Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Desert heat

Tjuice
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
Will be heading out the SW portion of the US in a couple weeks. Some of the places we'll be staying will be 100+ degrees for the highs.
What do I need to take into consideration with my TT to avoid a total meltdown?
Thanks in advance for any tips.
60 REPLIES 60

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
during my summers in arid-zona. i installed an aux fan on the outside/back of the refrigerator, by circulating more air through the heat exchanger.. it was able to deal with the hot desert air.
also i found a small window a/c to help cool the r.v. as the factory unit couldn't keep the r.v. cool.. i bought the r.v. with the largest btu unit available...

if you get into a dust storm, turn off the a/c. as some dust storms are combined with a thunderstorm. the moisture will turn the dust to mud, that hardens like brick. which is a challenge to clean from the a/c condensing coils...

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
juice0000 wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote:
Get shade if you can, avoid small canyon or areas that block the breeze. You'll need the breeze. Drink lots of water.

Thanks.
Should I worry about tires & breaks? We will be moving around a lot.
. If tires are less than four years of age and brakes have been maintained and working now, you should be fine if not overloaded.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
Naio had the answer! Elevation can mean all the difference in the world.

Also, if it happens to be rain season, this will cool things down greatly.

If you are meaning the actually South West, Washington State is not a part, most of the south west will have enough elevation & be dry enough, it will cool off a lot at night. Often enough not to need A/C.

New Mexico is good one for finding good elevations & for cooling off at night, even in most lower elevations.

Some Sites & Sights
:C Cloudcroft, Alamogordo Area NM South

Southern New Mexico Sites & Sights

:C Here's a little for New Mexico North.

Chaco Canyon is neat to see as well in New Mexico off US 550 from ABQ. Our Chaco Canyon Trip Part One in 2012. A hard one to get back into at times. Part Two Why we wanted to do the trip only in the pickup. One could see a good part in one day if get there early enough. If not in an RV. Shouldn't have trouble taking your Winnebago View on the road taking it easy on the rough sections. Chaco: Hikes & Information
Ditto

Some other ruins in the Aztec area as well. What To See

Near Bloomfield/Aztec os Navajo Lake State Park, the second largest lake in the state, with multiple campgrounds. We stayed at the Pine River Campground some years ago, very nice place. We canoed on the "arm" which is a flooded canyon of the Pine River which leads up towards Colorado. Very nice. There is a CO Navajo State Park as well. Never been to it. NM's would be less expensive I believe.

๐Ÿ˜ž Four Corners Monument (where four states intersect at one point: Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado) & Four Corners Tribal Park, Hwy. 160 & 60 miles NW of Farmington, IMHO isn't worth the effort to see & from I have read isn't at the correct location. We went by it years ago before it became a Tribal Park, but wouldn't advise anyone to make the effort. It was the original marker when we stopped (a simple concrete pad), but has since been redone in granite and brass. Now with a Cost: $3.00/person.Wrong Place and Ditto Wrong Place

The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is a coal-fired, steam-operated, narrow gauge train that travels through the remote wilderness of the southern Rocky Mountains between Chama, NM and Antonito, CO. http://cumbrestoltec.com/

North of Santa Fe, almost into Colorado & on the way to Durango & on to Mesa Verde: Chama Area. The very neat Cumbres Toltec Steam Train runs from & to Chama & Antonito (Colorado); turns soon after Cumbres Pass Station & head cross country to Antonito. One can do a halfway trip (which we did a few years ago), a 'free' meal at halfway point (price included in tickets). Good food there & plenty of it. Cumbres Toltec Steam Train Depending on the time of the year, one might be able disperse camp above Cumbres Pass in Nat'l Forest (in Colorado). There is a campground there called: Trujillo Meadows. Not sure if it will be open when you need it or not.

Or Going North from ABQ toward Mesa Verde or South from it: Two neat stops, north of Abiquiu, worth a see would be the Echo Amphitheater, a Natural rock formation, and the Ghost Ranch Piedra Lumbre Education and Visitor Center, located on U.S. Highway 84 just one mile north of the main Ghost Ranch entrance, has exhibits and a gift shop. A very nice museum in "OยดKeefe Country." The Echo Amphitheater is past the visitor center some miles.

Santa Fe & Northern New Mexico:
Hiking Santa Fe Nat'l Forest

:C Santa Fe & Bandelier Nat'l Mon't area of New Mexico -A Trip Report 2012. This was in August.

Los Alamos is a very neat small city in itself. Free bus system with very neat buses. Very pretty setting up in the high country. Somewhat of a gated community as well. We only drove through & stopped at a SuperMarket. A nice town. http://www.visit.losalamos.com/
http://www.losalamosnm.us/transit/Pages/default.aspx Between Santa Fe & Taos as well.

More on the Santa Fe Area Expanded & ABQ.

Santa Fe (Eating):
We had very good Asian from Jinja Bar & Bistro in Santa Fe last summer. Just stumbled onto it in a thunder/rain storm. We did carry out, but it was a very nice restaurant. Went back this summer & ate in the restaurant with our daughter & grandson. All enjoyed the food.

Someone at the AAA office recommended Tortilla Flats in Santa Fe; it prove to be very good as well.

