cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do Onan generators burn oil?

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have about 100 hours on our Onan 5500 in our 2018 Miramar. I changed the oil around 20 hours and I hadn't checked the oil since. We took a trip this weekend and I checked the oil. It looked like the oil was about halfway down the safe mark. When I changed the oil it was at the top. I need to top it off a little but I am wondering if this is normal? None of my vehicle engines burn any oil.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
17 REPLIES 17

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Perfectly normal, small air cooled engines will use some oil, that is why Onan says this:

Itโ€™s good practice to check the oil level daily or every 8 hours of operating time. Keep the oil level as near as possible to full, but do not overfill. Overfilling may cause foaming and engine shutdown. Replace the cap tightly to prevent leakage. And if your generator has an oil filter, change it when you change the oil.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
It shouldn't burn any noticeable oil at 100 hours. I suspect the filter and oil passages took up some of the oil after you first checked it. Top it off and enjoy it.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not generally.
My guess there was air trapped in the filter. It cleaared and now down a little.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker