cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Mule_Skinner
Explorer
Explorer
I saw these at a campground. I'll have to make a set.

Flikr location
Gerry Lori and the 2003 Damon Intruder
MSgt USAF Ret. 1985:B
1988 Goldwing with 2005 Champion Trike Conversion
:C

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
CactusJohn wrote:
That cutting board looks like a great idea. Can you provide more details/pictures of the construction? Did this replace the metal folding cover that came with the stove?

I haven't read further to see if this was answered. What we did was go to the Ikea as is section, and I found a perfect size piece of finished wood there (finished on all six sides). It's not quite a perfect match colourwise, but sizewise, it's awesome. Sits over the cooktop while camping, and slides under the bunk when travelling. I put non slip padding from the dollar store under it when in use.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
RCL wrote:
haven't read the whole thread, so this may be a duplicate. I have a small wet erase board with a pen fastened to the inside of one cabinet. Every time I see something we need or something to fix, it goes on the board.

But then DW expects me to actually do something about it.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

RCL
Explorer
Explorer
haven't read the whole thread, so this may be a duplicate. I have a small wet erase board with a pen fastened to the inside of one cabinet. Every time I see something we need or something to fix, it goes on the board.

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
Pig Roaster:

You have inspired me to go build something, don't know what yet, just anything! Thanks for all the great ideas and even better directions.
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!

MAC
Explorer
Explorer
woof wrote:
Sounds gross, but if you use car wax on the inside of the toilet bowl it keeps it nice and clean and don't have to use a brush, well hardly ever.

Just spray a little PAM in it and you don't have to touch it at all works just as well .
2016 Monaco Dynasty P 4 slides and 600 HP
Pace FL near Pensacola
Life member

jellenn
Explorer
Explorer
Horsey lady, not just the bathroom thingy,.. shoot my stick house kitchen!
Queen Bee and the Hornets Nest

Jill, Jason, the Boy, 3 Girls and our Poodle Mix, Rascal.
2005 Keystone Hornet 24 RSL
2007 2500 HD CHevy with a duramax.

horseylady
Explorer
Explorer
Pigroaster, you taking orders for that bathroom thingy?
Pam and Bob
Boon (Jack Russell), Jezzie (Australian Shepherd)
2017 Winnebago View 24V
RVing since 1973 but always learning

pigroaster
Explorer
Explorer
The top photo is the jig used to drill on an angle. If you look at it the top is up so you can see the angle the holes will be if you imagine the back being straight up. The next photo is the unit in place. The towel rack also shows up. The last photo is the unit after I lacquered it and installed the aluminum on the sides of each inner hole.

pigroaster
Explorer
Explorer
Bathroom accessories cabinet.
I made this unit from blue foam with hardwood glued to all sides. The idea is to eventually cut holes on a 30 degree angle so items stay in place when unit is mounted. I suggest cutting through the wood using a hole saw with centre drill out on the flat and then put pilot drill back in and place box on the jig. It is open underneath for the clamps to hold it when you drill the foam on the angle. the cutouts will be glued into the hole bottoms and aluminum siding coloured will be rolled up and inserted in each hole. The unit is mounted with two screws on the inside of your medicine cabinet. I have the following items stored in the unit when we park: toothpaste, two battery operated toothbrushes, my shaver, Q tips etc..It can be tricky to drill on the angle. You will need an extra set of hands and drill press. Be careful. This uses spare space in our unit!

RoadWarriors2
Explorer
Explorer
WOW - pigroaster - you RULE!!
Tony & Maria :B

2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QSH
Cat C7
Freightliner
Allison 3000
Jeep Liberty

Viet Nam Vet 66-67, 173rd Assault Helicopter Crew Chief - "Robin Hoods"

Travel Blog: www.roadwarriors2.blogspot.com

Another day, another 100,000 brain cells gone........

pigroaster
Explorer
Explorer
This is rear photo of cold smoker.

Good luck and happy smoking. If you do not want to build one and want to buy everything look up "smoke pistols"

pigroaster
Explorer
Explorer
The cold smoker can be used as a hot smoker if you wish. The end cap which is bolted to the bottom stays in place when you use as a regular BBQ. I used the brass tube because I had it on hand. You should get a 2 hour smoke using this set up. I use oak and cherry small pieces cut up on my band saw and shavings from my planer to blend my smoking mixture. Good luck! Try cold smoking your steaks befoe you cook them.

pigroaster
Explorer
Explorer
Cold Smoker for BBQ.

Use 3 inch dryer tubing with two end caps. One end is opened up with snips and bolted to bottom of one burner in BBQ. The other end is screwed in place and acts as a reducer to the brass tube used in this prototype. I made the burner from stainless steel and pop riveted it in place. The bottom is a hand formed end from the 2 inch brass tubing with thumb screws. A wooden form was used to shape the end. An aquarium pump supplies the air to the combustion chamber and a piece of lit charcoal supplies the pieces of wood chips to start the smoke. A valve controls how much air is pumped into the burner. Another winner!!

pigroaster
Explorer
Explorer
Wine/Liquor Bottle Storage Unit

This unit holds 11 bottles. The unit is made from 3/8 inch plywood with cherry trim on the edges. It measures 17.5 inches long x 13 3/8 inches wide x 7 inches high. The wine bottle area has no bottom and the liquor boxes have 3/8 bottoms glued and brad nailed in place. The dado is 1/8 deep x 3/8 wide 2 inches in from inside of the box at the ends. Make the wine bottle supports by taking two pieces of cherry or your choice and make it 3/8 x 3 ยพ x 12 ยพ. Cut out 3 inch and 1 ยผ inch holes with hole saws and then cut each piece down the middle = 4 pcs. Shorten the top 2 pieces by 1/16 inch to allow an easy slide in. The bottom wine bottle holders are glued and brad nailed in place. The second row of wine goes in the opposite way to the ones in bottom row. The three liquor areas are about 3 and 7/8 inches square inside. If you do the math the one in the middle is larger. The box bottoms have felt installed. The 3 boxes are dado joins which are glued for strength. The dado depth is 1/8 inch. The top trim hides all dados. I store this unit in our closet when travelling. It will take a long day to make this project. Measure twice and cut once. The corners of the main frame are made using a drawer router bit but you could use a dado so they have ยผ inch of contact. The drawer bit allows more glue contact and is easier to square the box at assembly as the pieces lock together when the ends are glued. The top trim was glued and held in place with masking tape.