cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First "real" Tow Dolly haul.

cmalberto
Explorer
Explorer
Made my first haul today...140+ miles. Surprisingly impressed. Hated the first 5 minutes...loved the remaining 3 hrs. Seemed to pull real heavy at first. My v10 shifting isn't the greatest - holds gears way too long. Ended up babying it and solved that issue. Stopped 5 minutes in to check straps. Tight as can be. Stopped again at the 40 mile mark...took a couple of clicks on each side. After that no more needed.

Towed my 2012 Acura TSX. The motorhome seemed to ride better pulling than my other trips down the 2 lane highways. I could run as fast as I wanted but stayed under 65 pretty much the whole trip.

Driving back home tomorrow. Gonna take the interstate back. I just prefer it over the two lane roads.

Thought I would share for those that may be interested.
Mickey Alberto
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 320BH
9 REPLIES 9

cmalberto
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the 80" Master Tow with Surge Brakes - bought locally at about 1600. I since ordered the ramp extenders. Ended up using 2x6s(soon will be 2x8/10s) instead. Lighter.

I don't own a vehicle that I could tow 4 down so my choice was easy. If/when I replace one of my vehicles, I will at least explore all of the towable options.
Mickey Alberto

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of tow dolly did you get? I am considering one myself. It's either go with one or go with a tow bar and base plate. Then there is dealing with installs of a base plate, brakes and wiring. I know that the 4 down will be easier in the long run, but I think the tow dolly will be less expensive for us. If we full timed, then obviously we would go the easier route. But for a couple weeks a year and then some weekends every now and then (that arent too far away), its harder to go the other way. Still deciding though.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Foggy
Explorer
Explorer
You will learn to look over an establishment real well to be sure you will not have to back up. I have passed up many lower prices for gas and many attractive restaurants because they did not have enough room to pull thru.
Happy-Trails
Foggy

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
The V-10 is a small block and will like to rev.

cmalberto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. Yes. I did use the tow haul except the first 5 minutes:). It does help a lot. Especially the down shifting. Problem with the higher rpms is the noise. Granddaughter thought it was about to blow up. :).

No backing up is in my plans. I have the surge brakes and I suspect that won't end well if they were to engage while moving backwards.

Bought to head back home. Breaking out my ear buds and will let'er rip.
Mickey Alberto

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with the Ford Triton V-10 engine, but do not have the Tow/Haul mode selector. I tow my Corolla on a dolly and I don't even know that it is behind me, with the exception of the higher passes in Colorado. Without the camera to see it I wouldn't know it was there. I have towed it cross country with only one problem. That was a blowout on the dolly with new tires. I did not know that the tire had blown until I saw smoke in the mirror. Backing it up, like earlier post said disconnect the car or the wheels on the dolly will start to turn.
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
RCWannabe wrote:
I understand that backing up with the tow dolly is a bit challenging, may want to either avoid it or try it somewhere you have extra space.

It's more than challenging. The front wheels will turn sideways due to the camber and lock up. People have tried to hold the steering but it requires a great deal of strength. You might be able to do it for a few feet, 3-4'.

The only way to backup is to disconnect the toad.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

RCWannabe
Explorer
Explorer
The V10 Triton does shift high, they are meant to rev up higher than you may expect. I used my parents 35' A class with the V10 and I was babying it, untill my Dad (Mechanic with over 50yrs experience) said not to with that engine and transmission setup. So it shifts around 3000 - 3500 rpm depending on the grade of the hill. Seemed really high to me, but actually ran better and ended up with better fuel economy. I would suggest you do a little research on your particular engine transmission combo and see what it was designed to shift at.

I understand that backing up with the tow dolly is a bit challenging, may want to either avoid it or try it somewhere you have extra space.

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you are running a Ford V10 power train.

In regards to the shift points -- did you use the tow/haul mode on your tranmission?

When we towed a dolly I found a major difference in overall performance if I switched to tow/haul when towing (go figure!)
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy