cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dinghy Back Up

Katy_Did
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. I am a newbie. I am considering towing 4 down. I have a couple of simple questions.

1. I am reading that I will be unable to back up a 4 down tow. Can anyone tell me why? I know, may be a simple answer, but if the car is in the neutral, why can it not be backed up?

2. I have a 2013 Smart Car. I am getting feedback I am unable to tow it, so I am considering trading it in for a Chevy Malibu. Any thoughts from those that are experienced. I have a small 23E Thor and do not require a truck. Just a small get around.

I would appreciate your help.
25 REPLIES 25

gasser9
Explorer
Explorer
The caster angle is set to go FORWARD not back the front wheels cramp in one direction or another & bend the towbar. I f they don't cramp off you can back forever but usually 3 to 10 feet they will cramp resulting in buying a new tow bar. If you can find someone stu*** brave enough to steer the toad be sure to stat it so the power steering helps. Do not pot thumbs inside the wheel so when it cramps they will not be broken.

Katy_Did
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all very much. Sounds like I can if needed and only a bit. So I'm taking advice to do so only if I really get myself into a situation. Glad to know all this! Thank you all!

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I had a guy park in front of me and effectively blocked my exit. I had to back a little to get the bus out and I watched the wheels start to reverse, stopped and turned the steering wheel the way I wanted it to go. Backed up without further issues. I have read others that have someone steer the towd to keep the wheels in proper relation to the backing effort.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
All the tow bar and systems warnings warn that you cannot and should not back up a toad that is hooked up and towed 4 down. HOWEVER, it can be done and some on this and other forums do it when necessary. I myself have done it for up to half a block, but to do it takes practice, a good spotter and a lot more practice. It's been my experience that a number of Class A drivers have major problems just backing their rig into a back-in spot at a campground. Obviously they have no business pushing the "R" button with anything hooked behind. For those who are willing to invest the time and effort to learn a difficult skill, IT CAN BE DONE DESPITE ALL THE "CHICKEN LITTLE" WARNINGS PRINTED AND ABOVE POSTS, I and others do it.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I've never tried as I have heard the steering wheels will turn and then you are wearing out your tires

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
I've done it before when I got caught in a bind, but only for a short distance to get straighten out. No Damage.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a couple members here towing Smart Cars. Don't give up on the towing idea just yet.

My doctor says "Just because you haven't done something doesn't mean it can't be done."

But for backing it's "Just because you can do something doesn't mean it should be done."

You may be able to back up a couple feet. Even a longer distance if everything is straight and level. But you're more likely to bend something.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The caster alignment in the front end causes the wheels to track in the given direction. But unlike a grocery cart cannot turn around when in reverse. They stop turning at the stops resulting in a damaged tow bar.

You should:
1. Plan ahead so that you don't have to backup.
2. If you have to unhitch and you're blocking traffic ... take a deep breath and unhitch.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Towing guide(s)
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
We were parked next to a guy at the FMCA Rocky Mountain Rally who towed his Smart Car everywhere. His was a manual transmission (do they even make an auto)
Anyway, he did it.
You don't back because your steering column is left unlocked and the front wheels turn freely to track. If you back the front wheels can turn counter to the angle causing all types of unpredictable problems. I have backed a foot or two with an observer checking all the time to better reach a fuel pump. But that's it.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
You don't want to back up when you're towing because you risk bending the tow bars. They're for pulling - not pushing.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!