cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hand-powered chainsaw -- for emergency use

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we boondock, we sometimes come upon fallen logs blocking the forest roads (especially in the wake of the bark beetle epidemic), and I usually use a bow saw to cut them (if we can't just move them out of the way by hand). This only comes up once a year or so -- if it were every time, I would bring a chainsaw!

But a chainsaw is bulky and messy -- I do not have unlimited room in the cargo bed of my truck.

So I am going to give this project a try -- I have several old saw chains sitting around, ones that do not fit my current chainsaw. This video shows how to attach handles to a chain and then use it manually to cut wood.

Not sure it is much better than a bow saw, but it is certainly easier to store and carry! Plus it gives me something to do while I am busy practicing my "anti-social distancing." ๐Ÿ˜‰

Video
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
56 REPLIES 56

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just saw a trimmer at sam's club that said could reach up to 15?? ft. didn't pay any real attention to it however.
bumpy

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
There are a plethora of very capable cordless chainsaws out now. For sure.
But they have their place, and "cuts better than a small gas saw" is very subjective and sounds like a pride of ownership thing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
drsteve wrote:
pnichols wrote:
I once tried an electric chain saw but found it to be useless because of it's lack of power as compared to gas chain saws.

How long ago was that? I have an electric pruning saw on a pole with an 8 inch bar, the thing cuts fast and effortlessly.

me too
bumpy

my boy just bought a Ryobi battery powered chain saw it cuts better than a small gas saw and runs for hours. and NO PROBLEMS STARTING IT.. i'd like to watch the o/p cut a dry 6-8" log into with the chain. i'd be sure and have my cell with me ready to call 911. why not just a good sharp ax or hatchet.
Jay D.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
pnichols wrote:
I once tried an electric chain saw but found it to be useless because of it's lack of power as compared to gas chain saws.

How long ago was that? I have an electric pruning saw on a pole with an 8 inch bar, the thing cuts fast and effortlessly.

me too
bumpy

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live on property with all kinds of trees which requires me to use various pruning tools, such as: Hand saws, extension hand saws, regular chain saws, extension chain saws. I once tried an electric chain saw but found it to be useless because of it's lack of power as compared to gas chain saws.

I found a Corona hand saw to be the best hand saw for small to large tree limbs, and even sometimes use one around home instead of a chain saw.

I carry a Corona hand saw in the motorhome just like the one use at home (mine have wooden handles, but new versions have composite handles): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00221Q3GA?ie=UTF8&tag=bestcoverycom-20&linkCode=xm2
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
While a noble cause I would carry a battery electric.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
jkwilson wrote:
If only they made folding bow saws...

They do but it has been a long time since I saw one.

Another thing they make is what I will call a "Cable saw" it's thinner than a chain saw (so less effort) and may well cut both ways.. Flexible cable with teeth between handles.. Google Pocket Saw.

One of the Amazon hits.

I used to carry a similar thing in my backpacking days. Mine was more like a piece of barbed wire made of cable, than a saw chain. Checked all the boxes: Worked well enough, weighed nothing, took up no room.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
jkwilson wrote:

Another thing they make is what I will call a "Cable saw" it's thinner than a chain saw (so less effort) and may well cut both ways.. Flexible cable with teeth between handles.. Google Pocket Saw.

One of the Amazon hits.

Iโ€™ve had one for many years. Carried it in my toolbox when I had cattle and fences to take care of away from home.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here: Well, I made a "manual chainsaw" like in the video and tried it out -- it does work, but it's a lot of work. Nevertheless, I am going to carry it in my truck -- it packs up into a very small size, and there are times when it might come in handy.

Plus it gave me something to do this morning. We are stuck at home -- I am in a "vulnerable category," so I am forced to go into my garage with a mask on. Which describes a lot of my usual non-camping leisure time! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
jkwilson wrote:

One of the Amazon hits.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
Newer trucks and SUVs have 110 volts plugs for low powered stuff including electric chain saws. My 2015 Tahoe was limited to 300 watts, the 2020 Silverado has 400 available.

Bad intel here. Unless you can show us an electric chainsaw that draws less than 3 or 4 amps.

Cordless and use the inverter to charge batteries maybe, but can't run a saw off of them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Fun fact: the amount of elbow grease needed to make a saw cut is proportional to the width of the kerf.

This suggests to me that a bow saw with a suitably aggressive blade will always be easier to use than anything short of a chain saw motor using a chain.

Please do feel free to prove me wrong via actual experience.

You would be correct. I have used a hand powered chainsaw for interior canoe camping only because of it's small dimensions/weight but would use a bow saw if I had a choice between the two.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL!! An exercise in futility if you want to cut anything that has any weight. Looks like something from Popular Mechanics when I was a kid. Hope someone is with you that knows CPR if you try this.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Battery powered chainsaws are light, powerful, and easily carried.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP