cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coffee Grinder?

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
The other topic about coffee brought this question to mind...

We use a french press while camping.

I'm looking for a coffee grinder that makes medium to largish grounds so the filter in the french press does a better job. We have been buying the pre-ground coffee for our trips, but don't like the grounds in our cups of coffee.

I'm not sure if we should have a small (non-electric) one to bring with us and grind new beans every day - or - one to leave at home and bring a jar of grounds with us.

Any suggestions?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
39 REPLIES 39

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m able to use my electric Krupps coffee grinder while camping in my Caravan by plugging a small inverter into my cigarette lighter. However, since the grinder pulls a little more current then my inverter was designed for, what I have to do is turn the grinder upside down so that the coffee beans arenโ€™t in with the blade. Once I get the blade spinning good and some momentum going I turn the grinder over and it continues to spin and grind just fine. This little work-around is based on the fact that electric motors require significantly more power at startup than they do to keep running once started.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
pasusan wrote:
The other topic about coffee brought this question to mind...

We use a french press while camping.

I'm looking for a coffee grinder that makes medium to largish grounds so the filter in the french press does a better job. We have been buying the pre-ground coffee for our trips, but don't like the grounds in our cups of coffee.

I'm not sure if we should have a small (non-electric) one to bring with us and grind new beans every day - or - one to leave at home and bring a jar of grounds with us.

Any suggestions?

If I remember right we bought a small electric one from Starbucks

JimR

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Different pre-ground coffee depending upon whether it is expected to be used with a drip percolator or a coffee machine. We use the Folgers Black Silk ground coffee in both a French press and a stove top percolator and it has the right ground for both. We much prefer the flavor with the percolator over the French press. Cleanup is easier as well.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
fred42 wrote:
Since this is considered a life support system, I have in the camper and one in the house.

http://www.target.com/p/mr-coffee-automatic-burr-mill/-/A-15093037#prodSlot=medium_1_9&term=coffee+g...

Had one for a little over over 2 years. It has many adjustments to get the perfect grind. We found ours at Walmart in stainless for about $40.
Walmart coffee grinder

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah, okay, I didn't pick up on the Costco thing. Thanks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"i do not and will not pay someone to shp in there store my money is just as good anywhere"

I don't understand that sentence(?) and I read it several times. ๐Ÿ™‚ What am I missing?

I think he's talking about Costco being a sales club with annual membership dues. I don't like it either but over the course of a year I save money and I like the quality of their house brand merchandise.

Steve

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"i do not and will not pay someone to shp in there store my money is just as good anywhere"

I don't understand that sentence(?) and I read it several times. ๐Ÿ™‚ What am I missing?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
Geocritter wrote:
musicman54 wrote:
only thing i know is i have been using folgers for 45 years never had to grind coffee

Many many years ago I felt the same as you do, I even drank instant coffee! Then in the mid-1970โ€™s we moved to Menlo Park CA and discovered Peets Coffee and the wonderful aroma and flavor of freshly roasted and freshly ground coffee beans and Iโ€™ve never gone back to pre-ground coffee. Itโ€™s just not that hard to brew excellent coffee, as for cost I currently purchase Costcoโ€™s Kirkland House Blend medium roast. It makes delicious coffee and at $5/lb itโ€™s a terrific bargain.

Steve
i do not and will not pay someone to shp in there store my money is just as good anywhere

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best coffee I ever had...... Was at a little restaurant in Palmdale CA (Mexican place)

Best coffee I ever made....

Years ago when my Darling Daughter who is now mother of my grandchild was still in high school she performed with an extracurricular orchestra, (First flute, one time ONLY flute). Well the deal was you had to either shelp the coffee service or buy (on a rotating basis) Bagles or donuts or stuff.. I had the storage space at home (My 13 foot SCAMP trailer) and a van that could hold it all so I offered to be the Sgt at Coffee Arms as it were. So for 3 years I was "The Bagel Dad". Got to meet some interesting people including one minister and a couple of DSO (Detroit Symphony) Members who had children in the same program.

For one of their concerts I was the coffee maker.. So i went to Meijer's Thrifty Acres and got some of their Breakfast Blend,,, This is a whole bean, they grind it at point of sale.. I used it that same day.

Went through 3 30 cup pots. (usually only made one figured possibly 2 with the Concert, did not count on having to make 3)

Thankfully I had brought an extra coffee pot with me. (my own that I used as a water heater in the Trailer or doing dishes, Since it did not have a water heater)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used Folger's as well, The advantage to whole bean coffee is that when I get around to brewing a couple cups of it it is fresh ground, Keeps a long, long time in whole bean form.

Folger's (less I buy the very expensive small cans) costs too much.

And the Cuisinart I mentioned said it si a burr gruinder,, I use a Braun knife mill here myself when I grind.. Alas, where I am now, whole bean is hard to find.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
musicman54 wrote:
only thing i know is i have been using folgers for 45 years never had to grind coffee

Many many years ago I felt the same as you do, I even drank instant coffee! Then in the mid-1970โ€™s we moved to Menlo Park CA and discovered Peets Coffee and the wonderful aroma and flavor of freshly roasted and freshly ground coffee beans and Iโ€™ve never gone back to pre-ground coffee. Itโ€™s just not that hard to brew excellent coffee, as for cost I currently purchase Costcoโ€™s Kirkland House Blend medium roast. It makes delicious coffee and at $5/lb itโ€™s a terrific bargain.

Steve

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
We got one of theserecently and love it. You can adjust the grind and how much. We have both a Bunn drip coffee maker and an espresso machine. With this unit I can grind the coarseness I need and the amount for both systems. :B

We got ours with points from something!
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a Cuisinart blade grinder for the last 6 years or so. It's a single pass type - doesn't regrind like the smaller ones do. Works just fine for us. We've also had a Braun and a couple of other brands over the years - they seem to have a service life of about 8 years.

The only issue with our present one is the chore of cleaning out the blade path every week or so, as the kind of beans we use tend to stick.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)