cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Gruu
Explorer
Explorer
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
LTCLarry wrote:
popeye59 wrote:
LTCLarry wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
Dump the zip ties for some good old fashioned stainless hose clamps. The kind you tighten with a screwdriver.
Why?

Because the non-UV rated zip ties deteriorate relatively quickly, whereas the UV rated ones (which come in many colors besides black), last much longer.
I used UV rated ties. Picked them up at Consolidated Electric. Is there another reason?

Even the UV rated ties are only UV resistant, not UV proof. They still will eventually fail, probably sooner than you think (I'm speaking from experience here). You have a several thousand dollar RV (probably tens of thousands)yet you want to cheap out and use the zip ties? The stainless hose clamps are stronger and pretty much last forever.
Can they be installed without using the tensioner, it looks quite expensive.

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
3ares wrote:
We put wind socks on the coroners of out slide outs. Works for us and they are colorful.

I know some of those edges can be dangerous, but deadly enough to warrant coroners?
:B
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Save your Dryer LINT and mix it with Petroleum Jelly and store in Medicine Bottle.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Gruu
Explorer
Explorer
rv-time wrote:
Cruzette wrote:
You can use Fritos Corn chips in a pinch as a fire starter. There is so much grease in them, that they will burn :E

SERIOUSLY?!

:E
Doritos too.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
That is what we do. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

kebmw
Explorer
Explorer
This is a tip about not filling up the grey tank too fast.

I use a big plastic dish tub that fits in one half of my sink when I do dishes. All day long I put my scraped off dishes in there with hot water and a little soap. I keep adding water to it as needed, but at the end of the day when I do dishes, I fill it up about 2/3 with hot water, a little more soap and then when I rinse the dishes I rinse over the tub so that most of that water goes into the dish tub too, so not very much into the grey tank. I am careful with water. You know a "navy shower"?, Well this is "navy dishes". When I'm all done, I mostly have clean soapy water, because I don't let food particles get in there. Then sometimes I dump it into our black tank and sometimes I dump it out in the woods a little ways wherever we are camping. That way my kitchen grey tank can pretty much last most of a whole week without dumping and helps my black tank stay clean(er).

~Karin

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
That is a great idea.
3ares wrote:
When we break camp I have specific places for items that roll up. To may sure they fit in there place I roll them to the correct size. With the roll the size I want I put a mark on the hose, cable, etc next to the plug end on both ends so when I roll them up next time the item is the same size. The mark on both ends is for rolling up from eighter end.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

elliott-Maine
Explorer
Explorer
3ares wrote:
Posted: 03/30/14 08:24pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Our Montana fifth wheel bedroom slide has really sharp corners. The outside edge could catch us going around the corner, the other could nail hubby when he is connecting the black water hose. Simple solution: pipe insulation foam. It has stayed on through some really high winds here at the house too!

We put wind socks on the coroners of out slide outs. Works for us and they are colorful.

We found some corner bumpers in the baby department at WalMart. They have trim tape on them to stick them in place. The slide can close and they have been in place for nearly 4 years. thee cost for 4 of them was about $11 dollars.
Elliott & Vicky, and Hanna, our GSD as the back seat driver
2014 Redwood 36RE, dual pane windows, Onan, and lots more
2013 RAM dually,4x4, Cummins, Aisin

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
Worried about blow out on your trailer? I have installed aluminum jeep style fenders up into the wheel wheels. Some modifications were required. Greatly reduces damage. Bought the fenders from Tractor Supply.

Happy Camping
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
When we break camp I have specific places for items that roll up. To may sure they fit in there place I roll them to the correct size. With the roll the size I want I put a mark on the hose, cable, etc next to the plug end on both ends so when I roll them up next time the item is the same size. The mark on both ends is for rolling up from eighter end.
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
Posted: 03/30/14 08:24pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Our Montana fifth wheel bedroom slide has really sharp corners. The outside edge could catch us going around the corner, the other could nail hubby when he is connecting the black water hose. Simple solution: pipe insulation foam. It has stayed on through some really high winds here at the house too!

6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
3ares wrote:
The best fire starter I have ever used is a small soldering torch on a small propane bottle. Works great on wet wood.

Happy Camping

I use this for my wood stove at home all the time.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
The best fire starter I have ever used is a small soldering torch on a small propane bottle. Works great on wet wood.

Happy Camping
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission

sprint180
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
This falls under "Why didn't I do this 10 years ago...". We always carry plastic leveling blocks, but don't always use them. I usually put boards under the wheels. Many times I'll use a plastic level block to help level the picnic table, grill, etc. but usually they just stay neat and clean in the back of the truck. Well, our TT is not getting any younger. The floor is showing its' age by how the step moves when you get in and out. Our last camping trip for some reason I realized I could use the leveling blocks like what is pictured below. Nice thing is, it is easily adjustable by adding or taking away blocks. The campsite was a bit angled, but it worked great! Wife noticed the difference right away. You can also use wood blocks if you have them. Like I said, why didn't I do this 10 years ago??

This is funny because we haul ours around too and don't use them. On our last trip I had that bright Idea too. Great minds think alike.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Okay, I'm missing something. That looks like a really long step to the ground. Why not repair the steps? Doesn't cost that much.

Nothing wrong with the step. Just a simple way to add support. If we keep the TT, I will need to reinforce the floor, as with age the floor (which the step is attached to underneath) has gotten soft and the step moves a lot.

Long step to the ground simply due to the campsite. If I put another step there (I carry an 6x8 2ft block for that purpose), then the steps would be too close together.

As I said, a simple thing that I just never thought of doing.