cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
To keep from wasting a whole "SOS" pad, cut each one into quarters (4 pieces). Use a piece when you need it and throw it away.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket wrote:
Jim, "I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong."

LOL. ๐Ÿ™‚
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
To add to the list, one for us folks who like to keep the RV at least partly stocked, but live where cans and jars might freeze and bust and make a mess... Store the bustables in ziploc-type bags. At least the mess'll be easy to clean up.... ;). Put the carbonated stuff in a baggie, set / wedged upright, but don't quite close the zip. This way, if there's a leak, it can vent.

A non-RV-specific tip that I confirmed Saturday. WD-40 works great on metal snow shovel blades ๐Ÿ˜‰ to keep the wet snow from sticking when you dump it. I suspect most other spray lubes would work, too. It reduces the wasted labor content just a little....

Jim, "I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Thumperpull
Explorer
Explorer
For LarryJM
That thing have warm water? And a bumpety bump.
Mike and Catherine
2004 Thumper 261S
2002 GMC Yukon XL

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
fullmoonoversalem wrote:
NCHornet1 wrote:
Levelair Air Bags

The above is the best gizmo I have purchased for my trailer. No more getting the level close. I am dead on all the time. Adjustments are done easily without moving the trailer. I can't say enough how terriffic these bags are. I made a Y adaptor to fill both bags at the same time. I am perfectly level in less than 2 min. With a total height of 4" they have worked everytime. The best part is no more hauling a lumber yard with me on vacation!!!

I saw those. I tried to connect with them and they never answer their phone calls. Are they still in business? Didn't answer email either.

I understand they went out of business in early 2007.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
NCHornet1 wrote:
Levelair Air Bags

The above is the best gizmo I have purchased for my trailer. No more getting the level close. I am dead on all the time. Adjustments are done easily without moving the trailer. I can't say enough how terriffic these bags are. I made a Y adaptor to fill both bags at the same time. I am perfectly level in less than 2 min. With a total height of 4" they have worked everytime. The best part is no more hauling a lumber yard with me on vacation!!!

Can you give a better link?
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
foxyduramax wrote:
I have wood floor in my kitchen area, it is hard on my feet when I stand in the kitchen for a long period of time.
I bought the solf tiles interlocking to cover the whole kitchen floor.
It is soft so you can cut them to fit any floor shape and the foam stress to fit tighly no curl up or moving edge. You can choose any color you like.
It is solf on your feet , no noise when you walk.
It is quiet when you drop something on it.
You won't break the dish or glass if you drop them on the floor.
It is easy to clean , you can sweep, wipe, mob as you do to the regular floor.
It is an allergy free, unless you are allergic to the foam.
It snaps off, so if one section need to get a good cleaning, take that piece outside to clean, dry it and snap back to the floor.
It is reasonable price (I paid about 20.00 for a pack of 6) , If one piece get damage you can replace just that piece. It keeps my original floor looking brand new.
It is much cheaper and less hassle to replace the solftiles floor than the original floor.
you can see the sample of the solftiles at this website
https://www.softtiles.com

We have them on the floor of our kitchen at home and, yes, they are good.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

rasmudl
Explorer
Explorer
Denise in Ark wrote:
RE: RV MATTRESS UPGRADE

Yep we had that issue. How weird is it that mfr's of a $100K camper will put a $50 mattress in it? It's something that we have never figured out. We're shopping to upgrade and have been shopping seriously for over a year. Not only that, DH has a fetish about RV shows so we have to go to every one within driving distance. You can imagine how many RV's we've gone into and inevitably it's the same story.

TWO tips with this: first, we had a networking bud and got a free super high quality custom made mattress for free. So that's what we did. Yep, it's too heavy for the holder-upper doohickies. (I always like to use the most technical terms for things, don't you?) Our resolution was not to replace those but to screw a cat food can (closet rod holder, just about anything of that general shape would do) to the underside of the platform. A tension rod has rubber stoppers on both ends and so won't slide out of place when you use it to prop the bed open, but a dowel would probably work just as well as long as there is carpet under the bed.

The second tip will get you a good matt, esp if you like a softer bed, without spending much at all. Buy one of those things that keeps an area rug from slipping and hot glue it to the top of the platform. Top it with an air mattress, and if you want to gild the lily, top that with foam mattress pad, your choice of thickness. This will make the sheets fit better too. Less than $100 and I have slept better on a bed like this than any other bed in my whole life.

Denise in Ark

When I bought my Cougar new in 02 I slept on that 2" mattress about 3 nights before it went in the garbage. Went to the local fabric store for a piece of felt to cover the plywood platform (no slivers wanted in air mattress) and then to Wally-World for the mattress. ($17.00 approx.) I also bought a double size electric blanket (on sale) and placed it on the platform under the air bed. When on shore power I always had a warm bed in the cooler months.

foxyduramax
Explorer
Explorer
I have wood floor in my kitchen area, it is hard on my feet when I stand in the kitchen for a long period of time.
I bought the solf tiles interlocking to cover the whole kitchen floor.
It is soft so you can cut them to fit any floor shape and the foam stress to fit tighly no curl up or moving edge. You can choose any color you like.
It is solf on your feet , no noise when you walk.
It is quiet when you drop something on it.
You won't break the dish or glass if you drop them on the floor.
It is easy to clean , you can sweep, wipe, mob as you do to the regular floor.
It is an allergy free, unless you are allergic to the foam.
It snaps off, so if one section need to get a good cleaning, take that piece outside to clean, dry it and snap back to the floor.
It is reasonable price (I paid about 20.00 for a pack of 6) , If one piece get damage you can replace just that piece. It keeps my original floor looking brand new.
It is much cheaper and less hassle to replace the solftiles floor than the original floor.
you can see the sample of the solftiles at this website
https://www.softtiles.com

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I got these from Camping World #26169 and they are cheaper.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clicky
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

janculb
Explorer
Explorer
For those that would like a roll up holder for awning lights, these work wonderfully well - I do not know how to turn it into a click on link if someone would like to help. http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=344

Glenn_Diesel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!:)

CactusJohn
Explorer
Explorer
Glenn_Diesel wrote:
"Saw the above and figured sandy43 was a sled (luge) competitior."

While your at it JC, you might as well drop the extra I in competitior...;)

As they say "people who live in glass houses..." While "your" at it Glenn, you might as well use the right word: you're instead of your.
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5er
2012 F250 Lariat SuperCab, 6.7L PSD
PullRight SuperGlide

Glenn_Diesel
Explorer
Explorer
"Saw the above and figured sandy43 was a sled (luge) competitior."

While your at it JC, you might as well drop the extra I in competitior...;)