cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat Towing

johnbo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I would like to flat tow an automatic small convertible...I need one as light weight as possible. Is anyone towing an automatic small convertible ?? Thank You
18 REPLIES 18

sassydad
Explorer
Explorer
We bought ours with running around the vicinity of the campground we are in. Mileage isn't a concern. Now taking it out into the desert in Lake Havasu might be an option. Check out u-tube for Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick.

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
A quick look on craigslist produced a few. I'll keep them in mind! The better one's are about an hour away. I'm surprised the gas mileage isn't better.
Glenn in TN
2008 Ford F150 King Ranch
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32
2017 Mini Cooper (future toad)

sassydad
Explorer
Explorer
Find an old Geo Tracker at 2400 lbs with auto transmission and 4X4. Has sun roof that easily folds back.

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
I can solve your problem. Move to Tennessee! Our next door neighbor is selling her house (3 bedroom on 1.3 acres) for about $140k. I used to have an F350, 30' 5er, and a 16' bassboat going down the interstate. Looked like I was moving.
Glenn in TN
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Fifty4F100 wrote:
Just my $.02 - we tow a 2005 PT Cruiser convertible, but it has a manual. It is a lot for me (56 y/o) to get out of and I'm tiring of driving a manual every day. It gets great MPG's if I'm driving it. But its really a crappy car. I wish I would have ponied up for a Civic automatic with a sunroof.

I have been very happy with my PT Cruiser Turbo convertible.

As for the Smarts towing kayaks on a trailer, when towing the Smart behind a motorhome that would be a double tow, illegal in most of the Eastern states.

a
Agreed. Only viable if when not being used as a Toad.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Fifty4F100 wrote:
Just my $.02 - we tow a 2005 PT Cruiser convertible, but it has a manual. It is a lot for me (56 y/o) to get out of and I'm tiring of driving a manual every day. It gets great MPG's if I'm driving it. But its really a crappy car. I wish I would have ponied up for a Civic automatic with a sunroof.

I have been very happy with my PT Cruiser Turbo convertible.

As for the Smarts towing kayaks on a trailer, when towing the Smart behind a motorhome that would be a double tow, illegal in most of the Eastern states.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Here is how we solved our Kayak problem. The timeout trailer also doubles as our accomodation on overnighters.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Well kinda sort of. These are automated manuals meaning you don't have a clutch pedal and the computer does all the shifting but technically they are standards. 1850 pounds and way fun.

fixed it
Fifty4F100 wrote:
I almost bought a Smart. I still might. But now my wife wants to buy kayaks and I don't know how a For2 could haul them!

See this link:

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
I almost bought a Smart. I still might. But now my wife wants to buy kayaks and I don't know how a For2 could haul them!
Glenn in TN
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Well kinda sort of. These are automated manuals meaning you don't have a clutch pedal and the computer does all the shifting but technically they are standards. 1850 pounds and way fun.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
we just returned from a 4000 mile trip with a Hyundai Elantra in tow. It is fwd, std trans and there is no evidence of tire scrub or anything. We saw many fwd cars in tow, saw nothing out of the ordinary with them either! Trailers and tow dollys ok if you just have to have an automatic trans if you want to tow, but only add another weight and item to have something go wrong with. Friend of ours was towing with a dolly and had a strap come loose, beat the hell out of the front fender. Additionally he scraped the other side trying to get it on the dolly! So there are pos/cons for everything. But the blanket statement made about why not to tow fwd I find is just plain not true. can you post a credible link to back up the statement?

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
the tow at under 35 mph is with the engine off.. with the engine running you can go 55-60 mph.
the reason for not towing four down with front wheel drives. is that the steering is slower to react than a rear drive vehicle. which will cause more tire scrub...
the best method is to tow, is by using a trailer. saves lots of wear and tear on drive line and steering components and you won't need to buy a brake buddy...
the next best method is using a tow dolly, great for front wheel drive vehicles. nothing more to buy.. unless you are towing a large vehicle. then you will need brakes on the dolly or something like a brake buddy in the vehicle. also using a tow dolly the rear shocks will wear out prematurely.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
Glenn in TN
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Remco makes a lube pump kit for many automatic transmission vehicles.
Some of them are convertibles.
My PT Cruiser Turbo convertible can be towed four down using a lube pump. In fact, there is an old one installed in the car. I have never used it, and don't plan to. I don't even know if it is any good! My Demco dolly works just fine for taking the PT with us, I see no need to spend the money for a towbar and brackets for the car.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"