cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frozen dump valves

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning another snow trip & remember our last one I had freezing conditions & sure I could ad antifreeze to the fresh water tank & keep the bathroom door open to keep those pipes from freezing but what about the Dump valve outside?

I was wondering if my wives Blow dryer might be enough to thaw it out enough before trying to dump Or what other options I need to consider for this issue?

Thanks in advance.
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
19 REPLIES 19

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
deltamaster wrote:
On such a trip the only tanks that would need to have antifreeze would be the gray and black. Of course you would not wish to have the potable water tank filled with antifreeze tainted water if you planned to drink it but if you just intend to use it to flush the toilet then it should not be a problem as long as you flush it out before using it to drink later on.

actually since that trip that I added antifreeze to the fresh water tank I've never drank from it.

To be honest I never drink tap water anyways.

Looking back I hope I didn't brush my teeth with?
Doubtful.
With '85 Lance.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
As for the fresh water side, I added the antifreeze into my fresh water tank & seems that's not what it's designed for?

We only used it for washing our hands & dishes & using the toilet.

For cooking & drinking we used bottled water & the dog got tap water we keep in a 3 gallon bottle we always try to keep topped of for him.

Is the residue on the rinsed dishes bad?

I figured if the fresh water has antifreeze in it so does the gray & black tanks?

Yet out of my fear I only added about a quart to my fresh water tank.

I think it's about a 30-40 gallon tank?

I'll need to double check it's size & then maybe can figure out the right amount of antifreeze?
With '85 Lance.

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
On such a trip the only tanks that would need to have antifreeze would be the gray and black. Of course you would not wish to have the potable water tank filled with antifreeze tainted water if you planned to drink it but if you just intend to use it to flush the toilet then it should not be a problem as long as you flush it out before using it to drink later on.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
louiskathy wrote:
We went on many weekend ski trips in Wisconsin and Michigan with the grand kids when they were still small enough to take up and pack along.

We winterized the rig... and put a porta potty in the shower for "night time" use only. We did not put any water in the fresh water tank.

Hubby took the porta potty with him in the morning when he used the campground shower. It was easy to dump the contents down the toilet. (At least I hoped he dumped it down the toilet.)

It's less hassle to refill a few empty gallon windshield washer fluid jugs with a 50/50 RV AF & water mix and use that poured into the regular toilet to 'flush' with.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
M GO BLUE wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
After you've emptied black & grey, put 1/2 gallon of RV / Plumbing antifreeze in each tank, then flush the toilet with a 50/50 blend of antifreeze & water.

Do NOT flush with windshield washer fluid.

Why would you reintroduce water into the lines when you are winterizing?

You wouldn't. I never said you should. I said "flush", as in pouring from jug into bowl.

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:
I'm planning another snow trip & remember our last one I had freezing conditions & sure I could ad antifreeze to the fresh water tank & keep the bathroom door open to keep those pipes from freezing but what about the Dump valve outside?

I was wondering if my wives Blow dryer might be enough to thaw it out enough before trying to dump Or what other options I need to consider for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

That is what I did in 2010 when I was working at Amazon in Campbellsville, Kentucky.

A block of ice formed at the gate valve so I got the hair dryer and propped it up and let it run until the ice melted.

This year I have heat cord on it so hopefully it will not happen again.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:
Then why do they sell it at most camper supply stores?
Labeled as nontoxic but you do not want to drink it.
Used to pump through fresh water system for winter storage. Needs to be flushed out before use.
Very difficult to flush out the fresh water holding tank.

I never these days ever drink tap water any ways..
With '85 Lance.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Blanco1 wrote:
Labeled as nontoxic but you do not want to drink it.
Used to pump through fresh water system for winter storage. Needs to be flushed out before use.
Very difficult to flush out the fresh water holding tank.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:

I could ad antifreeze to the fresh water tank.......

Or what other options I need to consider for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

YIKES !!

ADDING ANTIFREEZE TO YOUR FRESH WATER TANK SHOULD *NOT* BE AN OPTION...:S..:(

~

With '85 Lance.

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
We went on many weekend ski trips in Wisconsin and Michigan with the grand kids when they were still small enough to take up and pack along.

We winterized the rig... and put a porta potty in the shower for "night time" use only. We did not put any water in the fresh water tank.

Hubby took the porta potty with him in the morning when he used the campground shower. It was easy to dump the contents down the toilet. (At least I hoped he dumped it down the toilet.)
Kathy

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:

I could ad antifreeze to the fresh water tank.......

Or what other options I need to consider for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

YIKES !!

ADDING ANTIFREEZE TO YOUR FRESH WATER TANK SHOULD *NOT* BE AN OPTION...:S..:(

~

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
UltraHeat valve warmers

Thanks for that link I'll call them on Monday & consider ordering something from them. ๐Ÿ˜„
With '85 Lance.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Wrap the valves and pipe with old style heating pads.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.