cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colour of water hose

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
The water hose between the tap and the trailer, why are they white? Any issues with using a new garden hose instead?
86 REPLIES 86

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Many non-potable water hoses contain things like lead. You don't want to use them.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
There was a time when drinking beer was healthier than drinking either water or milk.

And it still is......its 4:26 AM and I am having one right now. Beer....Breakfast of Champions and it's whats for dinner.

It has your 4 basic food groups. Water, Alcohol, Hops, Grain.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
There was a time when drinking beer was healthier than drinking either water or milk.

Yes, but what color hose did you use?

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, in my agriculture area of the state all of the lakes and rivers are so polluted that you are not even suppose to swim in them. We do it anyway but, they are not nice looking or smelling.

And, much of the ground water has high Nitrate levels from farm run off.

And, the public water supply is a Superfund Clean Up Site because the local industry used to throw away there bad paint in a dump up hill from the well head.

I once had a girlfriend that refused to drink any water. She only drank Mt.Dew. Because, after all, that stuff is so good for you.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, when I commented earlier about the old green garden hose, it was only to poke a bit of fun about all those things out there that will kill us. I certainly bought and use a "safe" drinking hose. It's a small price to pay to know I won't get dead from that product. But, I'm always on the lookout for everything else to kill me.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
My word! It must be difficult to live in a world where you think everything is going to kill you.
Whoosh.

Drinking from a hose not made from food grade material may not kill you. But, it does put chemicals into you which increase the risks, in addition to adding bad tastes.

You can get a 50' drinking water safe hose on Amazon for under $25, shipped. When you only save a couple of bucks with a non-potable water one, what reasonable argument is there against it? Getting better tasting water is worth it, regardless of what you think the chemicals are doing to you.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
My word! It must be difficult to live in a world where you think everything is going to kill you. People refuse to use their propane refrigerators because your RV will blow up. Now, you can't drink the water from a hose, you can't drink water at all unless it is bottled.

I do understand that there are places where the local water does not taste as good as you are used to and then bottled water would make sense. Other than that, I say use your RV as it was designed. Hook up to the city water and take advantage of the service. I prefer not to use my pump because of the noise. I also think my chances of contaminated water would be greater if it came out of the onboard tank.

It is a fact that a lot of bottled water comes out of a city tap somewhere. They might say "spring water" but that could mean that the city source has some spring water associated with it. I still can't imagine living with such fear. What do you do when you camp? Do you go outside? There are fungal spores blowing in the wind, there are parasites in the dirt, there are chemicals in the air. And don't forget the sun, boy that can cause skin cancer. Do you sit by a fire? So you roast marshmallows? Do you cook on a grill? Do you use charcoal? All of these are HUGE risks if you concentrate real hard.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Jacksons wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
johnhicks wrote:
And bottled water comes from municipal water supplies......

But then its treated furtherby running it through a sack of Kingsford, and reversed Psychosis.

and you actually witnessed this??

I think he was referring to charcoal filtration and reverse osmosis. ๐Ÿ™‚
common water treatment procedures.
bumpy

Osmosis, Psychosis, possibly Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I thought that a lot of streams are contaminated with some "bug" that can cause serious problems.
bumpy

Well, let's see. According to my copy of Tom Sheppard's VEHICLE DEPENDENT EXPEDITION GUIDE:

(And BTW, this book is about traveling ANYWHERE in the world - Asia, Africa, South America, Australia, & North America. I don't know which of these waterborne critters are or aren't in North American Water.)

Big Bugs - Parasites, Protozoa - Giardia, Cryptosporidia, Schistosoma, Amoebic Dysentery, worms. Range in size between 4 and 12 microns. Most are highly resistant to Chlorine and Iodine, but because of their size, they are removed by most good water filters of 5 microns or less.

Small Bugs - Bacteria - E. Coli, Bacillary Dysentery, Cholera, Typhoid, Leptospirosis. Range in size from 0.5 to 3 microns. Killed by chemicals like Iodine and Chlorine, Only the finest water filters of 1 micron or less will remove them.

Very Small Bugs - Viruses - Polio, Hepatitis, Rotavirus. Killed by chemicals, but are too small to be removed by water filters.

As I said, I'm sure many of these are only found in third world countries. But I'm sure some of them, at least, are found in American and Canadian water. E. Coli is, for sure.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
In search of the elusive middle ground:

I do detect a taste when I drink unflushed water from my garden hose.

And when camping, THE WATER DOES SIT IN THE HOSE INSTEAD BEING LIBERALLY FLUSHED OUT.

So, I do hook up with the official, hose-police-approved "white" hose- seems to taste better.

AND

I try to flush out my garden hose before drinking from it (need to do it to get cool water anyway- you know).

And, I'm sure my green hose contains materials, "known by the state of California to cause cancer".

However, my biggest worry is that the vast majority of water supplies contain extremely high levels of dihydrogen monoxide.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Jacksons wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
johnhicks wrote:

But then its treated furtherby running it through a sack of Kingsford, and reversed Psychosis.

I think he was referring to charcoal filtration and reverse osmosis. ๐Ÿ™‚
common water treatment procedures.
bumpy

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jacksons wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
johnhicks wrote:

Yes....when we toured the Funkmountain Pure Crystal Spring Water production plant in Clearwater Florida. Right before bottling they also do floccuflatulation.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.theledger.com/news/20080322/your-bottled-water-may-not-come-from-a-spring
-jbh-

Jacksons
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
johnhicks wrote:

2002 Rockwood 8272s
2005 Yukon xl Denali 6.0
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson