cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does Ready Brake / Ball Mount Slop need gussett chains

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
First let me say I have never flat towed my Jeep except around the block the other day. Maybe someone with a ready brake can advise me.
I have found that with my Ready Brake installed and a 13" ball mount (hole to hole, that is about 5" longer than standard, I have plenty of cornering clearance.
With this assembly though I have 1 1/8 in to the left and about 3/4 to the right worth of slop, so I'm wandering if this is acceptable or do I need gusset chains to keep it centered. I'm sure this sounds ghetto but, looks to me I could eliminate a lot of the slop by installing shims in the female tubes.

Btw, the extension is needed to get out from underneath my truck camper, when hauling the four wheelers on a trailer I use an 18" extension and that slop doesn't seem to affect anything.
thanks for any help on this
2006 Dodge Quad 2500/4X4/SWB/CTD/Auto
2013 Lance 825
Rancho 9000XLs Firestone Bags
2002 Jeep TJ Sahara Auto 6cyl
2 REPLIES 2

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II

It's an "Immobilizer" from BlueOx. They have one that clamps in only one direction (and so does Roadmaster) but this one boxes your drawbar into a corner instead of just down.

In answer to your question, I believe that if you do not take that wobble out of your towbar rig, your Jeep will bump at the back of your camper and try to steer it off course.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
I would think shims could work. With drop bars and extensions it can get pretty sloppy back there. I fabed a compression bracket that I tighten down with the drop bar, but the ready brake needs to compress.

Good Luck
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually