cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

mike9955
Explorer
Explorer
Newebe 5er try tip;)

On your 5th wheel and attach a retractable tape measure to the side of your king pin hitch. When you uncouple, measure and write down the distance from the tape measure to the ground, then you level the trailer height. When getting ready to leave, pull down the tape measure to the height at which you uncoupled and raise the legs until you reach that distance. Then back the truck in and it is always at the perfect height. Takes the guess work out on king pin height and saves lots of time.

Also, paint a white strip on your truck mounted hitch and on the top of the king pin. Your then able to line up the hitch and king pin by using the rearview mirror. Between the ruler and the painted strip, youโ€™ll be able to connect the truck and unit in one try!!! That is exceptional for me...prior to these simple additions I would in and out of the truck ensuring correct height and alignment maybe 4-6 times.
Forest River, Palomino, 2010 Sabre 31 RETS

2010 Dodge Ram 3500 ST Crew Cab 4X4, 6.7 Cummings Turbo Diesel, SRW, Short Bed, Reece 15K Slider Hitch

TravelingTarhee
Explorer
Explorer
What a great idea for "hanging" on to your glasses. I have lost so many pairs of prescription sunglasses. Thanks so much for sharing this hint. Definitely something I'll make use of.

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
As the 'nagivator' I seem to always be changing from sunglasses to reading glasses to read maps and directions for DH. Consequently, I was always looking for a place to put the glasses that I had just taken off. I came up with the perfect solution for me. I hope it helps someone else!

I purchased 2 inexpensive eyeglass cases with belt clips from Walmart and hung them on the cord organizers (see link below).

I had also purchased 2 large (12mm size) cord organizer clips by 3M Command Hooks and stuck them to the wall beside my seat far enough apart to accept the 2 eyeglass cases and be able to insert and remove the eyeglasses easily and are protected at all times. I had tried just hanging my glasses on the cord organizers at first but they swung and rattled around too much. Hence the eyeglass cases.

Now when I take off either set of eyeglasses, I can put them right into the eyeglass cases. I put 2 up so that I have a place to put both sets of eyeglasses when not in use.

Command Strips Double clip cord organizer

(the first one in second row)
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

crazyoldcoot
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed one of those large entry door handles that are on most newer campers. I think I am going to like it.
Also found a shower caddy at Wal-mart made out of net material.Hangs up in the shower and soap and shampoo and razor can dry and not make a mess.

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
I had forgotten all about the odjob cement mixer! It would work perfectly for a composter and the ones I have seen are a dark green so the color would be good.

alstont
Explorer
Explorer
Denise in Ark wrote:
A 5-gallon bucket (black if I could find one) could simply be rolled for the same effect as a regular compost tumbler. I've heard that they make compost in as little as two weeks.

Sounds like you're possibly looking for something similar to the Odjob Mixer. It is touted to do great with composting.

mike9955
Explorer
Explorer
3 days and ALL read..:R.
Thanks for the 'help'..some I did not know I needed, but now I see the light!:B

To add to the file:

Three aerosol sprays that RVโ€™ers should not be without โ€“
WD-40, White Lithium Grease, and Silicone Spray Lubricant.

The WD-40 is handy for keeping locks, latches and hinges lubricated, preventing corrosion of metal parts, and treating wet electrical connections.

The White Lithium Grease is good for the slide outs, tongue jack and screw-jack type stabilizers, ball hitches and coupler latches, and preventing corrosion on suspension and frame parts.

Silicone Spray Lubricant is great for any location where lubrication is needed but oily residue is undesirable. Use it on your slide-out seals, the screen door and cranking spots.

Have F U N!!!!:C
Forest River, Palomino, 2010 Sabre 31 RETS

2010 Dodge Ram 3500 ST Crew Cab 4X4, 6.7 Cummings Turbo Diesel, SRW, Short Bed, Reece 15K Slider Hitch

rustycopperball
Explorer
Explorer
Bump

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
JimBollman wrote:
I use ball bungees for those kind of jobs, I always keep a few extras in the drawer.

Jim...

If you need tiny bungees, look in the hair accessories aisle. There are little elastics with balls on the ends that are perfect.

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that idea. We do have a food processor. And you know what else I remember now is that scraps which have been frozen break down faster. A 5-gallon bucket (black if I could find one) could simply be rolled for the same effect as a regular compost tumbler. I've heard that they make compost in as little as two weeks. I'd heard that worms need a pretty stable temperature and it probably gets too hot in summer and I know too cold in winter for them to survive outside. I'm loving the idea of a tiny compost tumbler though.

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Do you carry a blender with you Denise? If so just blend your coffee grounds and peelings and mix in a plastic bucket with a tight fitting lid and a little soil. Maybe throw in a few worms, shouldn't take up much room and who knows, it may work!

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
A well done compost pile is neither stinky or a health hazard. I'm trying to think of a smaller way to go about one of those compost roller things. Since all I have is a few peelings and coffee grounds daily, it wouldn't need to be very big. The vermiculture idea is a really good one and I know a lot of people who do that under their sinks. Unfortunately, whatever I do needs to be outdoors because I have used up ALL of the room inside. Composting is an amazing thing and so earth friendly it seems a shame not to do it.

sh4717
Explorer
Explorer
welsteach-Thanks for the tip on the foam in the bedroom windows! I had some foam cushions laying in the garage so I took your advise and cut them to fit the windows. I used them this weekend and what a great idea! Especially for us as we camp at the sand dunes quite often where there is light and a ton of noise late in the evening. Killed two birds with one stone.

Thanks again!
Scott
2019 Northwood Nash 24M
2018 Ram Ecodiesel

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a small, one half gallon counter-top compost pail. Cost is only $29.95 and is stainless. Good luck in the journey.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

susiemw
Explorer
Explorer
Denise in Ark wrote:
OK here's an oddball that may or may not have an answer: We are full timers who eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies and I'd kind of like to compost. Has anyone seen a compost bin that would be great for RV's? The idea of a countertop trash container is great. At one park where we lived, I took my scraps up to the manager's shed where there was an ongoing compost pile. However, I do carry some pots of plants around so I wouldn't mind making and using my own compost, either.

How about a small vermiculture bin under the sink? That is the only think I can think of but I think it would work well.

Here is a link that might be useful:
http://earth911.com/news/2007/04/02/composting-with-worms/
Susan
Just getting started.
'89 Itasca Sundancer
'93 VW Eurovan