cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forgot the Anode

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was planning on checking the Anode and flushing the WH tank every year. Well it's been 2 years!

It was brand new fall of 2011. Still looked like new a year later with very little crud.

Well it looked like a cottage cheese factory when I pulled it out! I made a "cheesy" little flushing device.

I scraped off the crud and I think it looks good to go for another year.

Just added it to my calendar for next year so I won't forget.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD
22 REPLIES 22

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I have the exact same thing year after year. Take the anode out, scrap off the crud, flush the white hard stuff out, put it all back together. Works for me.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Still looks in good shape
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If you missed checking the anode rod for a year, I have to assume that you are in a place with warm winters. The rest of us have to pull those rods every fall to empty the water heater for winter.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Got my FW new, mid August 2012. My anode looked good end of October, when I flushed the heater, and stored the FW. I made it through 13 with it, but put new in this year in May. This one will finish the season, but I think I'll need new again in may.

Mine are magnesium. Manufacturer recommends using aluminum, only if the mag does not last 6 months to a year.

I flush mine several times a season, using the long thin wand I purchased. I get lots of crud out, and the water sure is gray murky looking. I usually have city water in it.

Jerry

F105
Explorer
Explorer
Considering how relativity inexpensive they are and considering the job they do,I just replace my anode rod at the end of each seasons use when I do my water heater preventative maintenance.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Because of wintering in Az we get a lot of white junk in our water heater. I have a yellow wand with an angle on the end and also made one out of copper tubing. I turn the direction of the water up and around and then down and this draws out the whit junk. Some times I think it won't stop coming out. White is the only color I have seen come out of ours. Do not use more than one wrap of Teflon tape. This is to any beginner rv'rs.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
newman fulltimer wrote:
you do know to flush it just hook your water up and turn it on with the plug out

There were big chunks and the hose did help get rid of them.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
you do know to flush it just hook your water up and turn it on with the plug out