cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
Hey...it works! I like it! Necessity...the mother of invention! Good ol' fashioned ingenuity at work...Nice job! Thanks for sharing.

We kinda had the same problem with inside soap...it was usually stored under the sink when moving and I'd forget to put it back up on the counter when stopped...and we always had dirty hands when we needed it. Our local RV repair shop had those stick-on bottles of hand sanitizer...so I bought a couple..we used the sanitizer and saved the bottles for liquid soap. Now they are always stuck on the counter next to the kitchen and bathroom sinks...never have to go looking! Best part is that the bottles are removeable from the base for easy refilling!
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking for a liquid soap dispenser to go in the "utility" compartment by the outdoor shower, but everything I found was either $50+ or had "features" that made it inappropriate. For instance, Home Depot had a wall mount soap dispenser about the right size, but the lid just sat loosely on top.

So I finally gave up and made a bracket to hold a dial soap bottle. I used a Simpson Strong Tie L bracket from Home Depot, drilled and then punched a hole big enough for the threaded part of the the soap bottle to go through and then sandwiched the bracket between the bottle and the screw on top. Hopefully the top won't vibrate loose while traveling.

Total cost 51 cents...

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Yankee44
Explorer
Explorer
Finaly made it through all 118 pages. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread, I will be useing alot of your ideas.

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
ArmySFCRet wrote:
Yep, DEAR WIFE or DEAR HUSBAND. Of course, the context may lead to some other assumption. :B

Uh...yeah. And in that case not only does the D not stand for Dear, but the H doesn't stand for Husband either.

Not that I've ever wanted to use it that way yaunnerstan...

Denise from Ark

ArmySFCRet
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, DEAR WIFE or DEAR HUSBAND. Of course, the context may lead to some other assumption. :B

'04 Cross Country 35' w/300 Cummins
'14 Ford Escape on KarKaddy 460SS
'09 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew 5.7 Hemi MDS
'51 & '53 Hudson Hornets 308 6cyl w/

TWIN H-POWER

&
5 lbs of BG the Yorkie
Members of:
Grand Canyon Chapter of Hudson Essex Terraplane Club Inc

jonsisk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello GoodSammies!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

First off, I just want to say how incredibly useful these forums have been and want to thank you more experienced types for taking the time to share your wisdom and tips.

Since I became a full-timer in February, I have really enjoyed the lifestyle and just love sharing my 26ft TT with my 13 year old, three-legged Lab mix. Great fun and she's a terrific and gentle ambassador.

My own dumb little contribution to this thread: I use the sticky earthquake goo that people in earthquake zones use to keep their chotzkes from falling during shaking in my medicine cabinet.

Tweezers, deodorant, razors, etc. all get their own little blob on the shelf or back wall to secure to when not in use.

With a gentle tug, they come unstuck for use, then a gentle push reattaches them. Every time I open my medicine cabinet, everything is right where I left it.

I have also had success with the yellow, Silly-Putty kind of stuff used for hanging pictures, but find it doesn't hold as well on slick surfaces.

I do have one question on your terminology here. I see "my DH" or "DW" used a lot and infer that the H means husband and W means wife, but what does the D stand for? I'll guess "Dear" for the sake of politeness, as my mind tends to wander towards some far less pleasant possibilities in the absence of the truth.

Thanks again, and Happy Trails!

Jon Sisk
My personal site and Travels With Shelby Blog

foxface
Explorer
Explorer
Another trick we used was replacing our RV stereo with a Car audio deck. this gives you the option to pick a deck that is 1, 1 1/2 or 2 din size and we chose one that would play DVD and Divx ( Divx being a compression format for movies. Akin to what MP3 is to music) we converted all of our movies into divx format and keep them on USB drives. SD card and portable hard drives as we chose to organize them. Saves a TON of room for people who travel with 2 kids and we have a surplus of movies available if we get rained in. although we try not to use our electronics as much as possible.. we didn't go camping to do what we can do at home. another advantage of these stereos is they will play mp3's as well for people who listen to music while they are camping.

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these to put my sewer hoses, mat, and metal step in...really saves the back.http://www.stowaway2.com/catalog.aspx?cid=59

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
djbogue wrote:
Can someone tell me where the post is about the propane tanks is located in this topic?

A little more info might be helpful. Are you trying to refill disposable tanks? Are you trying to prevent theft of your tanks? Are you trying to relocate your tanks? Probably easier to ask your question than search this thread.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

djbogue
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone tell me where the post is about the propane tanks is located in this topic?
2013 Chev Silverado, 2500HD D/A
2010 32' Mountaineer model 285rld

Shirl_V
Explorer
Explorer
I have a problem raising and lowing my awning so do not use it most of the time. I do miss the shade so my solution is: A 7 ft beach umbrella inserted into an umbrella clamp for bleachers. I clamp it on the picnic table and tilt in any direction needed.
Shirl V
1999 Georgie Boy Maverick 26'

I monitor CB Ch 13

journey15
Explorer
Explorer
foxface wrote:
We don't drink the water in our fresh water tanks. Spoiled with bottled water too long or something. We bought this and just bring 2 18 gallon bottles of water with us and use a manual pump to pump the water out for drinking. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/Summer/BBQsAccessories/BBQTanksBriquettes/PRD~0851429P/Tank%2BGenie.jsp
we also use the genie to hold our propane tanks since they won't fill them if you aren't storing them vertically.

Our son has a habit of waking up as soon as he sees light... at 5 am.. so for the bunkhouse we bought some earth magnets ( 20 bucks for 60 pieces on ebay) and some black out cloth and sewed the magnets around the edges. we'll let the magnets hold the black out over the window and it's easy to remove to let the light in during the day. no velcro or anything left around the window.

clicky
Full Timing June 2015
07 Allegro Bus 40QSP
08 Honda CRV EXL with Blue OX and US Gear Braking System
FMCA #381833

n4gnn n4hon
I Never Look Back, I'm Not Going That Way!

foxface
Explorer
Explorer
We don't drink the water in our fresh water tanks. Spoiled with bottled water too long or something. We bought this and just bring 2 18 gallon bottles of water with us and use a manual pump to pump the water out for drinking. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/Summer/BBQsAccessories/BBQTanksBriquettes/PRD~0851429P/Tank%2BGenie.jsp
we also use the genie to hold our propane tanks since they won't fill them if you aren't storing them vertically.

Our son has a habit of waking up as soon as he sees light... at 5 am.. so for the bunkhouse we bought some earth magnets ( 20 bucks for 60 pieces on ebay) and some black out cloth and sewed the magnets around the edges. we'll let the magnets hold the black out over the window and it's easy to remove to let the light in during the day. no velcro or anything left around the window.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jeanne M wrote:
I have a manual beer can opener

You know, I think I've heard stories about those 'manual' ones...what do they look like! :W

Church Key!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a manual beer can opener

You know, I think I've heard stories about those 'manual' ones...what do they look like! :W
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures