cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator checklist

5er707
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to RV'ing and have a couple of generators coming my way. We already have our 5er pretty well stocked with the essentials. We are going dry camping next week and I don't really know what I should have for the generators. Any extra tools, gas cans, how much gas, etc?

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

RangerJay
Explorer
Explorer
Presuming you have a reasonable tool kit with your trailer then it should cover any needs you have with the generator. The only extra items we carry if we plan on taking our generator is a gas container and dining fly. The dining fly serves double duty as a generator shelter if the weather turns wet.

I should point out that our generator needs never include running the air-conditioner - basically just recharging the battery and periodically running my wife's hair dryer and also the vacuum cleaner. With just these needs we can go close to a week without having to refuel our little Yamaha 1000.

Jay
2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:

That is pretty darn good. I do not get anywhere near that fuel economy. Unless you mean running periodically for a day and a half. I think I am in the 10-12 hour range running in eco mode.

Should have clarified sorry for the confusion.

A day and a half meant during non-quiet hours at most campgrounds here. (6 a.m. to 10 p.m.) not 36 hours straight.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of brand of generator, I'd recommend an oil evac pump, full synthetic oil (splash lubrication is really hard on oil, so might as well use the best out there), spark plug wrench, replacement spark plug, and one of the more important things:

Bring plenty of fuel. Sometimes I've gone out on a weekend with the generator's tank full, and three (five gallon) gas cans that were full. Came back with empties, mainly because it was extremely hot/humid. Other times, I just needed a little bit of gasoline because I was running the generator to charge the batteries.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
*If* you don't run gen/s frequently, ethanol gasoline is not user friendly stuff.

Two options:
When shutting down, turn fuel off - allow gen to use (empty) fuel in line & carb.

If you don't want to do that - and even if you do - add Seafoam to the fuel.

(If there are any gas stations in your area that sell regular gas *WITHOUT* ethanol you are fortunate - buy your gas there).

BTW - most gen info can be found in/on the *Tech Issues* forum.

~

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Thats_Ok wrote:
OP is a bit vague.

We use the Honda EU 2000i when camping dry.
Runs a day and a half low to moderate load use on .9 gals of premium unleaded gasoline.

Never needed tools or anything other than 3 gallons of gasoline for a week with our generator.

That is pretty darn good. I do not get anywhere near that fuel economy. Unless you mean running periodically for a day and a half. I think I am in the 10-12 hour range running in eco mode.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Real rough if it or they are going to be running your AC figure 1/2 gallon per hour that is just a rough but if you go by that you probably won't run out. Some oil just in case. And someway to secure them so that they do not go missing. Bike locks chains and padlocks. My favorite that I saw was they bolted some 1/8 inch plate steel to the bottom of the generator leaving just enough sticking out on one end/side and the would pull there truck up on it.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking that the op intentionally left out the brand of gen set to avoid what is already starting.

Owned several different brand generators.

Some brands run reliably for years and years.
Some brands don't.

I bought what I bought because of the reliability I've experienced with that particular brand not just because of the name.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike LeClair wrote:
I'm thinking that the op intentionally left out the brand of gen set to avoid what is already starting...the chest thumping mines red, mines blue,
I hadn't seen any of that until now.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking that the op intentionally left out the brand of gen set to avoid what is already starting. You know, the chest thumping mines red, mines blue, mines better than yours etc. etc. Just a WAG on my part. YMMV

BTW, I run a Boliy and two other non "big name" brands, one is yellow and the other is black.

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2 paralleled EU2000 running a single 13.5 k A/C unit in a hot (85-95) humid environment in heavy shade will each burn through a full tank in ~6 hours in eco mode. I keep a couple of 6 gallon marine type tanks to refill them. You can get the extended run hoses I just prefer to monitor everything a tank at a time.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
OP is a bit vague.

We use the Honda EU 2000i when camping dry.
Runs a day and a half low to moderate load use on .9 gals of premium unleaded gasoline.

Never needed tools or anything other than 3 gallons of gasoline for a week with our generator.

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from DIY
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

JLTN_James
Explorer
Explorer
How much fuel depends upon how long the generators run, their size, and the load you put on them.

My lil' 2kW genset will run all day on 1.5 gallons of fuel, however with my pop-up, unless I'm running an electric heater, will never cause the generator to ramp up. Of course I don't have an electric water heater, air conditioner, TV, or even a radio in it!
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Gas, oil, spark plugs a couple of hand tools. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540