cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinghy Towing guide

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me why some vehicles that can be flat towed are not listed such as the Honda CRV AWD auto? Are there other AWD auto trans vehicles that aren't listed or is this pay for print?

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/CR0000/CR0000O00176A.pdf
31 REPLIES 31

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
Bump... Anyone?

Gnarley wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the GMC Acadia Denali AWD? This has the Andriod Auto I want and everything else it seems! This would meet my needs and should be good for a few years. One thing about these GMC vehicles they all tend to have significant space in the wheel arches for towing weight adding to the step-in height to the floor and I'd likely lower it 2-4 inches!

Acadia FWD/AWD 3,956 65 MPH/None N/A Yes 21/26 $29,070-$44,920
Run engine at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for 5 minutes

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have experience with the GMC Acadia Denali AWD? This has the Andriod Auto I want and everything else it seems! This would meet my needs and should be good for a few years. One thing about these GMC vehicles they all tend to have significant space in the wheel arches for towing weight adding to the step-in height to the floor and I'd likely lower it 2-4 inches!

Acadia FWD/AWD 3,956 65 MPH/None N/A Yes 21/26 $29,070-$44,920
Run engine at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for 5 minutes

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Gnarley wrote:
What I'm looking for is a used car perhaps a nice used 2014 -2017 that I can use as a daily driver with AWD and auto trans that gets respectable mpg and has 4 doors so I can also use it to transport my elderly parents when needed that's comfortable and somewhat luxurious with leather and quiet which has easy entry on the passenger side for both the front and rear occupants.

Look at a Ford Flex, or Lincoln MKT. Both towable 4 down. My parents are 85 and 86. Mom has limited mobility. They have a Flex and refuse to ride in any other car. The doors are big, and open wide.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gnarley wrote:
What I'm looking for is a used car perhaps a nice used 2014 -2017 that I can use as a daily driver with AWD and auto trans that gets respectable mpg and has 4 doors so I can also use it to transport my elderly parents when needed that's comfortable and somewhat luxurious with leather and quiet which has easy entry on the passenger side for both the front and rear occupants.
The 14 CRV meets your requirements.

Moving up the ladder is the 17 Lincoln MKX, owners manual says it can be flat towed. Both of these cars are AWD.

My 14 Grand Cherokee Overland can be flat towed. However only those with the right drive train. It's heavy at 5200 lbs and it's high which may not be suitable for seniors. 4WD and definitely not as comfortabe ride as the others above - think truck like ride.

Warning. EPS is a popular steering setup for newer cars for various reasons. But various makes and models DO NOT have adequate damping to be towed and can develop wobble when flat towed. Google Death Wobble. Hydraulic steering does not have this problem. This can occur for aligned cars with no worn parts not lifted and will not be documented in the owners manual.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
One problem with flat towing, especially FWD cars, is that the differential heats up the transmission fluid and there is no way to cool it. While the heat may not damage the fluid, it will expand. Now the fluid level is too high and may come in contact with the rotating gears. This puts air bubbles in the fluid which causes more heat and eventually it pukes out the fill tube.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

The easiest way and the correct way is to go looking at the cars you like that 'also' fit into your towing weight requirement. Then...โ€ฆ

1. open glove box of car
2. pull out car manual
3. Under recreational towing it will tell you whether the
car can be towed four down or needs a dolly.

Straight from the manufacturer is the 'correct' answer.

Best advice here.
bumpy

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I think Honda CRVs are flat towable with an auto trans only certain older years. Some vehicles towable aren't now if they have switched to a CVT(continuously variable transmission). In fact I doubt any CVTs are towable and mamy conventional auto trans vehicles aren't either. A real problem since it's getting harder and harder to find manuals even if they make them. I believe that the owner's manual is the final authority. If it doesn't specify a "towing behind a motor home" section in the manual it probably isn't towable even if some other sources say it is. Not to say you couldn't but it would be risky and uncovered by warranty.
Jayco-noslide

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Gnarley wrote:

The easiest way and the correct way is to go looking at the cars you like that 'also' fit into your towing weight requirement. Then...โ€ฆ

1. open glove box of car
2. pull out car manual
3. Under recreational towing it will tell you whether the
car can be towed four down or needs a dolly.

Straight from the manufacturer is the 'correct' answer.

With my first toad, I too spun around reading all these so called complete towing articles that you will find are not complete and/or accurate.

Just read the cars manual for towing specs and the door panel for weight. IMHO I will not take info on whether any car can be towed 4-down unless I read it in the cars manual. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œWhat I'm looking for is a used car perhaps a nice used 2014 -2017 that I can use as a daily driver with AWD and auto trans that gets respectable mpg and has 4 doors so I can also use it to transport my elderly parents when needed that's comfortable and somewhat luxurious with leather and quiet which has easy entry on the passenger side for both the front and rear occupants.โ€

Who isnโ€™t? lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
We flat tow a 2016 Ford Edge Sport AWD with an automatic trans. Is very comfortable. 88 year old MIL likes riding in it, says it is easy to get in and out of. Leather seats, all the bells and whistles. 3.5L EcoBoost gets decent gas mileage as long as you drive reasonably. I have a heavy foot and still get mid 20's with mix of around town and highway.

Thanks, I know Ford makes several vehicles that can be flat towed, I just have trouble thinking of myself driving one! We've had a "sport" SUV before and the ride was a bit firmer than I wanted. I'm looking for the luxury type, maybe a Caddi or a Lincoln SUV, which can be flat towed? I would also like the interior to be quiet if at all possible due to the terrible roads in Northern CA. Don't get me wrong about cars I also drive a 2016 Corvette Z51, it's very firm but it's surprisingly quiet after adding some additional sound deadening and insulation.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
We flat tow a 2016 Ford Edge Sport AWD with an automatic trans. Is very comfortable. 88 year old MIL likes riding in it, says it is easy to get in and out of. Leather seats, all the bells and whistles. 3.5L EcoBoost gets decent gas mileage as long as you drive reasonably. I have a heavy foot and still get mid 20's with mix of around town and highway.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
It's my understanding that 2014 was the last year you could flat tow a CRV, like Ken said because of the change to a CVT transmission in 2015. Those transmissions are becoming increasingly used in all makes and models and is making it difficult to find anything to tow other than a Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.

Thanks, maybe 2015 is the last CRV? I'm not sure your other suggestions are credible, noting the guides that are available that show Dinghy's from many others that can be flat towed.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
"making it difficult to find anything to tow other than a Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee"

Ford has 9 vehicles that can be flat towed this year without modification. I am sure other brands let you flat tow not just jeep.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
It's my understanding that 2014 was the last year you could flat tow a CRV, like Ken said because of the change to a CVT transmission in 2015. Those transmissions are becoming increasingly used in all makes and models and is making it difficult to find anything to tow other than a Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams