first commercially available all electric RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

https://camperreport.com/fully-electric-rv/

About $79,000 usd.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
36 REPLIES 36

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
austinjenna wrote:
Its a gimmicky trailer that only a few tree huggers will buy at that price and feel good about how they are not leaving a footprint by having a green trailer.

If I am going to spend 80K on a rig it certainly is not going to be that one.

While the focus is on energy I hardly doubt it's green. Manufacturing techniques, caustic materials, glues, VOC's. etc.

And it is a bit of a head scratcher. Why would you opt for inefficient appliances when decades ago stoves and refers were developed for RV's for the sole purpose of being efficient. All electric RV's exist today. All you need is more solar and more batteries to arrive at this point. Sorry, I don't get the concept.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Its a gimmicky trailer that only a few tree huggers will buy at that price and feel good about how they are not leaving a footprint by having a green trailer.

If I am going to spend 80K on a rig it certainly is not going to be that one.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Seems it would be better to have propane for cooking, hot water, and outdoor grill than electric. Just my thought anyway. I do wonder how long they can withstand rainy or cloudy days. Having propane would allow you to stretch the electric power farther. And personally I prefer parking in the shade, and solar pretty much won't allow you to do that. Parking in full sun in the midwest in the middle of summer would put the AC to the test. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you don't use the air/con or heat, probably indefinitely.

If you need air/con or heat, well, not so great.

What if you need to prepare meals?

The stove is an induction cooktop. That's an energy pig.

What if you need to keep your food from spoiling?

Compressor-driven refrigerators aren't exactly power-misers.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
How long would you (2 adults based on floor plans) be able to be off grid/boondocking with a cassette toilet and 60gal of fresh water?

Information on the AC unit can be found at the link below.
Link to ac website
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
Seems it would be better to have propane for cooking, hot water, and outdoor grill than electric. Just my thought anyway. I do wonder how long they can withstand rainy or cloudy days. Having propane would allow you to stretch the electric power farther. And personally I prefer parking in the shade, and solar pretty much won't allow you to do that. Parking in full sun in the midwest in the middle of summer would put the AC to the test. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you don't use the air/con or heat, probably indefinitely.

If you need air/con or heat, well, not so great.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't watch the video, but I am also wondering why they don't use propane? Arguably, my TT right now is "electric", but with propane appliances. Which seems to work very well and obviously saves the battery power.

It would be nice to have a massive battery like that for extended weekends without hookup.

Hey, and I can use my Honda EU to recharge it!

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
How much to import to the US from Austrialia over and above the $79K?

I can see such rigs in the future being pumped out by Thor and Forest River, crammed chock full of high quality WFCO, Lippert, and Furrion electrical components ROFLMAO.
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Skibane wrote:
So you get to sleep right on top of an air conditioner that's cycling on and off all night?
Compared to the roof shaker over the bed? How bad can it be?

6 inches away, versus 6 feet?

The inverse square law is a thing...

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skibane wrote:
So you get to sleep right on top of an air conditioner that's cycling on and off all night?
Compared to the roof shaker over the bed? How bad can it be?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
First?

No mention of Nimbl or Aeon, or any of the others? Even my 2013 Tiger was all electric.
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Mentioned an under the bed AC unit

and detailed about the insulation that helps keeps things cooler (or warmer).

If you have to park the RV in full sunlight to get significant power out of the panels, you're going to need all the insulation you can get.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Mock turtle, thatโ€™s what Airstream is working onโ€ฆa trailer that powers itself with an electric truck TV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Y-Guy
Moved from Tech Issues to General RVing Issues.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Skibane wrote:
Perhaps I missed it, but didn't see any mention of how they heat or cool it.

14.3 KWH of battery energy is just slightly under 50K BTU - Enough to run a 12K BTU air conditioner for around 4 hours a day (assuming perfect efficiency, 100% battery discharge, and no other electrical loads being used).

I assume they would use some sort of heat pump for heating, since resistance electric heat is very energy-inefficient.

Typically, you get less sunlight in cold climates and during cold seasons - so there would often be less solar panel output available for heating. On rainy or completely overcast days, you either make do with whatever's still in the battery, or do without.

Mentioned an under the bed AC unit and detailed about the insulation that helps keeps things cooler (or warmer).
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS