cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connecting to propane tank on motorhome

margemak
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if I can hook 2 10 ft hoses to be able to connect to a tee to run a couple items like lantern and BBQ ? I bought necessary hoses and coupler to add onto my onboard tank, however finally realized the hookup is on the drivers side which is not the side that is usually on the awning side of the motorhome so just wondered if I can add another extension onto it.
2000 Safari Continetal 330 Cat
11 REPLIES 11

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
The OP didn't ask how to connect and so I assume he knows how. If he doesn't then I suspect he'll ask.
As to how I did it;
I did it right.

It amazes me some of the smart ass replies posted here.

D.E. Bishop was only questioning whether the OP was doing it the safe way.

OP wrote:
Thanks for asking , each appliance has its own regulator, my hoses will be before the regulator on the motorhome.

The OP does not know the correct and safe way to connect the propane hose, as I outlined in my post above. And you criticize someone for asking???

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
OP wrote:
Thanks for asking , each appliance has its own regulator, my hoses will be before the regulator on the motorhome.

For safety's sake, I would run any hoses from the low side of the tank regulator and NOT from the high pressure side of the tank. Depending on the ambient temperature the tank pressure can get as high as 160 psig and maye higher. A hose failure could be disastrous at this pressure.

The low side of the regulator is usually set to 13" Water Column, which is less than 0.5 psi., a much safer pressure. You will have to remove any regulators hooked to the inlets of the lantern and BBQ grill. Do it the safe way.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're good to go with two hoses, think about your in house plumbing, some appliances are 20' away from the regulator and work fine.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Only issue I see is the added time it may take for the propane to reach your lantern or BBQ. I've had a hard time starting the lantern until a good amount of propane actually got through the long hoses and regulator, but after that it was great. The quick disconnects idea above (assuming they shut off or trap the propane in the hose, maybe if connected back together) might help.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Our systems connection uses quick disconnects well after the regulators. All accesories have had their regulators removed (an easy mod) and therefor the connections and lines are at low pressure which is a very safe scenario. Then we employed quick disconnects designed for this application.
Works great and there's no release of gas when making connections.
Doing anything else would have been nearly impossible to still draw off either tank when an auto switch over vavle is used.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best connection is a single high pressure tap ahead of the regulator, going out to a distribution "tree" (Coleman sells these). Your hoses from tree to appliances may be much shorter than multiple hoses from LPG tank.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

margemak
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Okay, I'll chime in for the propane police. How are you connecting to your propane system, will it be before or after the regulator, does your BBQ and/or your lantern have it's own regulator. Have you used yellow tape on fittings, ... ?

Thanks all
2000 Safari Continetal 330 Cat

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Okay, I'll chime in for the propane police. How are you connecting to your propane system, will it be before or after the regulator, does your BBQ and/or your lantern have it's own regulator. Have you used yellow tape on fittings, ... ?

The OP didn't ask how to connect and so I assume he knows how. If he doesn't then I suspect he'll ask.
As to how I did it;
I did it right.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, I did just that and after modifying my fire pit, stove and BBQ.
It's so nice to not have to carry a seperate cylinder!

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.