cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

kottfam6wi
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
John Wayne wrote:
Have posted this before but didn't see it listed here. FREE awning lock. take and re-bend your awning rod so the top bend is about 4 inches long. Now take the rod and slide it into the hole in the end of the awning tube (this is the same hole that the pull down strap slides in). The rod will now be hanging down along the rear awning arm. Take a length of rope and run it through the loop on the bottom of the awning rod now run the rope through the hole in the foot of the awning leg. Tie the ends together and your awning is locked the wind will not be able to open it while traveling down the road. And you know where your awning rod is.

Something similar

The tension in the awning will rip that rod out and snap those zip ties like kite string.
Joe
Our Family Pictures
Joe & Erika
Chris-16, Emily-12, Jessica-10, Jason-9, Derek-4
"Rallies Attended 19 1/2" (Wahoo!! we're catching up!)
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 5.9L CTD
2005 K-Z Durango 315BH 5th Wheel (2nd Camper)

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Have posted this before but didn't see it listed here. FREE awning lock. take and re-bend your awning rod so the top bend is about 4 inches long. Now take the rod and slide it into the hole in the end of the awning tube (this is the same hole that the pull down strap slides in). The rod will now be hanging down along the rear awning arm. Take a length of rope and run it through the loop on the bottom of the awning rod now run the rope through the hole in the foot of the awning leg. Tie the ends together and your awning is locked the wind will not be able to open it while traveling down the road. And you know where your awning rod is.

Something similar

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

rick-ia
Explorer
Explorer
portscanner wrote:
I think this is the net you want

One of those should work for what I have in mind, Thanks

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is the net you want
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

rick-ia
Explorer
Explorer
An elastic net is what I'm considering, the top of the cabinet has a recess area I'm trying to make better use of. The height would only need to be 8-12".
Some of those nets might work if I could cut to size & reattach a good edge.

tnscoutr
Explorer
Explorer
Tailgate net?
06 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab Powerstroke
2015 Keystone Hideout 30RKDS

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
It there any way to make this work?

Gear Hammock
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

pammi
Explorer
Explorer
Could you buy one made for toys and modify it for your needs?
2004 Rockwood Roo 23B (new to us in April, 2007)
2006 Nissan Xterra

When we camp, it's DH & me mostly. :B

rick-ia
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a net system to go on top of a couple of cabinets approx. 5' long. (to keep items in place while traveling). What have others used for this?
I know some are used in the trunks & back of suv's. I suppose I could find some in an auto salvage. But are any made for camper use? Thanks for any replies.

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I use my Acer Aspire One as: a laptop, internet device (with Verizon aircard), TV, DVD (external DVD attached), GPS, FM radio, and MP3 player.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Time to bump this up.

My favorite extra is a tension rod that we put in the shower to hang wet things. Only need to use it where there isn't any place to dry outdoors.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I too use large nails (landscape timer nails) with a 1/4" fender washer under the head to keep the loops of the ground cloth from comming off the nail.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Paw_Paw_Festus
Explorer
Explorer
I typed two simple SOPs. One for winterizing and one for summer commissioning.
I laminated them and posted them on the inside cabinet doors above the sink in the 5er.
I still have my owners manual, but I don't have to keep up with pages in a book.
Just open a door and check em off one by one with an erasable marker.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
I usually use 5" long nails to hold the outdoor mat in place,but there are times that they won't do the job,sandy soil etc. I just picked up 4, 5 pound barbell weights to use.They are 6 1/2" diameter and 3/4 " thick.They work better than rocks and not so easy to trip over.I will be painting them some bright color to make them more visible.(Day glow maybe?)
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06