cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Water Hose Heater?

Pat_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, long time RV'ers, but new at long term RV living! Sold house, been living in fiver in RV park in Cascade foothills of Washington State. Here until December, we may experience a stretch of freezing weather, maybe not, but we want tobe prepared. Researched hose heaters, surprized at how little we found, mostly for platic pipes. We would appreciate any specific recommendations on what you use, brand and model, and where you got it!
Pat & Patty Anderson
2013 Columbus 295RL
2006 Silverado 3500 Duramax / Allison
1991 Alpenlite 25+2
1993 Ford F250
2005 C-Dory CD25 Cruiser
2014 Honda Forza Scooter
2013 Honda PCX150 Scooter
1987 Honda Sprees (matched set) - sold May 2015
Our blog
6 REPLIES 6

liberty2010
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.pirithose.com/rv.php
We have wintered in the Wichita, Ks area once in an RV park. They strongly suggested how to wrap your water hose with 1.5' of heat tape per foot of hose. Then wrap with foam pipe insulation. That will work the real issue will be the hose bib itself and where it fastens on to the rig.
We did what Old-Biscuit suggested above. Filled on the weekends and used the RV park Showers to save water at our house. We also used and still do use this; http://www.thermocube.com/ to turn on light bulbs. Turns on at 35 deg. and off at 45 degrees. Was taken us through 3 winters both in a series of RV parks and travelling in cold weather. THE BEST advice is move the rig as soon as possible to warmer weather in the winter.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd start by reading this thread:

Winter Camping

For really serious cold, heated hoses may freeze. It's best to use the on board pump and water tank.

Pat Anderson wrote:
Here until December, we may experience a stretch of freezing weather, maybe not, but we want tobe prepared. Researched hose heaters, surprized at how little we found, mostly for platic pipes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
deleted
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
I used a conventional heat tape on a conventional white hose without any problem.

wcferb
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a Pirat heated hose and useitwhenthe temps are cold.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cold weather.......fill fresh water tank and use on-board pump.
Refill as needed during daylight hours.

Temps need to get below freezing for several hours to cause problems.
I have used pipe insulation (split tube from hardware store) on water hose and 25' heat tape (also hardware store) but found just using fresh water tank was easier during cold temps.

My tanks are enclosed and heated......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31