cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding Studs

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
First off, Anybody know if the studs in the roof of my 2003 Itasca Sunova are wood or are they metal? If they're metal, do you think this metal dectector would pinpoint them? Detector
20 REPLIES 20

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
The structure Winnebago was using then was a sandwich, solid block of foam glued to interior and exterior skins. There might be three to five aluminum cross pieces in channels on the underside of the foam block, particularly near areas with openings. You should not be able to detect rafters from the top side.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I have a problem, because they usually start beeping when I get near them?

Finally!!
Some humor on this forum. You just made my day.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
Here is a view of my RV roof when the snow is melting. The location of the supports is clearly shown. Yours may or may not be similar.

Now I wish it would snow.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Snow and fog (Dew) are both good indicators

Regarding Metal Detectors.. Instead of spending money (Till you find out if it works) did you knwo.. There is an APP for that????

Yes. many Smart phones do much more than talk, text, camera and internet.
They have a host of "Sensors" including

GPS (Where are you)
Magnetic (Compass)
Pressure (Barometer)
And one that detects the presence of metal

I have a "Metal Detector" app on my phone.. Free.

I have not had great success using it, but I have had some success.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a view of my RV roof when the snow is melting. The location of the supports is clearly shown. Yours may or may not be similar.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Another check is to do a test nail in the ceiling inside a cupboard.
I can feel the supports from the roof on a large part of the roof that doesnโ€™t have heavy plywood sheeting.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've heard Times Square in New York City is a good place to look. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Anybody know if the studs in the roof of my 2003 Itasca Sunova are wood or are they metal?

No roof has "studs" but rather rafters. Whether wood or metal just use a quality multi scanner such as this Zircon i520 which is capable of detecting both wood & metal, along with wiring detection.

Meh.

I have several different models (not this one but they all work the same) of Zircon scanners..

Neither works well with the extremely thin RV walls, they are designed primarily for standard stick and brick 2x4 walls.

RV walls are at best 1" thick so stud detectors tend to get a lot of false readings. The detectors see the back side of the wall confusing the detector.

While it is possible to use one, they don't work as well with shallow RV walls so be prepared to drill a few exploratory holes..
X-2, the one I used, (don't remember brand), didn't work worth beans, I started at a screw that mounted a shelf, so I'm sure there was a stud there, but as I slid it across the wall, it indicated a stud every 4-6 inches, I'm pretty sure, that's not correct,I gave up, I'll get back to it one of these days.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do a google search, you can find a brochure for your unit that will download and you can read all about the features and construction of your motorhome. According to what I saw, I sounds like they are aluminum except the very front one which is steel as is the rest of the front cab area.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Not all ceiling rafters are on 16" or any other regular centers. My Class C has rafters only where there are things on the roof to support, such as vents, AC, etc.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Remove a ceiling vent or some other access and find a rafter. Usually they are on 16โ€ centers so if you find one you found them all. Often ceilings panels are 48โ€ wide and the edges are on the rafter center. On my trailer I was able to attach my ceiling panels better and didnโ€™t miss a single rafter (actually they are trusses).

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I'd use almost any STUD-finder, most use density of material rather than finding actual wood or metal to locate the framing.

I have a problem, because they usually start beeping when I get near them?

I'll leave now.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Anybody know if the studs in the roof of my 2003 Itasca Sunova are wood or are they metal?

No roof has "studs" but rather rafters. Whether wood or metal just use a quality multi scanner such as this Zircon i520 which is capable of detecting both wood & metal, along with wiring detection.

Meh.

I have several different models (not this one but they all work the same) of Zircon scanners..

Neither works well with the extremely thin RV walls, they are designed primarily for standard stick and brick 2x4 walls.

RV walls are at best 1" thick so stud detectors tend to get a lot of false readings. The detectors see the back side of the wall confusing the detector.

While it is possible to use one, they don't work as well with shallow RV walls so be prepared to drill a few exploratory holes..

The Zircon type electronic stud finders use ultrasonic waves to detect density change. It did take me a little while along with some patients, pressing against the paneling, looking at where the paneling was flexing and a little though that the reason I could find some studs and not others where the folding tv shelf was located was because the area where the shelf was mounted had a piece of plywood under the paneling as reinforcement for the Shelf. Once I figured that out it was easy to find the perimeter of the plywood and the location of the studs. What I was wanting to do was lower the Shelf about 2-1/2 inches to make sure that I was still mounting to a solid structure. This allowed me to put an articulating mount for the TV on the wall and lower the Shelf for the DVD player and satellite receiver. Once I swung the TV out of the way and without having to move the DVD player and satellite receiver out of the way I could still swing the nearby cabinet door open.

After that job it was really easy to find the wall studs and the plywood backer for the TV shelf in the bedroom.

I was able to determine some of the studs were 1 x 2 & 1 x 3.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Zircon i65, works well in the RV either wood or metal framing. 100% success drilling holes in the roof of the last RV; getting ready to do it again on the new one.

You can partially disassemble a roof vent usually and get a look at the framing.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...