cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiat 500

granny_6
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever towed a Fiat 500, 4 wheels down?? How is this compared to a Honda, CRV??

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
No problem with wagging - using standard Blue Ox tow bar. Can't give you dimensions - not hooked up. Another person traveling with us has the same car and also towing it with no problems. Great little vehicle - lots of fun to drive.
Both of us have Abarths but his is a convertible and ours the sun roof.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't get this question answered on another thread. Is the short wheelbase prone to waggling while in tow? Is having a longish tow bar the cure for that problem?

What is the length from your hitch to the toad front axle and the wheelbase of the toad?

I almost bought a Fiat Abarth Zagato once, the one called the 'double bubble'. Pity. Would have been a fun project.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
sch911 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I drove one for a week while on vacation. Hideous little thing. As you drive it you find out there are things missing, like a button to unlock the doors - have to use key fob. No biggy but strange - it confused valets too. There were a number of shortcuts they made that you would only notice after you bought it.

No! The power lock switch is incorporated into the door handle. Push to lock, pull to unlock....

You mean the handle on the inside? How is a person ever supposed to find that LOL.

If you own one and read the owners manual, you learn things.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
sch911 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I drove one for a week while on vacation. Hideous little thing. As you drive it you find out there are things missing, like a button to unlock the doors - have to use key fob. No biggy but strange - it confused valets too. There were a number of shortcuts they made that you would only notice after you bought it.

No! The power lock switch is incorporated into the door handle. Push to lock, pull to unlock....

You mean the handle on the inside? How is a person ever supposed to find that LOL.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Fiat 500 Abarth and are towing it 4 wheels down. As said above, put it in neutral and away you go! Of course it is standard shift. We are towing it with a Blue Ox tow system and Invisibrake.

It is working out well for us. There is plenty of room in the front and the seats are very comfortable. DH is in his second childhood with the Abarth equipment - lots of pep, noise, fast and fun. People tell us it is "so cute".
Gas mileage is v.g. and shifting easy. I am not sure how the regular components compare to the Abarth though.

The only thing we have to be careful of is the ground clearance. With the sporty cowling it does not leave more than about 4.5 inches of ground clearance so we have to be cautious of where we pull over.

For a recommendation, look up Jay Leno's website. He has one in his collection and talks about how much fun it is to drive.

Any further questions, just ask.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Consider the 500L with 4 doors and a real back seat!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't towed one, but did research the option. With the manual transmission, the Fiat 500 has no miles or speed restrictions. Put it in neutral, and tow it forever at whatever speed you want. That is nice. It is lightweight, so towing is easier than many other vehicles. It is a fun car to drive, but it also small.