cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Genset issue

avan
Explorer
Explorer
First - I am not what you might consider handy and so I generally pay to have things done.

My MH has a 4KW Onan Microquiet gas genny. I purchased the MH from folks who rarely used it and found all the systems they had to learn confusing. The generator would not start and I factored that into my offer. Preparing for last summer travels, I took the MH to a Cummins/Onan factory run RV facility in Ft Myers. They replaced the carb and had it running and returned to me in a half hour or so. I then traveled using the gen set frequently over the next 6 months. On my last night out, I used the genny for a couple of hours for AC and some TV and then turned it off before retiring for the night.

I finished my trip the next day and arriving at home early afternoon, I tried to start the generator. It would not start and that was only 8 hrs or so after having been started and run the night before. It hasn't started since. It will turn over and will run a few seconds if I use the starter spray.

So I'm a bit curious why a genset, with about 100 hrs on it, would suddenly not start in such a short period of time. I don't mind getting it fixed but would like to be a bit more educated on what might be wrong and how long a fix should last. Surely a fix should last more than 6 months at a time? What say you?
www.putt10.net
27 REPLIES 27

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the simple things first. Pull the spark plug wire off first an see it you have spark? Disconnect the fuel line to the carburetor and crank the eng are you get a steady stream of fuel out of the fuel pump? If you can answer these two questions your problem will be easier to diagnose.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
I will go with a bad fuel pump as it had been running less than 12 hours before hand, now that it has been sitting for 6 months I will say not only do you need a fuel pump, but the carb cleaned too.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds wacky but try starting your RV leave it running and after a few minutes while still running try the generator. If generator starts let run for a few minutes and shut off RV but leave generator running for a while. Do not understand but has worked for us.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Ah... you're right on that. When I got back in Oct and the genny stopped working, I did put it in storage. I've gone to the storage lot perhaps a dozen times since Oct and tried to start it but without success. So I am well aware that 6 months of idleness hasn't done it any good and perhaps more harm. And that's OK. I don't have a problem spending the money to get stuff fixed especially for problems I may have exacerbated. I will be going back to Cummins in the next month to have it fixed before I start wandering again. I just thought how it died (virtually overnight) was strange and was seeking opinions. Also I was thinking before I show up at Cummins again, maybe I should get a bit of education, vis a vis what might need fixing, so that I don't appear as mechanically stupid as I really am. :B :B
www.putt10.net

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I understood your use of the genset on the road. You also stated that you left it in storage for 6 months without running it or am I wrong on that?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

avan
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

...but I'd still suggest you use the one working digit to start your genset more frequently. And, check that oil!
Without going back and rereading the entire thread, I thought I had said that I used the genny all summer up to and including my last night on the road only to have it not start the following day. To be more clear, I had the genset serviced the second week of April 2015 by Cummins/Onan factory facility. I left for the summer a week later. From then to when I got back in Oct, I put on 60+ hours on the generator pretty much evenly spaced. It was well exercised at least once per week - which is more than the working digit was :B I will check the oil when I get back to the storage facility as I was not aware that there is some sort of low oil level cut off switch.
www.putt10.net

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Westend, I'm pleased to let you know that I only have 9 thumbs as I have worked real hard over the decades to exercise and retain my right hand middle finger.

Can't help you with genetic impairments but I'd still suggest you use the one working digit to start your genset more frequently. And, check that oil!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
BruceMc wrote:

One thing to check on the pump - push and hold your start button to the off/prime position, and listen for clicking from the pump after about 5 seconds. If you have no clicking sounds, the pump has probably failed.

I understand the prime function which you describe is not universal among the Onan 4KY generator sets. I'm not sure if it's a matter of what year the generator was made, or if it's an option from the factory, or what. I do know that mine has no prime function (and I rather wish that it did), but operates just fine without any evident fuel pump issues.

Interesting. We've had two now, both are standard 4KY sets, both have the same functionality. (build dates approx 1999 and 2015)
I've seen many others recommend the stop/prime function on this board when they are having problems starting their units, so had accepted this was pretty much a standard function on these models.

I learn something new every day.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
BruceMc wrote:

One thing to check on the pump - push and hold your start button to the off/prime position, and listen for clicking from the pump after about 5 seconds. If you have no clicking sounds, the pump has probably failed.

I understand the prime function which you describe is not universal among the Onan 4KY generator sets. I'm not sure if it's a matter of what year the generator was made, or if it's an option from the factory, or what. I do know that mine has no prime function (and I rather wish that it did), but operates just fine without any evident fuel pump issues.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fuel pumps have a habit of failing on these units. Mine was running fine until one day, it didn't run. From your symptoms, it runs while being fed a source of fuel (the starting fluid), but dies otherwise. I would suspect the pump.

The filter might be clogged, but they'll usually give you an indication of that - it runs under no load, but it either struggles or dies under load as it is trying to pull more fuel than the filter will pass.

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Avan,

The Onan engines are used many other places. As this is the case, if your local Onan guy won't take it on for little or no cost, then find a local small engine shop that will admit that they know about Onan engines and cultivate a relationship.

When you do that, ask him what the engine is....
He will say that it is a "QG" or some such. Write that down. When you ever again have to talk to someone about say that you have a Onan QG Microquiet and any small engine guy will know where he is starting with the thing.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
avan wrote:
as I have worked real hard over the decades to exercise and retain my right hand middle finger. :B :B :B

When driving these days you need that finger in good working condition.

I don't bother to signal the older drivers around here though.....as I figure they are legally blind and wouldn't be able to see my salute anyway.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx Sam Spade and bobwalter. Didn't know that there was some sort of low oil cut off switch. That would also be an explanation of it going from running just great to 'dead' overnight without any apparent degradation while it was running. Westend, I'm pleased to let you know that I only have 9 thumbs as I have worked real hard over the decades to exercise and retain my right hand middle finger. :B :B :B
www.putt10.net

bobwalter
Explorer
Explorer
CHECK THE OIL. If it is justslightly low, it will prevent it from starting. If you used it for several hours, it may be low. CHECK YOUR OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynda & Bob ..N8DUV
2000 Safari Trek
sunny Sebastian, Florida