cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Guess what happened to me today!

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'll just post the pic and I know you can guess what happened! ha, ha..

I did this fix at the rest area on I90 just after Cle-Elum going East... For those familiar with the area, you know where that is..

(this is not the pic from that rest stop, but when I got home today)

Seems I forgot to twist the lock tabs on the covers (yes, both top and bottom, but only lost the bottom one...)

It must have lasted at least some 50 miles after leaving Puyallup.

I noticed the drain tube flopping out in the wind from my mirror and thought... "well, that's weird... Maybe it's the slide gasket?. Well, we have the next rest stop in about 15 miles.. Will check it out there)

Nope, the minute I look, I knew exactly what it was and what I forgot to do leaving Puyallup, WA about 2 hours prior!

Rigged this up in the rest stop in about 15 minutes.. Worked great and the propane never blew out even with the cover MIA! It was running just fine at the rest stop..

Anyway, I have always carried cardboard and lots of zip ties, duct tape and a "ton" of other stuff on my travels and while I might not ever use it ever, I'm glad I have it when I need it!

I carry WAY too much stuff on each trip.. Full set of tools, jacks, jack stands, saws, you name it, I probably have it! ha, ha..

I've even dropped a gray water tank on my old Prowler TT several years ago and I was able to fix it on the road (well, in the camp site) with what I brought with me..

Folks say they don't pack 'water' to save weight.... Well, I carry water and a ton of tools and other stuff and I have people asking if I happen to have any tools at times they can borrow..

Anyway, just what works for me and I know I don't have to rely on any "road service" to rescue me for some basic things... Sure, a vehicle engine failure would cause some grief, but I'll deal with that too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.
21 REPLIES 21

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. Been there. Our old TT had the upper and lower exit windows in the bunks. Well my daughter mustโ€™ve bumped it and knocked the latch loose. Lost the window somewhere south of Atlanta on 75. After that I bought some double sided Velcro and used that to hold it from bumping open.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Hah, wife and I often camp with a friend who is Walmart on wheels.....you name it this guys got it from air compressor, floor jack, chainsaw, brake fluid, antifreeze and the list goes on.

BUT, I always feel very confident towing with him. Lol

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, I even checked out the local RV dealerships and even called my dealer and asked if they had a cover in 'stock'... Nope... "It'll take a couple weeks to get one in".. I ordered one off of Amazon for around $50 and it'll be here 7/31..

Anyway, been doing this "RV" thing for awhile now and there will always be something that catches you and make your trip one to remember!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Put a new cover on mine a couple years back. Got lucky and found a Dupli-Color can of sparay that is very very very close to the RV.. Made the formerly tri-color cover monochrome but nobody notices it

You can get the part at most major RV places . Comes in both white and black.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Well done on the field fix!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Homemade cardboard refrigerator cover/vent. After losing original.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i donโ€™t know what the photo is showing. ???
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle