cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Duracell Ultra 6V Golf Cart Battery

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use these Duracell Ultra 6V Golf Cart Batteries from Batteries plus? Only $99 when ordered online and picked up in-store. Want to get 2 6 volt golf cart batteries to start with, then maybe got to 4 eventually. The price for those Trojans is just a little steep.
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.
12 REPLIES 12

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:

They do seem to get corroded battery terminals purdy quickly. Though cleaning them once a year seems to do the trick.

1. Clean the posts and terminals with baking soda and water. Rinse well and dry
  2. Put a good gob of axle grease on top of the posts and spread it out at least 1/2" past the edge of the post.
    Replace terminals
  3. Put another gob of axle grease on top making sure to cover all of the metal.

CavemanCharlie wrote:
After the 2nd year I had to add water.

You really should check the fluid level at least every 6 months, more often if you are in a warm area of have a lot of charge/discharge cycles.

I do clean them with baking soda and water. I will try the Axel Grease. Thanks !!!

It is hard to access my batteries so I check water levels once a year. I did not have to add any until the 2nd year. I suppose as they get older I will have to add more often.

I do not live in a warm area and I have never discharged them very far. I'm just a weekend camper with using 2 -125's Even running the furnace on a 40 degree night doesn't seem to draw them down very far. Then I go back home, plug them back in, and charge them right back up.

Love them. Everyone else I camp with is so worried about power and I can park anywhere for the weekend.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
My golf cart batteries came from Sam's Club, and I think they're Duracell branded. (I can't tell for sure without pulling them out of the battery holder in my motorhome, and I'm not about to do that on a night like this.) They were about $90 each all told, and would have been a little less if I were a full member rather than making use of a one-day trial membership coupon. Both Sam's Club and Costco have golf cart batteries at around this price in many locations.

Duracell doesn't manufacture lead acid batteries, but just relabels ones made by one (or more) of the handful of actual manufacturers, the same as quite a few other brands. My batteries were made by East Penn (that part of the label is visible), whatever their brand may be. They seem to be working as advertised.

East Penn is in our area and I have friends that work there. They make their own brand Dekka. But they also make batteries for many other companies like the Sears Die Hard. They are the largest lead acid battery company in the world and are a family owned business.

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked the Duracell website. None of the deep cycle marine battery specify a Reserve Capacity (typically at 20A). Very odd.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
Earlier this year, we were going to replace the two 12volt house batteries with a pair of 6 volt Trojans. Our issue was that the 6 volts are too tall for our battery tray (under the steps of our Class C). I decided to go with a pair of Duracell group 31 ...

As long as they are a true "deep cycle" battery, not the dual purpose ones.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

They do seem to get corroded battery terminals purdy quickly. Though cleaning them once a year seems to do the trick.

1. Clean the posts and terminals with baking soda and water. Rinse well and dry
  2. Put a good gob of axle grease on top of the posts and spread it out at least 1/2" past the edge of the post.
    Replace terminals
  3. Put another gob of axle grease on top making sure to cover all of the metal.

CavemanCharlie wrote:
After the 2nd year I had to add water.

You really should check the fluid level at least every 6 months, more often if you are in a warm area of have a lot of charge/discharge cycles.

sonicsix
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pair of these and have used them for just over a year. They have worked great and I haven't had any issues at all. My charger is a Progressive Dynamics PD4045 and it works great as well. I do check the water levels in the batteries once a month and every so often I do need to add distilled water.

The batteries were much cheaper than others I looked at and these were available close by, so I got them. No regrets at all.

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, great feedback on the Duracells, and Battery +. Guess I'll be going that route. Thanks!
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Earlier this year, we were going to replace the two 12volt house batteries with a pair of 6 volt Trojans. Our issue was that the 6 volts are too tall for our battery tray (under the steps of our Class C). I decided to go with a pair of Duracell group 31's from Sams. Saw them on their website. Went to our local Sam's and they didn't have them. Said they have never seen them there. Called another Sam's club about 30 miles away, they told me the same thing. Went to Batteries + bulbs. They had them. Gave me the online discount at the store and even installed them for me. One of my terminal wires was broken (wasn't aware) and they replaced that as well. Am very happy with the two 12volt duracells so far.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought 4 Duracell 6 volt last week in Tallahassee at Sams . The price had come down some , $ 84 each . Eighteen dollar each core charge if ya did not have a core .

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using Duracell Golf cart batteries for about 3 years now. No problems so far.

They do seem to get corroded battery terminals purdy quickly. Though cleaning them once a year seems to do the trick. After the 2nd year I had to add water.

I don't know what camper you have but, I ordered a upgraded battery converter/charger from Best Converters. It does a much, much, better job of taking care of the battery's then what the old converter/chargers did years ago.

oilcan4
Explorer
Explorer
I put 4 DURA CELL 6 volts from Sams along with 2 31 series Dura Cells in our coach two years ago with no problems to date. keep terminals clean, electrolyte topped and equalize every six months and all is well.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
My golf cart batteries came from Sam's Club, and I think they're Duracell branded. (I can't tell for sure without pulling them out of the battery holder in my motorhome, and I'm not about to do that on a night like this.) They were about $90 each all told, and would have been a little less if I were a full member rather than making use of a one-day trial membership coupon. Both Sam's Club and Costco have golf cart batteries at around this price in many locations.

Duracell doesn't manufacture lead acid batteries, but just relabels ones made by one (or more) of the handful of actual manufacturers, the same as quite a few other brands. My batteries were made by East Penn (that part of the label is visible), whatever their brand may be. They seem to be working as advertised.

If you do get pairs of batteries at different times, be careful to keep the pairs together so that each series chain of two batteries has batteries of identical age.