cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Friction sway control for 30'er?

dmopar74
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 29'(35 overall) trailer, and can get a bit of sway, especially around big rigs. I still need to buy a wdh, but am wondering if I will be happy with a cheaper setup that uses the separate friction sway controllers, or if I should just save up some money and get something like the curt trutrack or an e2. I tow with a 2016 ram 2500.
21 REPLIES 21

dmopar74
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Just figuring out what I need so thought I'd get some info. My last TT was a 24'with an ancient Reese trunion without sway control but never had a problem. I also tow a 14'000lb skid steer regularly bit when your pulling a small house behind I can see things could get out of hand. I've already towed my new TT 700 miles but know the benefits of a wdh are phenomenal, just have never has to deal with a sway control

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hensley and ProPride hitches get the job done.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would do something besides the old friction type or even my Dual Cam.
There are some very interesting new systems out there these days and they look lighter and less complicated.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes you should use a sway control of some kind. The manufactures of the hitches usually do not recommend using a single friction sway control on trailers over 26 feet long. You should use two of them on trailers longer than 26 feet.

Better yet, get a WD hitch that has sway control built in like the Reese Strait-Line (Dual Cam), the Equal-i-zer 4 point, or some others. I don't know anything about the Curt Trutrack but think you can do a bit better than the E2 for that size trailer. Please don't cheap out on the hitch.

I agree with the above posters who said to check your weights. Most people are very surprised when they finally get around to a scale and actually weigh their rigs. I tow my trailer with a 2016 Ram 2500 with the CTD and my rig has a tongue weight in the neighborhood of 1350-1400lbs. It was advertised as around 850lbs!
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friction sway control on my 28-foot. It's been on there for 2 years, used the same one on my 25-foot for 12 years.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
35 foot overall TT and you haven't bought a WDH yet? Loaded TT weight and current tongue weight are? Should I bet you don't know?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Still getting my RAM and Dual Cam dialed in for our 34 footer. I'm almost there but need a little more spring bar tension and to lower the ball.
One thought; Dont try to go cheap. You'll just end up replacing it soem day with the good stuff.
Also, VERIFY tongue and overall trailer weights! Do not trust what the manufacturer tells you.
My tongue weight is supposed to be either 975# (per sales literature) or 880# (per sticker in trailer). Toungue actually weighs in at #1500+!!! (no liquids and very little anything else.)
Trailer weighs more than #1000 over spec too.