cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I can see that I will have to go shopping. LOVE that cooper pipe idea.
It reminded me that we purchased some Fireplace Tongs to help us move logs when we have a campfire.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Jacksons
Explorer
Explorer
We put an electric jack on the tongue instead of the screw type,best money I ever spent on trailer
2002 Rockwood 8272s
2005 Yukon xl Denali 6.0
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of my favorite's. Go to Lowes or HD and get an 18" piece of copper pipe about 3/8 or 1/4 diameter. Put a piece of tape around one end. You now have the greatest tool ever made to keep your campfire going if the wood is wet or a little to green. If you've ever spent the night blowing on a fire trying to keep it going or to get it to flare up again, you will love this. It will turn the smallest flame into a blowtorch in nothing flat.
edit: obviously you blow into the end with the tape
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
My DH and I are going out to a "baby" store to get magnetic locks for our camper. We saw them in use in a home and thought they would be great for keeping doors closed in our 5th wheel. Has anyone here used them?
2017 Coachmen Galleria

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
NCHornet1 wrote:
Levelair Air Bags

The above is the best gizmo I have purchased for my trailer. No more getting the level close. I am dead on all the time. Adjustments are done easily without moving the trailer. I can't say enough how terriffic these bags are. I made a Y adaptor to fill both bags at the same time. I am perfectly level in less than 2 min. With a total height of 4" they have worked everytime. The best part is no more hauling a lumber yard with me on vacation!!!

I saw those. I tried to connect with them and they never answer their phone calls. Are they still in business? Didn't answer email either.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
LHOTH wrote:
I just found this -
Folding Butcher Block Island.

I'm looking for something like that! Is it very sturdy and can it take a pounding? I might consider it for an extention of my workbench.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Re towells, DW had a great idea: she found an electric towell warmer at Bed, Bath and Beyond that fits perfect on the wall. Keeps towells dry, and of course, warm.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

housetrash
Explorer
Explorer
I actually posted in another section (didn't know this one was here) and I was looking for a supplier of my very favorite RV and travel product, which is a very special wicking towel. I was pleased that someone was able to direct me to the website where I could get a couple more (I already had one given to me as a gift but couldn't find another). Anyway, it's called a "Wick-er Warmup" towel, and the reason it's my favorite for travel is a couple of reasons. One, it is permanently anti-bacterial, because it has silver embedded in the material, so it never smells even if it's damp. Second, it is very thin and dries out very quickly, faster than other towels, so for the RV it's perfect, I only need a few. It takes up hardly any space. Third, It can be used as a beach towel and also a beach coverup as it is large enough, and it protects from the sun. It also feels lovely. In the other forum I was given the website address of www.discoverytrekking.com , and I was able to contact them and order a couple more. I'm not sure why they aren't more widely available, but the people at Discovery Trekking were a pleasure to talk to.
I have used other "high tech" towels, and they all have their place, but this is a truly amazing fabric. Just my 2 cents worth.

Claudette.

Dianne_and_Tom
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2 drawer deep plastic unit that we had in our first rv as there was no pantry and I used it to store grocery items. We now use it as a portable "dresser",we bring it in before a trip,load it up with under wear,my nightgowns,socks etc and put it in the closet,it fits under Tom's shirts. Its just so much easier than taking arm loads of clothes out,especially if its raining-which has happened to us before! I also got Tom to get me a tension rod to put in the shower(when not in use) to hang wet clothing items that can't be put in the dryer. I don't like to hang clothes outside for the birds to visit or neighbors to see(Ok-I'm weird!) We have 2 way rechargable radios that we not only use to help back in but we give one to friends we travel with. We try to follow each other,but they have a motorhome,need fuel less often and don't have to stop to make a sandwich. We are usually close enough to beep each other and let each other know whats going on. We keep one in our rv during the day too and if we want to go somewhere we don't have to run over.We are both night owls but turn them off when we go to bed,unless we need an early wake up call from the other!

Dianne
2006 Chevy 2500 Duramax
2010 Cameo 35SB3

T5Bird
Explorer
Explorer
Well I guess since there is absolutley no interest from the mods to put a sticky on this we'll all have to continue buying stuff.:Z

Just picked one of these up .
Very nice little unit, washes off real nice too

Hand-e-block
1988 F-250 7.3 diesel...Banks Charged. / 2005 Fleetwood Pioneer 180CK

readytravelers
Explorer
Explorer
Boy do I love the idea of the shoe cover/"booties". I can't stand how messy the diesel areas are at the pumps and you have to smell it when you track it in.

One idea I got once from this rvnet board is to put plexiglass sheets behind and beside my cooktop to prevent splatters from getting on the wall. My husband cut them to size and then I used velcro tabs to hold them in place.

I love this thread. I hope people keep posting good ideas!

2Rovers
Explorer
Explorer
We keep a box of the "booties" (that medical staff wears in the O.R.)at the door of the motorhome. When we stop at truck stops, DH wears a pair over his shoes to keep the oil and grease off the bottom of his shoes. When he's finished fueling, we drop them in a trusty WalMart bag and toss in the trash. Helps save the front end of the motorhome carpet and rugs.
I think sometimes we forget that the freedoms we have are freedoms not because of celebrities. The freedoms are because of ordinary people who did extraordinary things, who loved this country more than life itself.

AprilShowers
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another one for the plastic 3-drawer things. I put one outside near the place where we cook and serve food. I put things like paper plates, napkins, silverware, pot holders, matches, can & bottle coolers, etc. It sure saves alot of trips into the camper when we're preparing meals.
"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission."
Eleanore Roosevelt

Joe_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
SRAKC wrote:
You know, a strange part of me wants to try this. How cool would a stowable deck be at the local CG? My DW would probably leave me if I attempted this mod.

Fold down deck

๐Ÿ™‚

Steve.

For another option check out the King of the Road 5ers with the "SlideDeck"

SlideDeck
=================================================
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, CTD, 4x4, auto

2010 Open Range 399BHS

AprilShowers
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of those over the door shoe holders to organize the small things we were always looking for.
I hung it on the inside of a closet door, and we store sunscreen, bug spray, flashlights, batteries, cell phone chargers, etc. It's been a great addition. You can find these in all shapes and sizes. If it doesn't fit just right, you can cut off a row of pouches and customize it.
"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission."
Eleanore Roosevelt