cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat towing Ford Focus

8handicap
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased an Allegro 32SA coach and a 2014 Focus as a toad. The manual states the battery must be disconnected to tow. I plan to install a cutoff switch. Does this mean the clock and other electronics (Bluetooth, etc) will have to be re-set after each tow ?Could that circuit be direct wired to battery?
What about lights? Can the auto battery be charged by the coach?

20 REPLIES 20

8handicap
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I just heard from Ford that the clutches are electric and they could inadvertently engage if they have power. I can live with clock but the radio with Blue tooth, etc would be a pain.

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't disconnect the battery, you will will ruin the transmission.Have to reset clock but not radio.Not saying to do it, but I disconnect the positive terminal and use a short wrench. Put wrench and cable in a glove and tuck in in.The Focus make a great toad but follow the instructions in manual.If the spacer in front of battery is removed the battery can be moved forward. this makes it easier to access the neg terminal.

8handicap
Explorer
Explorer
I have contacted Ford to determine the purpose of the disconnect. If just to protect the charge I will run a line from the coach. Will let you know.

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
Do they state what is the reason for disconnecting the battery? If its just so the battery won't run down, you can install a charge wire from the MH to the battery. That's what I do with my Ford C-Max.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you remove the ground cable, you cant charge the battery...you have to have a ground.

I would "assume" that removing the neg cable, would indeed cause what you ask. But maybe those items have built in batter back up. Don't know.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine