cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curt Triflex Proportional Trailer Brake Controller OK?

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to help a friend (I know, that's what they all say) obtain a proportional (as opposed to time based) trailer brake controller as soon as possible. And I'm doing this remotely, as he is in another state.

For older vehicles without a built in trailer brake controller, the current "go to" standard seems to be the Tekonsha Prodigy P3. But since this brake controller is not readily available to my friend locally, I kept looking, and found a store that carries this Curt Triflex.

I didn't even know that Curt made trailer brake controllers, as I have all Tekonsha in my vehicles (albeit earlier models than the P3).

Should I have my friend hold out for a P3 online mail order, or would it be ok to recommend the Curt TriFlex, about which I know nothing.

What are your opinions and observations regarding the Curt TriFlex?

Frankly, I'm not pleased with what Cequent and now Horizons Global have done to America's most well known and respected towing product brands during the last decade... so I'd be delighted to try a Curt product.

But when looking at the reviews... 3,900+ reviews averaging 4.9 stars beats 350 reviews averaging 4.7 stars by more than just the two tenths difference in averaging.

So I put it to the rv.net experts here. Any experience with the Curt TriFlex?
5 REPLIES 5

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Curt triflex and it's been the best controller I've owned.....park on level ground and follow simple directions.
Have not readjusted or skidded a tire since.

That said, I've not owned the Prodigy.

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
To close the loop on this, I played it safe and ordered the Tekonsha P3.

Still curious about Curt brake controller products, so those who have them might consider posting their experiences, good or bad, so that future readers can get a sense of how Curt's higher end brake controller models stack up against the industry standard that Tekonsha has seemed to set for years now.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sorry, never heard of it.

I just downloaded the instruction sheet for the Triflex, and the adjustment procedure is very similar to the OG Prodigy and P2 procedures.

It seems to function in a very similar manner to the Prodigy series, and might be worth a look.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend the P3. Order today, install this weekend.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I recently got a Curt 51180 ECHO Bluetooth brake controller. Best part? No installation and NO wiring and it works. I love it. Bit pricey but worth it.

Curt ECHO
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog