cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

carrying a firearm

Brewski50
Explorer
Explorer
hope I can get an answer for a dilemma. I'm traveling with my 5th wheel and I want to go into Canada while traveling through the Northwest. I keep a sidearm in my vehicle or my camper for obvious reasons.
What am I supposed to do when I'm trying to cross over the Canadian border. I don't want to ship the pistol to my next us destination as I find that option ridiculous.
Any suggestions?
17 REPLIES 17

Brewski50
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not looking for a way to break the law.. I merely stated it is a dilemma..

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"What am I supposed to do when I'm trying to cross over the Canadian border. I don't want to ship the pistol to my next us destination as I find that option ridiculous. Any suggestions?"

Man, I wish all posts were this easy to take care of:

Do not, under any circumstances, try to take a pistol into Canada.

End of story, full stop, nothing to add.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:

x2. People can be attacked by thugs and criminals anywhere, even in the great nation of Canada. Leave the sidearm at home and get a legal shotgun, just as effective and will scare the hell out of the crooks.

You are aware you can not take ANY weapon into Canada for "Self-Defense", right?

Example I have to be going to a practice or tournament to take my Martial Arts weapons across, period.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
For short trips in and out at same location, there is local facilities to store your weapons.
Longer trips through Canada, leave it home!

What you can or cannot bring into Canada

First answer covered it all very well.

To add to the "uncle" story.......long - long - before 9-1-1, a friend "forgot" to check his handgun before entering Canada.
(He really did forget)..:S

He got to spend lots and lots (add a few more "lots") of time on the Canadian side of the border, wife in tears, etc...:(

Not a happy story. Can't imagine how many "lots" would be appropriate now...:(..:(

Been too long to recall what happened to his handgun - but, think he was happy to part company with it - WAY before he was permitted to go on his way.

BTW - don't bring any ammo either.
Hmmmmm - ammo = gotta be guns here somewhere!

~

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
...tick, tock, tick, tock.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to ship the pistol to my next us destination as I find that option ridiculous.

It might seem ridiculous, but other than the storage option mentioned by enblethen it's about your only option.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the above. Find a reputable gun dealer and drop them off for some "maintenance" (might as well spring for a trigger job on that sluggish 1911 or those night sights.) Another option is to do what a friend of mine does when he goes into Mexico. He leased a storage unit, had a gun safe moved into said unit (a real one... not a tin can Wally World special), and when he is getting ready, he stops by there, drops all his stuff in that safe (which has both a high security key lock and combination), and then goes on his way south.

The only exception is that some guns can be registered with Canada, mainly long guns and longer-barrel handguns. It is a lot of paperwork and has to be done well in advance, but can be done. However, in general, just find a place near the border to stash them.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use the same border crossing going into Canada and returning to USA.
Then prior to crossing border into Canada drop gun(s) and ammo off at local gun shop for 'cleaning'. Pick up upon return.

Do not take ammo across with you....it will cause you problems/issues.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Even if ammunition or shell casings are found they will conduct a detailed search of your RV/Vehicle.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
I had an uncle who carried a pistol into Canada once, but it took over 4 hours at the border and that was in 1956.

Today it's more serious, penalties can include:

*Loss of weapons
*Fines (four to five figures)
*Jail time
*Banned from ever entering Canada again
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
As noted, hand-guns, not really possible.
Long-guns/shot guns, only of you have plans to go hunting; documented, with license is a good idea.
Self defense is right out, period.
Pepper-spray, only Bear-Spray is allowed, again, self-defense is not
Even many Martial Arts weapons are banned, anything "hinged" and throwing stars (among others)

FYI, the Canadians bust people all the time for trying. In point of fact, if you have an NRA or other gun rights stickers, expect an in depth search.

If you have Texas, Alabama, etc plates, you are more likely to get an in-depth search, due to the perception that you are more likely to try to smuggle guns.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Brewski50 wrote:
What am I supposed to do when I'm trying to cross over the Canadian border.
You have to change your plans.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Brewski50 wrote:
hope I can get an answer for a dilemma. I'm traveling with my 5th wheel and I want to go into Canada while traveling through the Northwest. I keep a sidearm in my vehicle or my camper for obvious reasons.
What am I supposed to do when I'm trying to cross over the Canadian border. I don't want to ship the pistol to my next us destination as I find that option ridiculous.
Any suggestions?

Based on my research handguns are way too difficult to get into Canada, however, long guns are not. If you have a shotgun or rifle maybe that would be a better option for a trip in which you plan to cross the border. Do a google search and you can find the official Canadian Govt website that tells you what you have to do to carry a long gun across the border. They even have the form online to fill out. If you have a shotgun, the barrel has to be 18 1/2" or longer. The US rule is 18" so there are an awful lot of 18" bbl shotguns out there that you can take into Canada.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
I had an uncle who carried a pistol into Canada once, but it took over 4 hours at the border and that was in 1956.