Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CDC and the government may be loosening the lockdown

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
News

The states still control this tho but I would expect a lot of states to follow the suggestions. Not the Plague Centers tho. So maybe we will be able to RV again.

We are going out to find some cotton material that can be used to make washable masks. They recommend the stuff like tee shirts are made of. 6 or 8 layers. It will not stop viruses but will stop spray from coughs and sneezes.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
146 REPLIES 146

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is one idiot advisor from a certain presidential candidate that is calling to lock down the whole country for 12 to 18 months? How does he think an economy works?
Superbumper

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
The “flattening the curve” is hocus pocus, feel good math. All it means is that people are staying home and not getting infected. It doesn’t mean the virus is going away.

A golfer hits golf balls into the pond every-time he plays. If he quits playing, it’s a safe bet he will lose less golf balls. The pond is still there, so if he starts playing again he will lose golf balls. Maybe a condition for him to start playing again is to get some lessons.

At some point we have to get back to work. We have learned a few things over the past two
months about the virus and how to live with it. The folks in charge at all levels should focus on what procedures, what conditions must be met by a business (and their customers) to open for regular business. Some are obvious and should not have to be stated. If you’re sick stay home, do not go to work, do not go to restaurants. We already get the third degree, all but stripped searched when you go on planes. What’s one more test to see if you sick.

The virus does not move on it's own, people spread it around. Stop people from moving and the virus dies.
The virus doesn't live on anything for eternity. On certain surfaces it may last several days max. And at the end of that term the potency is far less than getting cough on.
On some surfaces it only lasts hours not days.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
The “flattening the curve” is hocus pocus, feel good math. All it means is that people are staying home and not getting infected. It doesn’t mean the virus is going away.

A golfer hits golf balls into the pond every-time he plays. If he quits playing, it’s a safe bet he will lose less golf balls. The pond is still there, so if he starts playing again he will lose golf balls. Maybe a condition for him to start playing again is to get some lessons.

At some point we have to get back to work. We have learned a few things over the past two
months about the virus and how to live with it. The folks in charge at all levels should focus on what procedures, what conditions must be met by a business (and their customers) to open for regular business. Some are obvious and should not have to be stated. If you’re sick stay home, do not go to work, do not go to restaurants. We already get the third degree, all but stripped searched when you go on planes. What’s one more test to see if you sick.

And these stay at home orders are giving the scientist that needed time to work on a vaccine. I myself would rather be safe than sorry. Others don't think that way...they think haphazardly, putting MILLIONS of people at risk. Of course, that's just my opinion.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sinterior wrote:
agesilaus wrote:

No offense but, those kinds of masks to me sound like having a peeing section in a swimming pool. A virus is a virus, coughs and sneezes or not, it spreads.

Surgeon General of the United States showing how to make masks

These are not meant to filter out virus, but to stop spray from coughs and sneezes. Even N95 masks will not stop virus, that requires a 0.1 micron filter which I defy you to breath thru.

As for eyes, wear a face shield or goggles, I have both for wood working. Glasses would probably stop some and saftey glasses more.

My point was, in order to stop the spread, not just slow it down, the masks don't stop the spread. Safe distancing is currently the only way to stop this thing, which by human nature will probably not work.

IMHO be worried, not complacent and make excuses for doing things you shouldn't.
Simply put, you won't stop the spread of this virus, all you can do is slow the spread. Thinking otherwise is just wishful thinking. As was originally stated a couple months back, eventually almost everyone will be exposed to this virus. Some will be exposed and not even know it, some will have mild symptoms, some will have more severe symptoms, and some will suffer fatal complications and die. The overwhelming majority of people will be fine.

Places with high concentrations of population are going to be hit harder because they don't have the infrastructure to treat thousands of cases of virus-induced complications. More spread out populations will have few issues. What works in Horton, Kansas is not the best thing to do in New York City.

Totally my opinion.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
wnjj wrote:
the new infection and admission rate is going down.

The RATE is going down SLIGHTLY.