Normally, we would eat on the Plaza, from Cart Vendors, such as Roque's Carnitas. Cart Cuisine, but they were not there that week-end. Due to the 'Santa Fe Indian Market', "a 91-year-old Native art market", we didn't find the normal street food venders on the Plaza. We did eat once at one of the 'Indian' vendors, but the lines were extremely long. Also at a roasted corn vendor.

Hyde Memorial State Park above Santa Fe (most of the state parks have free showers, but none there).

Find a Park Map. NM State Parks: $10 no hookup, $4 for electric, not entry fee on top of camping fee.

Cochiti COE Campground & Tent Rocks Nat'l Park in Northern New Mexico Off I-25: Near Santa Fe - Very Neat Area. Could be hot in summer.

Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument neat place to hike: Hikes and Ditto

New Mexico Scenic ByWays

Georgia O'Keefe Museum, in Santa Fe. A neat town with lots of arts to see. Not only the O'Keefe Museum will have her work, some of the NM State Museums do as well. http://www.okeeffemuseum.org/

As for Indian Art & Culture, The Museum of Indian Arts and Culture/Laboratory of Anthropology is located on Museum Hill, which has The Wheelwright Museum. https://wheelwright.org/

Lot of Indian Vendors on Sidewalk in front of the Palace of the Governors most of the time. As well of other vendors along many of the streets around the plaza & to it. Not to mention all the galleries & shops.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Elevation, elevation! Go up in the mountains.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF you do choose to buy a hat I suggest you consider one that has UV protection. Ordinary hats do not block UV.

At least that is what my older brother told me. He is a survivor of stage 4 melanoma of the liver. He pays attention to this type of detail.

He got his at REI.

He and I both wear UV long sleeve shirts.

I need to get a new hat.
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
RV CONUS wrote:
Everyday between Jun 1- August 31 that I don't get 100 degrees and dust; I send the governor a letter requesting a tax rebate.

Laughlin, NV

Does the gov send you a coupon for discounts on Rx for Valley Fever?..:@

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure your tires are up to max pressure. Most RV breakdowns in the heat seem to be due to tires. Also if your batteries are old, replace them. Battery life is very short at high temps. When I lived in Phoenix, I never made it two full summers on the same car or truck batteries.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
coolbreeze01 wrote:
If your AC is working, no worries.
+1

Plug it in and grab a cold beverage.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
juice0000 wrote:
Hello,
Will be heading out the SW portion of the US in a couple weeks. Some of the places we'll be staying will be 100+ degrees for the highs.

I live in the SW heat and looking to get out of here in July, heading north, why would you want to travel here in July and August I have no idea.

However if you must get some of that roll foil insulation they sell at Lowes and cut it to fit your windows, you will need that for sure, forget looking for shade because any parks that have any shade is already occupied, don't do heavy stuff outside from noon till 6 pm, make sure your TV is in good running condition, good radiator, good tires and batteries and bring lots of fresh water because we are running low on that..

:B

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
juice0000 wrote:
Hello,
Wait until November!

Have you thought about the high country around Flagstaff. In hot weather elevation is your friend.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Thirty two ft and 15,000 btu means it will be quite warm inside.
If yours has 50 amp it may be wired for a second air conditioner already and have place under the roof liner already to install one with usual things.
If not, if convenient for you have one installed anyway. Run it with a second 30 amp cord or fifty amp cord and do the conversion later.
Our Holiday Rambler came with one but was set up for two and it was 50 amp.
Our MH runs two big ACs on thirty amp, when we have to but use the microwave too and it sheds one ac.
Good shop will fix it right up and maybe not too expensively.

Tjuice
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Any chance of re-routing your trip? Do the northern portion first then come down to the desert when the monsoons have begun and it cools off?

Siteseeing in the heat we're having will not be fun. Better take an anti-crabby pill! ๐Ÿ™‚

Your biggest concern will be your refrigerator. Definitely try to park so it gets afternoon shade at least.

Have the silver insultation product for your windows. They really help.

Don't try dry camping. You really need air conditioning in this heat. Bring along an extra fan or two to move the air.

Good luck!

Have to be home by mid-August, or else I would. We will have hookups so we can run AC, I would never try without it! We will have to go out in early morning and evenings, plan on doing siestas during the worst of the heat.
Thanks

Tjuice
Explorer
Explorer
eichacsj wrote:
Drink water a lot! If you wait until you get the headache you waited way to long. So like stated above know heat stroke. https://www.facebook.com/tim.fruitman?fref=hovercard

If you only have 1 13k AC it will run constantly and may get down to 80. Gaging on a 28 - 30 ft RV.

Wait until the monsoons when it is cool! not hardly that is when temps are still above 100 24 hours and now you have 80% or more humidity. We do not call it the dog days of summer for nothing. It is brutal until late Oct.

For the fridge we have 2 of these; http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/fridgecool-fan-with-on-off-switch/38134 It circulates the air over the coils and keeps your fridge quite cool. We have ours set at 6 (propane, elec. not as efficient) and things are cold. Be sure and put them both on same side. The batteries last all camping season for us.

Later fall, winter, spring is really the better time to come here.

Good luck

Thanks.
The TT is 32' and has a 15btu a/c. I think we'll put it to the test and bring fans.
I will look into the fridge fans.
We have a little one still in school, so summer is our only time for big trips unfortunately.