cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Experience With AAA RV Premium Coverage

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just want to relate an experience I had last month with AAA regarding my "RV Premium" coverage.

While on a trip and about 900 miles from home, my 5th-wheel hitch broke and I was stranded on the side of the road. I called AAA and said I needed my 5th-wheel towed to an RV park so I could then see about fixing my hitch. I was told that my issue was not covered because (1) my tow vehicle was not disabled and (2) my trailer could only be towed to my home or to a repair facility.

Rather than argue with the guy on the phone, I had him arrange a tow truck at my expense. The tow truck arrived about 45 minutes later and towed my 5th-wheel 15 miles to a KOA for $146.00.

After I fixed the hitch and was back on the road, I submitted a Request for Reimbursement form to AAA. I made the case that although my truck was technically not disabled in terms of driving it, it was in fact disabled for the intended purpose since the hitch was "disabled".

I also said that regarding #2 above, it made no sense to tow my 5th-wheel 900 miles to my home nor to tow it to a repair facility since it did not need repair.

I am happy to say that two days later I got a call from a AAA supervisor. He apologized for my trouble and said that the claim should NOT have been denied, and he sent me a check for $146.00.

I'm sure there are other AAA stories that didn't turn out so good, but at least in this case, they did the right thing.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
11 REPLIES 11

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
With someone in a diesel pickup. Ran find going into town. Parked, came out, started, drove to a restaurant the other end of the parking lot and parked. Came out later - truck wouldn't start. They had AAA who sent someone with a portable jump start pack that wasn't even capable of starting the truck. Was supposed to be a battery guy. Said both batteries bad and he could bring 2 new ones next morning. Got truck towed back to campground and the guys figured out cables corroded even though they didn't look like it. Cleaned cable connections and all was good. The 2 batteries were only 2 years old which was one of the reasons the owner doubted the guy AAA sent. We think he knew it was only corrosion but wanted to sell a couple of batteries.

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
If AAA can't get to you, they usually reimburse you for your expenses if you submit a claim.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
If you read the forums (any RV forums) for any amount of time, you'll see that every ERS provider has plenty of frosted cake stories, and plenty of horror stories. The bottom line is that ALL of them are dependent on the local towing providers in the area that you find yourself in when you need the service. It's likely that if AAA couldn't find a local provider to service you, neither Coachnet nor any other ERS provider would have been any better.

In our case, after the AAA wouldn't help us, they suggested a local firm which we called, and who did a great job getting us back on the road. So, the local provider was available and glad to help us. Of course we paid the local provider ourselves.

So you need to find another excuse for AAA.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
If you read the forums (any RV forums) for any amount of time, you'll see that every ERS provider has plenty of frosted cake stories, and plenty of horror stories. The bottom line is that ALL of them are dependent on the local towing providers in the area that you find yourself in when you need the service. It's likely that if AAA couldn't find a local provider to service you, neither Coachnet nor any other ERS provider would have been any better.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have AAA premium. I used it multiple times for one of my cars that was old and failing. I used it once for the RV. I got a flat and called AAA. The nearest garage and town was 150 miles away. It took 2-3 hours but service came and changed the tire with no issue except for the travel time.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
We have AAA premium RV plan.
We have only used it once but the service was fast. The driver delivered to our storage yard and backed it into our spot.
Excellent service.
I think all road service plans are only as good as the local providers. Some areas are good others stink!

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
AAA here (Mass) told me they don't cover RVs period. I wnet with Coach-Net. Used it once. Very happy.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall I blew out a tire going south. After paying for AAA premium RV coverage all these years and never using them I figure let someone else get dirty. Took 3 hours before they showed up.

This spring blew another tire heading north. Figure I wasn't going to wait for AAA this time. Back on the road in 15 minutes. Two hours later blew another tire now without a spare. I was on toll road I44 west of Joplin 50 miles. Call AAA to send out a tire guy. They said they don't do that, but will send a tow. Called every 30 minutes asking about status. After 1.5 hours AAA called me and said they were cancelling the service call because they don't have anyone in the area.

Took the spare to the next exit (25 miles east) then drove back west to Discount tire (another 30 miles) to get a new tire. Sat on the side of I44 changing the tire as cars whizzed past at 70-80mph. Rehitched the truck to the 5'ver and took off.

THANK YOU AAA RV Premium!!!! and, 3 year old / 15K mile china bomb tires.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Maybe things have changed......but over the years posters have stated their "home state" AAA (RV) plans were not honored in other parts of the country.

AAA is great for *local* service for autos and pickups as single (only) vehicles.
(IMO) For a country-wide ERS - there are other, better options..;)

~

I've heard the same thing. AAA is not a single organization, it's a confederation of state automobile clubs.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe things have changed......but over the years posters have stated their "home state" AAA (RV) plans were not honored in other parts of the country.

AAA is great for *local* service for autos and pickups as single (only) vehicles.
(IMO) For a country-wide ERS - there are other, better options..;)

~

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
We got our RV stuck on a dirt road when the earth gave way.

We called AAA, and after several hours and multiple calls, they said that they were sorry but they couldn't help us.

We found a company who sent out a service truck to get us out of the ditch and get us back on the road.

We sent AAA the invoice for the service, and over the past few months we have they've told us three times that they were looking into it. We are still waiting.