cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas stations

Gillkid
Explorer
Explorer
I just upgraded to a 29' TT from a pop up. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but got to thinking about gas stations the other day. Is there a map or maybe an app for a smartphone that has ideal places to stop and get gas? If not, what approach do you guys take? My guess is that truck stations are going to be the way to go. I know that I've been in gas stations where I wouldn't even take my pop up. I'd hate to get stuck pulling the TT.
37 REPLIES 37

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
if you have smart phone pilot flying j app

Gillkid
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dutchmen...that's exactly what I was looking for. Perfect. To the rest of you guys, thanks for the advice. I usually start looking at 1/4 tank. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and bump that up to 1/2 when towing. Thanks again.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's something we all worry about when towing our first long TT or 5er. After a few trips you will get the knack for getting in and out of most fuel stations, the advice above is right on the money and following these tips will make the whole refueling experience less stressful. Enjoy your new rig!!!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I look for an outside island, and look for easy-in ... easy-out. Sometimes you've got to circle the block to come in a different direction. AND sometimes we just have to drive right on by. Diesel is more challenging than gas, because sometimes there's only 1 pump for diesel, and you've got to find it. That's not easy when you're dragging 35 feet behind a truck that takes a cornfield just to turn around in when not towing anything. We avoid fuel stations in towns when towing, simply because of the tight turns, limited access, and sometimes no diesel at all.

I never let my fuel gauge get more than 1/2 empty when I refuel. Even when not towing. For me 1/2 IS empty. When it gets to that point, I am aggressively looking for another fuel station.

Someone on these forums recommend the I-phone app 'GasBuddy.com" and I loaded on my phone. That has truly been a life saver for us. Because it can pin-point your location, we use that app when were in new territory. Although not like a GPS system, it does give a good map of where you're at and tracks you as you travel. So it serves a couple really good purposes. Plus, it's absolutely free and you can select to search for fuel stations based on availability of fuel grade, including diesel, and it give the price per gallon at each station. If you don't have the app, get it. You'll wonder how you lived without it. The maps also help to determine if we can actually get into a fuel station or not.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it is useful to drive around the building and come back to an end pump facing the street which allows for relatively easy exit.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Major stations are usually no problem. Try to pick a station on a corner. Come in the front end pump and go out the side street. No worries. Have never had a problem getting fuel in the last 6 trailers. If a problem just back out the way you came in.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will scope out the station before pulling in - even if means holding up some traffic for a few seconds. Also, I have had to back out of a station on more than one occasion. When that happens, my wife will act as spotter and stop traffic if necessary. I have even asked a fellow traveller to help me if my wife was not along.

Generally it is not a problem and if you try to get the outside pumps or stations that have parallel pumps to the road (getting rarer!) you will be ok. Beware of stations that have the pumps perpendicular to the station and close to it that allow patrons to park in front of the building. That is the situation that would most likely make you have to back out or wait for someone to move. In cases like that, I will not pull in unless the end pump is available.

It is not something that would require an app or something like that to help you out. Of course, truck stops are always an option but they are usually quite dirty.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the major freeway gas/fuel/food places have plenty of room for RVers. Usually there are more than one so you get to pick the one that has the best access. I have heard of RVer's that use Google Earth to preview their stop location.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.