Carbon monoxide deaths possibly from generator

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
8 REPLIES 8

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
It's crazy how it can happen. It was in the news a while back that some kids got CO poisoning while riding in a boat in the open air. One of them died.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
At an event there were a mix of tents and RV out on a very flat grass area of about 500x500 feet area.
RVers ran generators not being considerate of others. A guy in a tent got lucky and woke up feeling sick. He had CO poisoning from all the generators. Others who were sitting or standing did not get sick, so the CO was on the ground. No, CO is not heavier than air, but somehow seems to be more deadly on the ground than at a few feet up. Swamp gas CO in Africa has killed little kids and left adults untouched, and they thought it was a boogie man. Fortunately they know now and keep safe.
Im not sure if those cheapo loud construction generators are more deadly than the 4-stroke RV generators or not, but all this is good reason to be careful around generators....

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this on the news and there were a lot of RV and tents in a very small area. So much so the generator may have been their neighbors. Generators should not have been allowed.

Learn from this folks. Make sure your safety devices are up to speed.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Alas very common.. My RV generator would cuse the CO alarm to get very very annoying in just about 2 hours. So would my next site neighbor's

I invested in a Gen-Turi And after that I could run 25 horus and no annoying beeps.

A Good CO detector saves lives.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://i.imgur.com/8qCtY8tm.jpg

Lots of generators in very close proximity.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a much, much younger man I was exercising my generator five feet outside my garage but the wind was blowing the exhaust back inside. I was lucky. So easy to die.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes just sleeping in a car with engine on for the air-conditioning to keep cool.

Happened in Texas recently with the deep freeze.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Not alot of information on actual cause of deaths, yes generator related. Unfortunate that folks don't take the hazard of engin exhaust seriously.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu