cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinghy Towing 5200lb Durango with Winnebago 37' 454 Engine

Dr_Chenny
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to the RV world. I purchased a 2000 Winnebago Adveturer 37G with V-10 454. I would like to know if it can dinghy pull a 2005 Dodge Durange 4x4 Hemi with a CURB weight of 5200lbs. Will it be able to make up those hills??

Thanks!!!!

Chenny
6 REPLIES 6

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion, NOT a recommendation nor an "OK, go ahead and do it":
Yes, I think you CAN tow it. You won't set any acceleration or speed records, and you may not be able to use overdrive very often, and you will have to inspect your entire hitch assembly often for bends and/or cracks and or loose/stretched bolts, but it can be done.
Would I do it, if it were MY rig? Probably. SHOULD you (or anybody else) do it?
That isn't my decision to make.
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Dr.Chenny wrote:
It is a ford.

then it's probably not a 454 but a SuperDuty F53 producing 305 hp and you likely have a Class III hitch which is rated at 5000-lbs.

the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (food, fuel, water, LP, clothing, supplies, pets, people and misc. stuff); OR

- the weight rating of the MH hitch (Class II 3500-lbs, Class III 5000-lbs, Class IV 10,000-lbs); OR

- the weight rating of your towbar
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep it out of OD for sure and run a gear lower than normal down hill and up. Knew a guy with the same MH engine that towed a full size Dodge 4x4 and claimed it handled it well but that was a one time conversation. Besides the transmission weak link that is over the hitch limits I expect too.

Dr_Chenny
Explorer
Explorer
It is a ford.

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a Ford or Chevy?

Either way the transmission will be your weak link I expect.

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't think so. 4000lbs is about all you could tow and with rig as big as yours and that would be slow going uphill and more importantly downhill. Good luck.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.