cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fastening items to RV walls

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a suggestion about how to install upgrades to the inside of the exterior, or the interior walls of an RV? Any links would be appreciated.

I have a Rockwood Mini Lite, and it has very few structural members that would hold a screw well, even if I could find them, so I've been using Velcro.

The hook-and-pile part is very strong, but the glue that's on the backs seems to be vulnerable to heat. Even a lightweight roll of paper towels came unglued. I tried super glue and epoxy to hold even this light of an object, but it didn't last.

Just screwing in a wood screw or something would most likely not work very well. What's probably needed is some kind of expansion bolt. It would have to be very short so as to not compromise the outer hull, and have some way of expanding to affix to the back of the thin paneling that is on all of my walls, I would suppose.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ray and Carol, Boxers Duke and Duchess
2013 Forrest River Rockwood Mini-Lite 22' trailer, with the Murphy bed.
43 REPLIES 43

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Rmack1 wrote:
Tumbleweeds wrote:
Try These from Lowes
Hollow door anchors

Thank you, that looks like it will work.

I bought a pop-rivet gun at Lowe's, and it didn't work! It would pull back the nail, expand the end, but then it would get stuck. I had the tool fully compressed, but it never clipped off the little rod. I finally got it to let go of it, but the rod was still sticking out, with no visible marks that you would think would be there if the tool was trying to clip the excess off.

You didn't use the tool correctly. Instead of actually trying to mount something just use a pop rivet/gun all by itself. Keep pulling on the handle until the nail pops off. There is no cutter, you did not mushroom it enough that's all. You need to keep pumping on the handle.

Also sometimes you need to slide the tool further down the nail shaft as the pop rivet expands.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
Tumbleweeds wrote:
Try These from Lowes
Hollow door anchors

Thank you, that looks like it will work.

I bought a pop-rivet gun at Lowe's, and it didn't work! It would pull back the nail, expand the end, but then it would get stuck. I had the tool fully compressed, but it never clipped off the little rod. I finally got it to let go of it, but the rod was still sticking out, with no visible marks that you would think would be there if the tool was trying to clip the excess off.

The process of trying to extricate the tool expanded the hole in the three times I tried it in different locations. I got one to hold, with the nail still sticking out, but the next two just pulled away when I tried to remove the tool.

Tumbleweeds
Explorer
Explorer
Try These from Lowes
Hollow door anchors

crouseman41
Explorer
Explorer
Google hollow wall anchors, the kind you put in the wall that flatten
out behind the wall board comes in many sizes
Dale & paulette Crouse

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Rmack1 wrote:
...After reading everyone's responses, I'm off to Google 'pop-rivets'...

Pretty cheap and simple tool Amazon.

Just drill the hole in the 1/4 inch paneling the same size as the pop rivet. Place the item on the wall, insert rivet thru item and the hole in the wall, use tool to "pop" it. Which really means the small nail like item will pull back, this mushrooms the very end of the rivet making a very strong bond, once the bond is made the nail will break or "pop", you're done.

This will be the strongest and least damaging solution. I use command strips on just about everything that doesn't require a VERY strong connection. The good thing about pop rivets is also if they don't hold you have a hole to enlarge an use a molly bolt. I hate molly bolts since they create such an excessive hole and are overkill for 99% of the items that get hung in an RV.

The real trick is to understand that one size does not fit all. Command strips for the lighter stuff (pictures, clothes hooks). Pop Rivets for the heavy stuff or things that get yanked on (towel rakes, fire extinguishers). Molly bolts for the oddball stuff like a small TV mount. Even then I would look for a stud because if that molly bolt ever gave, you're going to have some serious damage left to repair.

Good luck

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Rmack1 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Your Mini Lite has aluminum wall studs...locate them then drill/screw into them for heavy items.
3M Command Strips for other items-------they 'stick' on----just have to properly clean area before attaching.

We have several pictures hanging in hallway of 5'vr and on walls in living area.
Large pictures with heavy frames. 6 1/2 Yrs of FT travel and they have never even budged

That, of course, is the optimum solution.

But, I'm trying to find a way to hang a light-weight paper towel rack in an area that probably doesn't even have any studs. Industrial strength Velcro worked OK for the first year, then after a summer in SoCal, Even the empty rack fell off.

Also, I have a lot of SWM satellite TV components for my 'Traveler' roof-mounted dish that I need to mount right below the TV on an interior wall. It probably doesn't even have aluminum studs. Maybe wooden ones, not sure.

After reading everyone's responses, I'm off to Google 'pop-rivets'.

Thanks, everyone.
For the towel rack, Command strips. For sensitive electronics on a shelf, follow Roy B's advice. You most certainly do have studs in the wall of your trailer, find them and anything can be secured..
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Your Mini Lite has aluminum wall studs...locate them then drill/screw into them for heavy items.
3M Command Strips for other items-------they 'stick' on----just have to properly clean area before attaching.

We have several pictures hanging in hallway of 5'vr and on walls in living area.
Large pictures with heavy frames. 6 1/2 Yrs of FT travel and they have never even budged

That, of course, is the optimum solution.

But, I'm trying to find a way to hang a light-weight paper towel rack in an area that probably doesn't even have any studs. Industrial strength Velcro worked OK for the first year, then after a summer in SoCal, Even the empty rack fell off.

Also, I have a lot of SWM satellite TV components for my 'Traveler' roof-mounted dish that I need to mount right below the TV on an interior wall. It probably doesn't even have aluminum studs. Maybe wooden ones, not sure.

After reading everyone's responses, I'm off to Google 'pop-rivets'.

Thanks, everyone.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Don't count of velcro. I found the glue part that sticks to the wall is no guarantee. Every time I have tried it they came right off the wall.
Find the "Industrial Strength Velcro", indoor and outdoor stuff. And clean the wall you are attaching to with alcohol. My Cobra 29LTD has been attached to the outer wall besides driver seat with 2 strips of industrial strength Velcro for 2 years now. Has been there in temperatures of -0 to +90 degrees f. That radio weights 4 pounds and has not moved.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is probably alot of small weight technigues using stick-on command type hooks, velcro, and just plain screwing into the thin walls directly. For me the only "SURE WAY" for the heavier items was to put up a 3/4-1 Inch back board first anchored in its four corners with MOLY TYPE bolts. These back boards can be painted to match your interior decor.

Then you can mount almost anything you want to the back board using regular wood screws and not ever worry about the screws being pulled out. The back board spreads out all of the weight across the thin wall.

These photos from GOOGLE SEARCH...

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above cleaning the surface is important. I use a spray cleaner and follow up with water then isopropyl alcohol. After installing the 3M Command strip I wait about 24 hours before adding the weight.
We have oil paintings (18 by 24 inches or so) with fairly heavy frames that have been up for ten years and 55,000 miles.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Handyman_Xenabl
Explorer
Explorer
We use a lot of 3M (Command) products and even have a caddy on the shower wall, which is quite heavy when full of products.

No damage to the walls, nothing's fallen off yet - proper preparation of the surface is important.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
I leave them up....Also put tiny pieces of Velcro in strategic spots to keep things from shifting (pics, etc)
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

taigarazz
Explorer
Explorer
fo folks using command strips - Do you take pictures, artwork down before traveling, or do you leave it up?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Pop rivets, only way to go for certain items (i.e. spare fire extinguisher, toilet paper holder, spare towel holder, etc...)

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach requires pop rivets for anything added to the walls. I have used the heavy duty 3m strips with good success so far. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide