cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Expectations for Towing with Toyota Highlander XLE AWD

bschmaus
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning to purchase my first travel trailer and am looking for some guidance from the community about realistic towing expectations for my XLE AWD Highlander (2018).

The XLE AWD Highlander has a trailer weight rating of 5000lbs and a cargo carrying capacity of 1300lbs. Using what I believe are conservative estimates with the following calculator (link below) I am thinking that a trailer with a GVWR of less than or equal to 4000lbs should be fine.

http://www.towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingPayloadEstimate/?ccc=1300&dw=170&pw=340&hw=50&tc=50&bd=200&ct=TT

There is one trailer in particular that I've been looking at, the Camplite 16bhb model (https://www.livinlite.com/products/camplite-travel-trailers/CL16BHB.html), that I'm not sure if I could tow. The dry weight is sub 3000lbs but the GVWR is 4400lbs. I don't expect to load the trailer to its GVWR so my main question is: is it reasonable for me to assume that I'd be able to comfortably tow the Camplite with the expectation that I would have it loaded at 4000lbs or less?
14 REPLIES 14

BrianFT
Explorer
Explorer

Our 2019 Highlander XLE is a SLUG! I've got the pedal to the metal on every hill pulling a T@B 320 CS-S or a Casita Independence. Our daughter said, "Why did you buy a Mom Car?"

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, it will do fine with 3500 pounds.

Beware wind drag eats more power than trailer wight. And round trailers like the R-Pod aren't always better, because they increase the gap between the tow rig and trailer, which affects drag more than the shape of the trailer. Of course, total frontal area matters the most.

The reason the Highland isn't great for towing is because it makes its torque (and therefore HP) at a pretty high RPM. You won't be able to tow even a modest trailer in 8th or 7th. If you head into a strong winds, you might even be cruising in 4th or 5th. The motor is so smooth that alone probably won't be offensive, but it will be noticeable and it will cause it suck fuel. With with a 17-foot RPod, your fuel economy will only be the same as full size trucks puling much bigger trailers.

The issues isn't isolated to your Highlander. It affects all small-displacement non-turbo V6s. Even the 1/2-ton pickups. They make good power, just need to spin to make it. The 8-speed auto will ensure you'll always have enough HP, but it's history for towing is unknown so far.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Excellent answer, we're getting 15 MPG when pulling with our Highlander.

Would you like to buy a bridge?

Ya know...I've had my eye on the Oakland-Yerba Buena span.

bschmaus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

Reviewing the specs for the 2018 xle awd, it has a heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, supplemental transmission oil cooler and 150-amp alternator (that's from https://www.toyota.com/highlander/features/mileage_estimates/6942/6950/6953).

I've been through the manual several times and it basically says stay within the weight ratings and be careful when towing. It recommends using a sway control device for trailers with a gross weight above 2000lbs.

According to the manual the v6 Highlanders meet the SAE J2807 standard for towing trailers up to 5000lbs. From what I've read the SAE J28807 tests assume a driver and passenger at 150lbs each along with 70lbs of hitch equipment.

Reading an article at Edmunds (https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/no-go-for-standardized-tow-ratings.html):
"Toyota was the first to begin certifying vehicles to the new standard beginning in the 2011 model year. It went all-in, too. Every model in the Toyota lineup has been rated according to J2807 since then."

I know the Highlander is designed primarily as a passenger vehicle and towing a 5000lb gvwr trailer seems unreasonable to me, but a 3500lb gvwr trailer seems doable as long as I watch tongue weight.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
My 2008 Highlander (with factory tow prep package) towed trailers for 140,000 of the 185K miles I put on its odometer. Cargo trailers in the 6x12 size with weight up to 3500 lbs, a 17' Burro, and a 16' KZ E14RB. It did very well, the 3.5L had plenty of power.

You probably will not load that TT much more than 3600-3800 lbs if you're halfway careful about it. You will be traveling with a family, I assume, which is more weight in your HL than mine (I traveled alone). Even so, I would not hesitate to use the trailer you're looking at, except for one important thing: the hitch weight of 370 lbs. I'll bet that is dry, without the LP tanks or battery in place. Real world, you may have a difficult time keeping that hitch weight under 500 lbs once you load up. Not impossible to do, but you'd want to get a Sherline scale and check it before you left on any trip to make sure you're not overdoing it. And if you wanted to use a weight distributing hitch, well, they're another 70-95 lbs, so it'd be over for sure.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
A friend had a 2014 Highlander and towed a Travelstar 19ck for years with it.

He towed from Ontario to Florida a couple of times and other southern destinations as well. He had no issues with it (family of 5).

The only draw back was the frequent gas stops...every 250km (150 miles).
2019 F150 Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled my 3500 lb. TT with my 2011 highlander with tow package just fine.
you won't need a F550 like some may claim. and you are smart knowing you don't have to load it up to GVWR.
bumpy

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
The Highlander is a CUV

First gen was based on the Camery

Second and later gen is based on the Sienna Mini Van

Just think of towing with a Camery if 1st Gen, and towing with a Sienna Mini Van if newer

Both monocoque/unibody, so WD Hitch system is normally no recommended (understand any OEM's 'recommendation' means no warranty if you do NOT follow their 'recommendation')

As Barney said, check your configuration and note that the MTWR is *NOT* an absolute. Meaning it depends on the configuration and loading of the TV. Again, check your glove box manual...as their should be an info page on towing listing the REDUCTION in MTWR with each passenger loaded into the TV
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my view, no matter what you get (other than a low profile basic pop up), you lack the motor to comfortably cruise except on flat terrain.

When it comes to towing, horsepower and displacement is still king.

No point in running 'the bags off' your Toyota. Get something sized for it. That way, you can take the stuff you want to along without fear of destroying your vehicle from overloading. Your excursions will be much more enjoyable.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bschmaus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Sounds like I should stick to a maximum trailer GVWR of 3500lbs (for example, r-pod, winnie drop, camplite 11fk).

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
The closer you get to towing at or over your max weight, the more unpleasant your tow experience will be.

Couple things you need to look at:

1. Check the Highlander's owners manual. There are some SUV's that have a restriction on square inch or square feet of frontal area for high walled trailers, and some have restrictions on use of a weight distributing hitch.

2. Max tow weight is reduced by weight of any aftermarket accessories, passengers and cargo. If you need to use a weight distributing hitch, it will add 80 to 100 lbs of cargo weight and trailer tongue weight is also cargo weight.

3. Check the hitch receiver, it has it's own weight ratings, with and without weight distribution.

4. That trailer could have as much as 660 lbs tongue weight.

5. This statement is from the specs on that trailer "This weight reflects the rolling average unit weight for each model. Your trailer weight will vary according to optional equipment." The trailer could gain weight (maybe an air conditioner) at the factory, and it will gain weight (at least propane and battery) before it gets off the dealer lot. You should plan on that trailer being closer to it's GVWR.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe that 5000lb tow rating is dependent on vehicle configuration. Better check that yours meets the specs for that higher rating.

While the Highlander may be able to "tow" the trailer you mentioned (nice trailer by the way!) I am not sure you will be satisfied with the results. The Highlander is a SUV and primarily a people carrier and not designed to be a tow vehicle. The frontal area of the trailer will get you more than the weight.

I would do a lot more research before I plunked down the amount of money they want for one of those. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine