cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need a weight distribution hitch?

KDS
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone. First post here. My wife and I are considering getting off the ground and trading the old tent in for a hybrid travel trailer. We are looking at the 23' Rockwood Roo. My tow vehicle is a 2002 Ford F-250 crew cab long bed 4x4 with camper package and 7.3 diesel.

I have towed boats all my life but have never used a weight distribution hitch. Will I need one for this trailer? Dry weight is only around 4,500 lbs. thanks for the help as we learn before we buy!
19 REPLIES 19

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Having a WDH with sway control built in would make for a nicer towing experience.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You do not need sway control either as long as you keep plenty of tongue weight... more is better. Many decades ago I put 400 lbs of bargains in the back of a 20' Airstream. At 45 MPH it tried to take me to the scene of the accident but my manually putting on the trailer brakes (only way you could back then) I was able to get stopped and moved half the the stuff to the front. Never made that mistake again.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

KDS
Explorer
Explorer
I guess dealer was just trying to make an extra sale. He swore up and down I needed one. It didn't pass my smell test but wanted to make sure.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
What on earth are you planning to put in that Roo that will weigh so much you'll need a WDH with an F-250 diesel?

Short answer, no, you will not need a WDH for a 4,500 lb (dry weight) trailer. Unless you plan to fill it with 10,000 lbs or so of lead. Or gold.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not only NO, but Heck NO. I have exact same truck except extra cab, not crew. You do not need more weight on the front tires. It will not even get the extra rear spring to hit... do anything.

I have tied my bumper and receiver together so I can put more than 1000 lbs of tongue weight without WD.

Welcome to the forums... lots of usually good free advice although there are too many weight police on here.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...