cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
aboeck3 wrote:
Great idea about the UPS, is there a way to protect the whole system on one UPS unit? If so, where would it be placed.

I love this particualr thread, I have read all 194 pages and check every morning for additional comments - and I don't even have a MH yet!!!

You're obsessed :B
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

aboeck3
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea about the UPS, is there a way to protect the whole system on one UPS unit? If so, where would it be placed.

I love this particualr thread, I have read all 194 pages and check every morning for additional comments - and I don't even have a MH yet!!!
Al & Jane - RETIRED
(Nico, Smudge & Boo - Cocker Spaniels)
2017 Winnebago Journey 42E with 2013 Honda CR-V toad & 2 bicycles (just in case)
Dreams Do Come True

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
One simple thing I did was take a black sharpie and put a small mark inside the awning arms at the length I want that way when I put up the awning I don't have ti trial and error to get the height I want on each end. Makes for quick and easy awning setup.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

pigroaster
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry Atrick. Thanks for your kind words. I did get flamed but not smoked about my suggestions. I might post again some time but in the meantime I would be glad to assist anyone attempting any of my mods even the flame throwers!! The Pigroaster

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
Last night just accidentally came up with a new idea, meeting two requirements: I like to make choices that have green value and frugal value, and, as full timers, "Every square inch of space saved is a square in earned," to paraphrase a great genius.

I've had a hard time with learning to cook for two instead of five, but it's coming along. We bought groceries yesterday, and there was meat to divide and put away. I had been putting a meal's worth in a ziploc bag and putting them in the freezer. I felt bad about throwing out the bags, but washing and reusing raw meat bags doesn't appeal to me.

I have thought about getting a food vacuum thing, but it's just one more gadget to find space for.

Last night the simplest solution came to me, and I don't know why it never occurred to me before. I wrapped an individual meal's worth in cling wrap (I use Glad, whatever works for you) and dated it with a magic marker. The cling wrap fits closer than a zipper bag. It's not vaccum packing, but it allows less room for air contact than does a zipper bag. Freeze these items separately, then all like items go into a larger zipper bag, labeled with what it contains.

Now I can take out one meal's worth of chicken breasts, reclose the same bag, and put it back in the freezer. The cling wrap costs less than throwing away zippper bags and takes up less room in the trash. I believe that it will protect the meat nearly as well as a vaccum system. I leave the labeled zipper bag in the freezer even if it's empty, and reuse it when I repurchase that same cut of meat. I'm not tossing anyother zipper bag till it wears out.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
JerryAtrick wrote:

...When varistors are depleted you have no protection and you are not notified...

My son gets me power strip/surge protectors that do indicate when they are no longer providing protection. As long as the little LED is lit the protection is still good, when the LED goes out the protection is gone.

Welcome to the forum.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting post, JerryAtrick. Hopefully you will stay and contribute more.

P.S. You probably will... this place is addicting!

JerryAtrick
Explorer
Explorer
Many great ideas and many thanks to the contributors.

The 'Medical Emergency' thread is important to all travelers and every post offered relevent methods and precautions. Frankly, I would do them all in triplicate; instructions in each vehicle, on my persons and on my significant other's persons. I would add a copy with the vehicle registration and maybe even clipped to the visor (not on public display).

Not meaning to be gruesome but the plan should cover a worst case scenario where everyone is unconscience and the EMTs are minimally equipped. They are trained to check wallets and police will check registration. A good samaritan might even check the visor (without disturbing the 'scene'). It is the "Golden Hour" and every second counts; think, plan and then sleep easy.

I agree that the USB device is not a good choice. When have you ever seen an EMT rush to a victum and start booting up his Dell? Maybe in the ambulance (unless you are (both) receiving CPR). Maybe in the ER but I will tell you now that most large networks disable USB because of security risks. The metal bracelet is low-tech, recognizable and indestructible.

A small thing I learned from CSI is cell phone entries. Name them "Wife - cell", "Wife - work", Father, Doctor, Son, etc. so that first resonders can quickly notify next of kin. My phone has an "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) feature that I can program with very specific notes.

My 'gizmo' is a UPS - Uninterruptable Power Supply. Think of them as a surge protector on steroids. A simple power strip with surge protection has a small element called a "varistor" which protects by destroying itself. A generator is a large device that destroys varistors as do funky power drops at the CG. When varistors are depleted you have no protection and you are not notified. I use strips but I write the 'activation' date on them and discard after 12 months. For an RV I would discard after 6 months.

Simple math says that a $100 UPS will protect all of your big ticket electronics (TV, computer, ipad, kindle, cell phone) for 5 years for less that 10 surge strips. Replace the battery and you get 5 more years at double the savings. They are portable so the B&S uses the same UPS and when you press "OFF" there is no parasitic power loss and your equipment is totally isolated.

The battery aspect is irrelevent in terms of watching the late show during a blackout; though you could. The battery is, in this case, the surge protector (blocking spikes of high voltage), the 'brown out' protector (supplementing low voltage) and transient suppression (when you switch from shore to gen to inverter). It does more but it gets techy.