But the number of new infections, new hospital admission, new positive test, new deaths is still going up every day, and will for two or three more weeks.

That is the flattening of the curve they talked about.

But until the numbers are actually declining, it will be very easy to loosen the safe distancing guidelines and start the rates going back up.

Yes. All it takes is a few dummies to start the rise of the curb again. It sounds like there are a lot of people here that are will to put my life at risk so they can have a little fun. Stay put and this will end sooner. It really is that simple.

No, it’s not that simple. Apparently you’re willing to put at risk the lives of those with no income and bills to pay. Two trillion dollars already and after less than two weeks they’re already asking for more. The current situation is not sustainable. Restaurant workers are not asking for “fun”. The news is just beginning to report the uptrend in drugs, domestic violence, drinking etc.

And it won’t end until most are immune. The current measures extend the duration of the problem to reduce the resource demand. Nothing in that will make it “end sooner” like you claim.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
wnjj wrote:

But the number of new infections, new hospital admission, new positive test, new deaths is still going up every day, and will for two or three more weeks.

But until the numbers are actually declining, it will be very easy to loosen the safe distancing guidelines and start the rates going back up.

Yes. All it takes is a few dummies to start the rise of the curb again. It sounds like there are a lot of people here that are will to put my life at risk so they can have a little fun. Stay put and this will end sooner. It really is that simple.

Sinterior
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

No offense but, those kinds of masks to me sound like having a peeing section in a swimming pool. A virus is a virus, coughs and sneezes or not, it spreads.

These are not meant to filter out virus, but to stop spray from coughs and sneezes. Even N95 masks will not stop virus, that requires a 0.1 micron filter which I defy you to breath thru.

As for eyes, wear a face shield or goggles, I have both for wood working. Glasses would probably stop some and saftey glasses more.

My point was, in order to stop the spread, not just slow it down, the masks don't stop the spread. Safe distancing is currently the only way to stop this thing, which by human nature will probably not work.

IMHO be worried, not complacent and make excuses for doing things you shouldn't.
Pete, Terry (Teresa) & Cira, 12lb furbag 🙂

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ
2017 Chev Equinox V6 AWD
Blue Ox Avail
Patriot II Braking system
Garmin dezl 560LMT

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
News

The states still control this tho but I would expect a lot of states to follow the suggestions. Not the Plague Centers tho. So maybe we will be able to RV again.

We are going out to find some cotton material that can be used to make washable masks. They recommend the stuff like tee shirts are made of. 6 or 8 layers. It will not stop viruses but will stop spray from coughs and sneezes.

That's a shame some areas are considering loosening the rules. This virus hasn't peaked yet. Those areas that decide to go against the professionals advice are playing with lives.
Well, there are certainly some professionals who disagree with you and say that the peak has passed. Go figure, just depends on who you choose to believe.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III

Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's a shame some areas are considering loosening the rules. This virus hasn't peaked yet. Those areas that decide to go against the professionals advice are playing with lives.

Really? This is coming from the CDC and do you have a PhD in Epidemiology? And an MD and experience in computer modeling?
Superbumper

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Son of Norway wrote:
Put a layer of a HEPA vacuum cleaner bag in the mask you make. Rated to 3 microns. Will give additional protection if you can get a good seal around the face.

Now that's a good idea. I thought about using some of that a/c or furnace filters that they sell.

There's actually a YouTube video on this and how to make 4 masks out of one HEPA filter, duckbill style is bet according to the maker of the video who is in the health field.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you are missing the point about masks.

The primary reason to wear a mask in public is to prevent YOU from unknowingly infecting others.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand how some workers can go back to work unless the jobs are like the Tru Green guy who works by himself. But even he must mingle back at the shop to fill the tanks. The grass cutters are working in my town and they wear masks. Many like the outlaws wore when robbing the old time banks.
I agree that the critical workers are still working.
Everyone has an opinion so here's mine. It will be at least a year before the social spacing can be lifted. Being on the down slope only helps the medical teams deal with the sick. It doesn't mean there are no more sick.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)