cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have you quit without notice?

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
We're hosting at Buffalo Bill State Park, Cody, WY. Our fourth State Park in three States. We're one of three couples here currently. A fourth had committed to join us thru mid September and showed up as promised, went to work, and left after one week with no notice at dawn one morning. When they arrived, we introduced ourselves and they told us they did that in Utah, with no notice due to bad working conditions. We thought that was strange and felt a bit uncomfortable with them at the time; then they did it here. The park staff here is great to work with and very friendly, and very flexible and appreciative of the hosts. We've heard other parks host coordinators tell us similar stories about people just taking off. I believe a commitment is a commitment and sneaking away should ban people from hosting. What kind of people do these things?
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch
39 REPLIES 39

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
We only left one private rv park early due to conflicts with manager, and I took a written letter to him the day before, then we encountered two more private rv park situations in which what was told changed in the middle of the commitment time-frame. Now we only volunteer for state or national parks/wildlife regions.

We left early from one state park after telling the volunteer coordinator that we would have to leave at end of the month and unable to stay the final month. The reason was Hubby's cataracts were worse thus causing problems driving after twilight (and I cannot drive due to a medical condition). The asphalt roads which led into/out of campground did not have center or side painted lines ..

In 2013-2014 late Fall/Winter/Spring months we had the opportunity to volunteer at 7 different state parks for one-month commitments. This was a unique opportunity to 'survey' each state parks and make a decision whether we wanted to return. Sometimes we have even stopped in at state parks to stay a couple of nights just to see how the campground is laid out and to speak with the Rangers and/or volunteers. Each state park has its own unique characteristics and sometimes our personalities do not fit in with volunteering there.

Sometimes a little knowledge will prevent "walk-aways" and/or getting somewhere after making an extended commitment and realizing that it is not going to work out to stay there. And Yes, have been places where a family emergency or health issue has forced volunteers to leave unexpectedly.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Love to hear the other side of the story.
Maybe they had family issues or one of the people was unhappy.
How many of you would stay at a place if your partner said "I hate it here I want to leave?"
So without 2 sides do not condemn

That is fine but you give notice, you do not just up and pull out in the morning without warning.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking to the manager of a BLM park in Utah and she told me she's had several people walk out with no notice. One in the middle of the night because of high winds. Left his camp host jacket and hat on the front step of the office and never returned. The other also because of winds but at least told her he was leaving an hour before he did.

gkidsdlite
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this should be a new topic or not but since I am going to be fulltiming soon and want to find out from experienced fulltimers, I thought anyone on this topic would be good to talk to! I would not quit a commitment without notice unless an emergency and if I had a beef with the job I would explain the problem and try to get it remedied before giving that notice! My question to you is can you e-mail to me any info on places you have worked and whether you would recommend them to fellow fulltimers!

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
I'm so glad there are people like that.

There is no way I could of competed with some people with more brains than common since.

I never would of been able to retire if there weren't people that didn't want to work.

Thank you to all the folks that didn't feel like working. Made room for me!

That is a really great way of looking at it, guess that is the reason I always kelp a good job.

If I took a job, I would see it through, unless there was an emergency causing me to leave. Than I would explain the reason I was leaving to the ones in charge and the co workers. Would never just up and leave.

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
Or maybe they went to the supervisor to give notice or complained about something and the supervisor told them to get the heck out and now he is covering his tail feathers with the left without notice story. Wouldn't be the first time the truth gets lost in a mission of CYA.

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
Have never left a workamping job without notice. Been two we didn't like, but stuck it out.

Have been at parks where other workampers have left during the night. No notice.

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
While I have enjoyed being a volunteer with the VA state parks, I had one assignment where I couldn't seem to get along with the person I was assigned to work with. I found out later that I was not the only one but, the guy was so rude and unpleasant that I considered leaving. I went and discussed the situation with the park manager and was re-assigned to other duties. IMHO it is improper to just walk out. At least make it known to the management why you are leaving.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
DianneOK wrote:
We had a couple leave with no notice, just a note on the picnic table saying we knew where to send the check. After much conjecture and digging, we found out the sheriff was on his tail......sexual harassment of a young employee......

You just never know.....

A note on the picnic table? If the charges were not so so serious, that would be really funny!
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they were dopers and headed to Colorado for some fresh brownies.
Or maybe meth heads that just could not sit still.

Yea that has to be it.

Pogoil.

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
We quit a workamping job without notice one time.

What we were offered during the phone interview and what was actually given when we arrived were very different packages. Even with the almost nonexistent benefits, we still tried it for two weeks. We were promised benefits that would have worked out to about $8/hr but one biggie was missing when we arrived, making the real compensation equivalent to about $3/hr.

It just wasn't good enough to put up with the short changed package so I told the manager we quit, then we rolled out about a half hour later.

The lies we were told were not going to change. The manager was very unhappy that we quit, he said he wanted us to be the off season managers.

We didn't give notice but we did drive almost a thousand miles on a broken promise.

We no longer accept any offers to camp host, a free campsite just isn't worth the hassle to us.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We had a couple leave with no notice, just a note on the picnic table saying we knew where to send the check. After much conjecture and digging, we found out the sheriff was on his tail......sexual harassment of a young employee......

You just never know.....
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder what their reaction would have been if management came by and turned the power off, turned the water off and locked them both down in the middle of the night while having another volunteer parked in the road waiting to get on the site. All without any form of conversation with them.

I can only imagine.

To answer the original posted question, No. If I leave I give management a written resignation explicitly explaining why. This has only happened twice. I won't go in to the details but in both cases management told us one thing in the interview and did another when we arrived.

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Love to hear the other side of the story.
Maybe they had family issues or one of the people was unhappy.
How many of you would stay at a place if your partner said "I hate it here I want to leave?"
So without 2 sides do not condemn

I agree with the sentiment but not with the scenario as told. The campground deserves to be told. Sneaking off with no discussion would never be appropriate whatever the reason.
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.