The other "gizmo" is a 'heads up' about LED lighting; it is super efficient. I calculated that you could put one LED every 6 inches over the entire ceiling of a 30 ft. RV and it would take two weeks to discharge a standard 12 volt battery 50%. 300 LEDs use the same amount of power as one standard, 7 1/2 watt home night light.

Yes they have a different hue and, yes they are not going to replace every lighting requirement but they are changing the whole equation. By that I mean that we used to buy based on 'watts' now we buy based on 'lumens' - the actual amount of visable light. Heads up.

For those of you who hang out a strand of lights on the canopy I suggest you spend $10 on a christmas clearance sale this winter and hang a strand of LEDs at the next camp. I think you will find them soothing, non-blinding, more light than you need and, as my DW claims "romantic". "If it's rockin', don't come knockin'" At my B&S I have them strung in the garage, patio and lanai. 6 hours per night cost 2 cents per month.

kebmw
Explorer
Explorer
Finally finished this thread and trying to think of something I can contribute that is new...:)

I use a large square plastic dish tub in my sink to wash dishes. I've had it since our tent camping days. It helps me save on too much water going into the gray tank during a long camping trip. I can also avoid having food particles going down the drain better by using this. It fits just about perfectly in one side of my sink and I can throw dishes in there throughout the day as I usually try to only do dishes once a day if possible. Since the dishes are soaking in a little soapy water during the day, cleaning up later on is very easy. Just add some really hot water and soap. I can also yank that dish tub out of the sink and put it somewhere out of the way when preparing the next meal so that my counter and sink is free for cooking. I recently learned from this thread to put some of that used soapy water down the black tank to help keep things slippery and clean in there. (great idea!)

Another thing I do is use a large plastic storage bin to store some trailer things that I don't want to leave in our 5W during the 100 degree days we get down here in the Summer. After a camping trip during these days, I pull out citronella candles, batteries, pantry items that can't take the heat or I don't want to leave to attract bugs (sugar, honey, syrup), bathroom soaps and shampoos, just anything that doesn't do well in intense heat. It all goes in the storage box in the stick house and then when it's time to camp again, it all goes back out in one trip.

Another thing I do is keep a running shopping list on a little bulletin board and replace supplies on my next trip to the store after a camping trip. I always keep a second, unopened box of most staples that we use a lot and when the new box gets opened, the item immediately goes on the list. (i.e. toilet paper, paper towels, ziplocs, napkins, pantry staples, toiletries, batteries, propane cylinders... etc.) We usually don't run out of anything and everyone in our group knows to come check with me for whatever they forgot. ๐Ÿ˜‰

That's all I can think of for now.
~Karin
camping with DH, DS, 2 dogs
Ford F350, Jayco 28.5BHS

vmckague
Explorer
Explorer
Any one brand of car/RV wax?

shagan77
Explorer
Explorer
Quick tip for the shower area, I used rv/car wax on the sides of the shower (not the floor) and whal-la, no water spots!
2015 Sierra Denali 3500 Duramax\Dually
2011 Cyclone 3950 HD
2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S Limited (DW's)
Usually a keg of beer....

WildPlumYonder
Explorer
Explorer
Earlier in the thread there was a discussion about emergency medical info on a thumb drive (flash drive, USB drive, etc etc).

If there was a time in the past where a hospital would look at info on a thumb drive, the recent Stuxnet virus is pretty much guaranteed to have IT depts across the world disallowing the use of such devices in the future. It's just too risky to computer systems, and even protected or isolated systems (like the system which runs the pharmacy or imaging devices). This is likely to be extended to any USB deice with memory and storage, like iPods, cameras, etc.
TT: 2017 Keystone Hideout 21FQWB (prior 2011 FR Wolf Pup, 1990 Starcraft tent trailer, tent camping)
TV: 2013 Ford F150 5.0 V8, 373
(map is where I've camped, not where I've lived or visited)

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
sh4717 wrote:
ctpres wrote:
Blue painters tape. We have found more uses than I could ever dream up. Won't leave home without it.

Ok, I'm biting.... ๐Ÿ™‚ Other than painting, what do you use blue painters tape for?

In addtiion to above: storage container contents label, temp curtain using towel, close gaps in cab curtian and thermal drapes, hold instructions in place willl working outside in windy conditions, sub. for magnetic parts holder when working with small parts, hold parts to tool like screwdriver when reaching into deep holes, label wires when taking things apart, put some on end of stick to get something out of small space- like I dropped screw in floor register, great bookmark that won't fall out. Sure I forgot some, just seems to have a lot of uses when working with limited resources such as when camping.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

horseylady
Explorer
Explorer
ctpres wrote:
Blue painters tape. We have found more uses than I could ever dream up. Won't leave home without it.

Blue painters tape is wonderful stuff. Use it to tape a note to a cabinet (it won't tend to fall off like sticky notes), or the receipt to an item you plan to return. It will not take off the finish of what it was taped to like masking tape or duct tape. Label freezer items and it will be easily removed when you take the item from the freezer.But keep in mind that it has almost no holding power (weight).
Pam and Bob
Boon (Jack Russell), Jezzie (Australian Shepherd)
2017 Winnebago View 24V
RVing since 1973 but always learning

jamsvet
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of uses for painters tape