cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need opinions, anyone with experience?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Valentines day is just around the corner and the wife wants to get a set of walkie-talkies, like boaters uses on the water.

I've been wanting a set of these for a long time, and have suggested to her my interest, and she also thinks they would be fun (and handy) to have. The reason we have not purchased a set before is because we always use our I-phones for communication, even backing up the camper and finding each other in the grocery store.

For those of you who have them, do you find them useful (assuming you also have a cell phone too)? Do you actually use them? And if you do, when? Under what conditions that's different than a cell phone will do?

Cost is not a factor, We've come across some nice ones, even some that have built in weather alerts (which I think could be VERY handy just for this purpose alone ... camping and at home).

What's your thoughts? Those that have them, what do you use them for, other than for backing up the camper with a spotter? Need ideas, as I'm trying figure if this would be useful, or just end up in a yard sale some day?
32 REPLIES 32

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you want GMRS instead? up to 4 watts, better range/signal.

We had a pair of "23 mile range" radios. In practice in the woods, range was about 1 1/2 - 2 miles at the most.

FRS/GMRS

edit: don't forget that you need a license for GMRS only(yes, I had one for my Cobras)

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours all the time when going into or out of a spot with the RV. We do not move the RV around without a spotter and using the hand held radios. We also do not trust the people in the campground - we do our own spotting.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Breaker, breaker "Happy Valentine's Day"

I'm a bad example...I got my wife her own set of tools for her birthday. But that is what she wanted! Worked out good for both of us.

We use our radios when doing laundry, she calls when she is ready to be picked up. As I usually keep the car so I can do other errands when she is doing laundry.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours all the time for hooking up and for backing into sites. Cell phone is not an options for us since using our Canadian cell phones in the US is very expensive. We have 1 US pay as you go phone.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Valentines day is just around the corner and the wife wants to get a set of walkie-talkies,

Walkie-Talkies for Valentine's Day??? How many years have you been married?

When going 4-wheeling in a group we've used them, along with our CB radios. You can't rely on telephones in the boonies.

P.S. Think flowers or candy. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We have two pairs of waterproof Cobra GMRS radios and use them every time we camp. Very handy to instantly communicate with each other. Whenever anyone takes the kayaks out they take a radio with them and the kids love to place hide and seek in the campground using them. Also use when backing up the fiver. We can get around a mile range and with many channels and sub channels we never get cross talk.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've never found the need, but then, I'm single. But I'm also old. They might come in handy when I start talking to myself. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both of us are HAM radio operators. Have one in the truck & also a handheld but we use the FRS handhelds. They stay in the truck console & get used in the big box stores so we don't lose each other, around the CG when one goes for walk &, the primary use, directions for parking.

There is no reason for the driver to talk back. She talks. I listen & do what I am told. Getting out to have a look because of some doubt of what she is directing to do is extremely rare.

I like to think that we are very boring to watch when it comes to backins & it is all because of the radios.

Visual signals are important too. For final position she stands right where she wants a corner of the trailer to be. All that needs to be done is backup to her.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a set over five years ago and have never turned them on. Still carry them around in the rv, but we find that good hand signals work as well as anything when backing into a campsite.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are two different things.
Boaters use VHF radios which would cost you several hundred dollars for two of them.
I have one since I am an off shore kayak paddler. I can contact the coast guard, and any one else that has a VHF and also use it to monitor the NOOA weather which I do on a daily basis.
My VHF is an ICOM and is an excellent one

The other thing is walkie talkies which we also have. A pair of decent ones is about sixty dollars.
We use them every time I back up the trailer, and it eliminates all kinds of yelling, etc

jack L
Jack & Nanci

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
once the set of new walkie talkies arrives you will have to have "push the darned button" lessons. Several years now with them and it is time for her refresher course.:)
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Radios are great tools to aid in parking your RV, I do not understand how cell phones would be beneficial during that task? Driver needs hands on wheel guide need hand signals and voice when possible.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input! My wife just informed me she ordered a set. They'll be shipped to the house in a few days.

So, it sounds like (from the responses above) they come in most handy in circumstances when there is no cell phone service, or a situation where you just don't want to take your cell phone. Next, there's a good agreement they are very useful when backing into the campsite, and more convenient than a cell phone. (That in itself will make it worth it to have one. I agree, the cell phone is a bit awkward when backing in).

Sounds like these are the points to be aware of: The range or distance is not as advertised, it's much shorter. Batteries go dead if not attended to. And most folks finally discard them because phones have replaced them.

Those who use them, like them and still use them. Then there are those who find a cell phone does it all, so why use a walkie-talkie.

All valid and good and use tips, pointers, and ideas here.

We have been to a few campgrounds (especially Southern Indiana), where we had zero cell phone reception. I think we'll find uses for them. If nothing else, they will be a good back-up ... just in case!

Thanks everyone!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walkie-talkies are so old school.......just a step up from yelling out the window

Already paying for phone service so we use them. And IF no cell coverage----we just YELL out the window :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31