cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

flipped axles

5goldenacres
Explorer
Explorer
Could someone please explain the pros and cons of having your axel/axles flipped. I assume that one of the pros is maybe to accommodate larger size tires. Just wondering what some of the forum experts have to say. Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't screw up the trailer put a lowering kit on the truck.
HR

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
adayjk wrote:
Assuming all the usual proper use limitations (don't overload, proper pressure, replace by time, not miles, ect) there is nothing wrong with modern popup trailer tires. There are 100 compromises when picking a popup over a TT or MH, and I've experienced them. More or less worry about tires isn't one of them.

Sure wish you could recommend a tire to buy. I just worked on my snowmobile trailer brakes and found a large goose egg in the center of the tire. The popup size tires on this trailer have been trouble almost every trip.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lower to the ground is better for anything going down the road as it reduces drag and lowers the center of gravity. You could find your mpg a bit worse too. I wouldn't raise it "just because".

We are probably as high off the ground as they make TTs. We have underslung axles and spring hangers that are 6" tall (not the 4" ones). Tows just fine. We have a 4x4 though, so it's higher height off the ground works well with the taller TT.

One big reason some trailers are made with underslung axles and taller spring hangers is so that the wheel wells don't intrude into the floor space and interfere with things, esp. slideouts.

If you make your trailer higher off the ground, your steps will need replacing with ones with another step. You *could* even find the extra step to be somewhat annoying.

If you have money to spend and want to improve handling, install shock absorbers. We did earlier this year and just had over a 300 mile run last week on some pretty winding, rough and up/down, bouncy roads. I simply can't describe how much of an improvement it's made.

adayjk
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming all the usual proper use limitations (don't overload, proper pressure, replace by time, not miles, ect) there is nothing wrong with modern popup trailer tires. There are 100 compromises when picking a popup over a TT or MH, and I've experienced them. More or less worry about tires isn't one of them.

5goldenacres
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a trailer yet but was thinking about a hybrid or a high wall pop-up. I guess I am trying to get away from the small tires that are generally installed on pop-ups.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Raising the CG of any vehicle is not going towards better stability, but understand
in order to make it work...

Just be cognizant of fact that higher CG's reduce handling in all aspects, except
for ground clearance

Another point few understand is that air turbulence underneath increases drag,
therefore more HP needed to go the same speed...therefore more fuel...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a couple of TT with normal axle setup and I have had a TT and now a 5th wheel with flipped axles. I find the height of the flipped axle trailers make them less subject to movement due to wind or semis flying by.

I could see where going too high would cause possible tipping issues due to the center of gravity being moved higher.

I've had my 5th wheel on desert roads, mountain dirt roads and very tight curvy roads with no tipping issues. It's very stable.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of rig are you contemplating doing this on?
What problems are you trying to correct?
There are many reasons for lifting.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
pro: raises the rig so it fits on the pickup better (level)....our 5th wheel has its axles flipped.
con: steps are now higher, resulting in an extra step in some cases.

One thing the rv repairman told us is that people will come in asking for their rv to have axles flipped AND an extra block under the points to make it even higher..........he said it's DANGEROUS.... I'm sure there'll be others that come on saying it's not a problem, but we won't take a chance.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend