cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Explorer for towing

Chaos
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new travel trailer. Manufacturer spec is 4,000 lbs dry weight. Now we need a tow vehicle. We are considering a 2006-2010 Ford Explorer with V8 engine and class IV WDH. Does that sound adequate, with some left over? I know that GVWR, GAWR and GCWR all come into play but I haven't gotten that all figured out just yet. I also want to be sure we aren't maxing out the system and unnecessarily putting excess strain on the TV.
30 REPLIES 30

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Chaos wrote:
bikendan wrote:
APT wrote:
Chaos wrote:

I've calculated needed TV specs as follows:
Payload 1980
Trailer wt rating 7600
Tongue weight 1140

The only SUVs that can handle those specs are V10 Excursion and -06 Suburbans.

those aren't the specs of the trailer the OP is talking about, if it's the 26RS.

Those are calculated needed specs based on the 26RS and a 20% margin.

trying to understand where the 1140lbs. tongue weight comes from, if the "dry" tongue weight is only 332lbs.
course, i question the accuracy of that number. it's awful low for a 27' TT, even with the rear bed slide.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Chaos
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
APT wrote:
Chaos wrote:

Payload 1980
Trailer wt rating 7600
Tongue weight 1140

those aren't the specs of the trailer the OP is talking about, if it's the 26RS.

Those are calculated needed specs based on the 26RS and a 20% margin.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Chaos wrote:

Payload 1980
Trailer wt rating 7600
Tongue weight 1140

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Chaos
Explorer
Explorer
Tongue weight is supposed to be 10-15% of loaded trailer weight. Using a WDH doesn't change that, does it? I used 15% to be conservative, and the trailer GVWR of 6332. Two adults and three children add to the payload. Then tack 20% on for safety and so we are not constantly running the TV at max specs.

Am I way off in my thinking? I am doing as much research as I can but I am new to this. I certainly don't want to make a mistake in either direction to the tune of thousands of dollars.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Chaos wrote:

Payload 1980
Trailer wt rating 7600
Tongue weight 1140

But I don't see how you arrived at those specs with a 4300 pound dry TT. With a properly adjusted WDH, you'll have about 500 pounds of TW on the truck's axles. That leaves at least 700 pounds for people and stuff in the SUV. After 2 seasons RVing with a loaded pickup bed and one with an SUV, the SUV doesn't carry much. Nearly everything that fits inside I put in the TT.

I recommend any half ton you like best, with its respective most powerful engine/gear combo. Even a loaded up one will have at least 1200 pounds of payload. Something with 6 transmission gears is vastly superior to older generation 4-spd. GM 2009+. Ford/Toyota 2007+.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Chaos wrote:
2006 Forest River Shamrock 26RS

specs:

27'2" long
4282lbs. brochure "dry" weight
6332lbs. GVWR
332lbs. brochure "dry" tongue weight

Chaos
Explorer
Explorer
The numbers on the Durango make no sense anyway. GCWR 11000 lbs, max trailer weight rating 8950, curb weight 4758, leaving a payload capacity of -2708. Yes, negative. Why say trailer weight of 8950 when the maximum possible would be just over 6000?

Okay, I know why, it's just frustrating.

Payload 1980
Trailer wt rating 7600
Tongue weight 1140

Those numbers are based on the max ratings of the trailer, plus 20% margin.

Is there any way to guesstimate what the added load on the rear axle would be? So as to compare with the rear gross axle weight rating.

eric_james
Explorer
Explorer
I would skip the midsize SUV and go with an Expedition or Tahoe/Yukon for a 26' trailer and that weight.

My previous trailer was a 4200# TrailCruiser 26BH. Really was a nice towing experience with my Expedition. The newer ones would be even better.

Chaos
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Dodge Durango?

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer
we tow a 1500lB popup with our v6 Explorer, it tows it just fine. Big difference in the v6 and v8, the 1500 vice 4000 lBs, and the 14'vice 26', but suspect it would tow it OK, not great but OK. I would only go short distances, I would imagine that it would not be a easy tow, but doable.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
Chaos wrote:
---I know that GVWR, GAWR and GCWR all come into play but I haven't gotten that all figured out just yet. I also want to be sure we aren't maxing out the system and unnecessarily putting excess strain on the TV.
Your towing capacity most likely will be limited by the trailer's tongue weight and the tow vehicle's available payload capacity which is equal to the TV's GVWR minus its unhitched weight when loaded for camping.

To make an estimate of the loaded tongue weight, we need to know the TT's unloaded vehicle weight which should be printed on the loading information sticker.
We also need to know how much weight of cargo you plan to carry in the TT when loaded for camping.

To make an estimate of available payload, we need your best estimate of the total weight of occupants and cargo which will be carried in the TV when loaded for camping.

Ron

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Approx 26' feet long? Way too long for the Explorer's wheelbase, IMO. Had a 2002 Explorer with which we pulled a 23' HTT and even with good sway control, it was the tail wagging the dog. I'd recommend an excellent brake controller, BTW - you'd have enough engine for this tow, most likely, but Explorer brakes always left me a little concerned. Good luck with your decision.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Chaos
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Forest River Shamrock 26RS

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Chaos wrote:
Okay, reading more, it seems like it should be okay but

not great due to the short wheel base[/b\]

and narrowness of the vehicle. Back to the drawing board I guess.

If you are at the stage where you can CHOOSE what tow vehicle do yourself a favor and stay away from short wheel based SUV's.

I tried it. It sucked and it was a real pain towing the TT with one.
Kinda takes all the fun out of RV'ing!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
well, it would help knowing what trailers you're looking at.
simply quoting a fictional "dry" weight isn't enough info, since no trailer weighs the brochure "dry" weight.

length, tongue weight, CCC weight, GVWR along with the "dry" weight.
even better would be the actual yellow sticker weight. that would be the weight when it left the factory.

as far as the older v-8 Explorer, they were fine paired with the right length/weight trailer. as long as a good WDH with built-in sway control was used, such as the Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual-Cam.