cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheap replacement for awning catch springs?

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just lost one of the springs pictured in the link below. I really don't want to spend $20 (w/ shipping) to replace just one tiny spring. Anyone have any thoughts on a cheap replacement?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/a-e-awning-slider-catch-with-springs-set-of-2/15502
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!
19 REPLIES 19

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It looks very similar to the spring used in my Echo weed eater, the spindle at the end that holds the cutting twine. You tap the end on the ground while it's spinning and it lets a new length of line out. The spring inside looks almost identical to the spring you're looking for. If you have a lawn mower repair shop, better yet, an Echo dealer anywhere near you, check with them.

However, by the time you get done running around, going from store to store, you may just end up spending more in fuel than if you just purchase it on line and the right one shipped to you. It's possible, even if you find something on line, it may look right, but it could be the complete wrong size.

Another thought, go to your local RV dealer, to their parts store and see if they have one.

There again, I hope it doesn't cost you a dollar to save a dime.

Good luck.

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thing is I'm not tall enough to lock it in place, the catch helps me
God bless!

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You don't really need that catch-with the rafter properly extended, it isn't going anywhere, but any hardware store will have a spring.
For me, the only time that catch actually keeps the rafter up is when I'm trying to stow it, adding a step.
-- Chris Bryant

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmm I don't know as I've seen that kinda thing in a hardware store but I did find this, maybe it could work? Anyone have experience?

http://www.amazon.com/Enkay-464-Spring-Assortment-101-Piece/dp/B005J4AU52/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=145...
God bless!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky

Go to a hardware store and see if they have anything similar or, something you could make work.