cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curious: difference between a WD hitch and Hensley Arrow

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Not owning a TT, but curious to know what the differences are (if any) between a WD hitch and a Hensley Arrow? Are they same thing? Have always read where a HA is super in keeping TT sway down, but I always was under the impression a WD does the same thing. If different, how so? Will a HA make a diff on a long TT ? Forgive me for asking a lot of questions, but as the old saying goes, curious minds want to know? LOL

TIA.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
38 REPLIES 38

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
I once owned a Hensley Arrow. I started with traditional WD and friction sway control. The HA was a game changer. If they cost $500 instead of $2500 I think many more TT owners would have one. I never had any wear or maintenance issues.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
HA is a very good hitch and controls sway very well. Unfortunately there are several parts considered wear parts. Those parts wear quickly and can cause other problems. For some reason I had lots of problems connecting the hitch to my TV. It was so frustrating that I sold the hitch with the trailer. I know I don't want any more and other hitches can do the job in a perfectly acceptable manner with much less care and feeding.

Gdub2
Explorer
Explorer
About $2,200

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
No TT should have much sway. Is the tongue weight adequate?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dedmiston
Moved from Roads and Routes.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm not mistaken, the ProPride is an improvement over the Hensley Arrow. Jim Hensley, the designer and holder of the patents on the design, licensed them to HA. He continued to make improvements and patents, and ProPride now licenses his improvements, creating a near similar hitch but with improvements. Does that mean it's better? I can't say, but we have used a ProPride and loved it.

I'd take either one -- but when we bought the PP, it was a matter of cost...less $$$ to buy new than HA.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick it's the ProPride 3P, they came to market with the same 4-bar design after Hensley's patent expired.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Our Equal-i-zer `reduces' the sway but the HA `elimates' the sway. It's an engineering marvel. There is one other product that uses the same principle as the HA but I can't think of the name now.
Senior moment...again.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Hensley Arrow IS a WD hitch. Weight distributing simply means that spring bars are used to eliminate the sag at the hitch point by "distributing" weight from the tongue to the front and rear of the rig.

The primary difference is that the Hensley design uses a 4-bar linkage to eliminate sway. Rather than allowing the trailer to pivot on the hitch ball like a regular WD hitch, the 4-bar linkage locks the movement of the trailer on the ball and uses geometry to create a "virtual pivot point" that is forward of the rear axle of the tow vehicle, making a TT tow like a 5er.

There is a STICKY HERE on the TT forum titled Hensley Arrow- How It Really Works. It's many many pages and has some fantastic posts by Ron Gratz. Ron full times in a Class A and is a brilliant (retired) engineer who shed a lot of light into the mechanics of what makes the Hensley such a good hitch. Ron hasn't posted here in a while, not sure if he is still RVing.