cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Brake Controlers

rodeoboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 38 foot Montana 5th wheel and use a Pilot brake controller. Although I know my trailer is close to being overweight, I have noticed that my trailer just does not stop as fast as I would like and I have the controller maxed out.

I was thinking of switching out the controller cause it is almost 12 years old now.

What brake controllers do you use?

Just wondering,
Rodeoboy
11 REPLIES 11

oldbird1965
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little late to this party but a problem has developed on my P3. I have upgraded Mor/ryde disk brakes on my Travel Supreme 5er and last year didn't have any problems. I even had to back off the setting because of too much 5er brakes. Now, I'm hardly getting any action out of braking and I've turned the P3 way up. When I hit the brakes, I'm only getting .3 to .7 when I used to get 2.0 to 3.0. I emailed Tekonsha but no response yet. I think the controller has gone bad because when I reach down and use the brake lever on the controller it stops great! Any thoughts? Thanks
2008 Mobil Suites 36TK3, powerstroke one ton dually.

rodeoboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I have not adjusted the brakes but I did look at them and they still have a lot of show left.

I will look into adjusting them and maybe Santa will bring me a new brake controller over the holidays.

Thanks,
Rodeoboy

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the problems I've helped out with here and personally hands on...were with
the trailer side of the braking system

Poor wiring. From 'just' big enough gauge to El Cheapo connectors. And their
routing to save a few inches to a few feet has some runs doing double duty (gauge
will then be too small for that section/run)

The biggest culprit are the drum/shoe magnet wires. Both just barely large
enough and many times not in good shape...with short potentials

Finally, the shoes need to be adjusted often. The self adjusters don't do the
job well enough

Over on the TV side...the sense point is often not adjusted to have the trailer
lead the TV. GM has a nifty brake pedal switch that snaps over with less than
1/32" movement.

Other OEMs has the plunger type (think door bell button) and has to be manually
adjusted tighter...but the issue is not too tight, as it will false trip
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Pilot controller is a time based unit.

I would recommend getting a Prodigy P3 and you will not believe the difference in how smooth the P3 is compared to the Pilot.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much money do you want to spend?

A new brake controller will NOT make the brakes any more powerful.

Once you verify that the current brake controller is sending max power to the brakes (test it) and the brake controller is not deficient you have many options.

1) Verify the wiring on the trailer is of sufficient gauge and isn't damaged and the grounds are good.
2) Verify the 7 way plug on the truck and the trailer isn't corroded
3) Visually inspect the trailer brakes... they may need a simple adjustment (the auto adjusters do a great job...not) if so, you can either stop here or go straight to #6.
4) If the brakes are worn to the point they need replaced... replace the brakes.

Now, here is where it gets interesting.

5) You can replace the entire brake assembly as one unit simply by buying new complete backing plates that come with new brakeshoes, magnents, and springs. (great option).... or....

6) You can step up to the plate and REALLY upgrade your braking system to a Disk brake system.... this means that you will have Hydraulic disk brakes and you will have an electric/hydraulic actuator on your trailer.

If you go with option 6) you will have one of the best stopping fivers on the road.

If you fix the drum brakes you can keep running the Pilot or upgrade to the Prodigy.. the Prodigy is nice but a REAL upgrade on your brake controller is a DirecLink

If you do the Disk upgrade you will have to go with a Prodigy or a DirecLink or another controller that works with electric over hydraulic.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Similar problem here. Rather weak brakes on my new 5'er. Dealer checked brakes, even hooked it up to their own TV and said things were fine. Another RV shop hooked up a tester to TV and said my controller and wiring are working fine.

I have a P3 thats about 7 years old. It had worked fine on my 5000lb TT. It would lock up the brakes if I cranked the P3 too high. On my new 5'er I can feel braking just barely enough to help. No noticeable difference in braking when adjusting P3 from 5V max to 10V max.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Moved from Technology Corner

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A P2 or P3 will both work the same - strength wise. The P3 is a little fancier.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Most popular is the Tekonsha Prodigy line. P2 or P3 are good choices. I've got an old original Prodigy, over 10 years old and it still works like new. You might have some other problem too, like brakes needing adjustment.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Adjust the brakes and get a P-3.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When was the last time you adjusted brakes of that 2009 Montana?
OEM brakes?

As for brake controller.....Tekonsha P3
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31