cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

T5Bird
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up one of these little beauties at the RV show this year.

Finally had a chance to use it this weekend and I think I may buy one for the house. :B By far my favorite camping appliance, miles ahead of the old stand up Coleman deal. ๐Ÿ˜ž

http://www.camp-a-toaster.com
1988 F-250 7.3 diesel...Banks Charged. / 2005 Fleetwood Pioneer 180CK

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
fullmoonoversalem wrote:
NCHornet1 wrote:
Levelair Air Bags

The above is the best gizmo I have purchased for my trailer. No more getting the level close. I am dead on all the time. Adjustments are done easily without moving the trailer. I can't say enough how terriffic these bags are. I made a Y adaptor to fill both bags at the same time. I am perfectly level in less than 2 min. With a total height of 4" they have worked everytime. The best part is no more hauling a lumber yard with me on vacation!!!

I saw those. I tried to connect with them and they never answer their phone calls. Are they still in business? Didn't answer email either.

They finally connected with us. We purchased the bags too. They are highly reccommended by other RVers that we know.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

cakepa
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else have trouble with worn out or weak, (what do you call those things anyway) gizmos that hold the hatchback of cars open and some of the outside cargo doors open on an RV? I got tired of the door hitting me in the head when I was getting out the electric cord or the holding tank drain hose and came up with an idea to hold them without looking for and buying new ones. I cut a few pieces of 1/2 inch plastic PVC water pipe (very cheap at the hardware store) to the right length and then made a little less than a 1/4 inch slot down one side with my table saw so that I can slip it on. Now when I raise the door, my invention falls into place and holds it up. And when I want to close it, I just slide the "pipe" over the worn out cylinder and shut the door.

I have photos of this, but I don't know how to post them to this site. If anyone wants to post them for me, send me a private message and I will email them to you. Or send me a PM and I will send them to you anyway if you are curious about what I am talking about.
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!:W

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
I use those spring bars to keep and long skinny rug on my steps... Tuck one in the corner and one at the top of the facing and the rug stays put.....
2004 Meridian towing 96 Tracker
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

In God We Trust ALL Others pay CASH

bluehairswife
Explorer
Explorer
DH had a lot of trouble trying to get the fresh water hose attached to the camper when we set up. We bought quick release adapters for our fresh water hose and inlet. It takes him just a second to attach and/or unattach the hose now. Best little investment we have made for the camper I think.
Steve and Phyllis
2006 HR Presidential 36SKQ 5er
2004 F-350 Lariat CC DRW PSD Fx4 LB
Ruthie the yellow labbie and Mittens the cat, homebodies

knowles5150
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you like me with an older unit, I always wanted to know 2 things, what is the actual temp in the camper and how cold is my Fridge getting.

I bought one of those $10 indoor/outdoor thermometers that runs forever on a a AAA battery, mounted it next to the fridge door, and ran the outdoor sensor and mounted it in the Fridge. This way I adjust the AC to the Indoor Thermometer, and I adjust the fridge using the Outdoor side. I then know at a glance if my Fridge is staying cold, or I forgot to turn it off when I meant to. The unit I have also records highs and lows, it amazes me it can get to 123 degrees in a closed up camper in the summer time!

Merrymac
Explorer
Explorer
We use the baby locks on the deep drawer under our stove, where we store pans. Since the drawer is heavy, it had a tendency to open while we were underway. No problem since we installed the baby locks. Ellen
Dennis, Ellen and furkid Abby
2002 Carriage Cameo
2005 Freightliner Sport Chassis

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea, Videoguy. I, too, get used to the outside temp reading in our other car.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Videoguy
Explorer
Explorer
I like to know what the outside temperature is and since our MH is an older unit (1995) it did not come with a built in thermometer. We have gotten spoiled since both our cars have them and have had for some years. I came across an inexpensive wireless remote thermometer at WalMart. Yes I know wireless remote units have been available for quite a while. But all I wanted was temperature, didn't need all the information a lot of them gave you. (I have the Weather Channel for that other stuff) This unit is by Accu Rite and sells for $9.98, consists of a sensor and a receiver with a digital display of inside and outside temps. I bought 2 of them figuring that they operated on the same frequency since they were so cheap. I have placed the sensor unit under the MH in Propane gas compartment, as far away from the tank as possible. That way it is exposed to the outside air and still not in any wind blast that might affect it or blow it off. One Receiver is in the front of our unit and the other is back in the bedroom. Both are receiving just fine. Now when I have to get up first thing in the morning to walk the dogs I have an idea of what to wear just by glancing at the thermometer in the bedroom. Same thing goes at night for their last walk of the day.

The second sensor? Keep it in the MH just in case something happens to the first.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Also to get the "stuff" from sticking to the bowl. Carry one of those big soaker water guns. Have fun while in the can!

To Fullmoonoversalem: Yes you could run an air compressor thru the copper pipe and create a blowtorch, but you need to drive the compressor with a generator. Preferably 10hp or larger. Or it you really need to play with this idea why not get a leaf blower and attach progressively smaller pipes to the end and run that into the fire!
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Hoppers4
Explorer
Explorer
woof wrote:
Sounds gross, but if you use car wax on the inside of the toilet bowl it keeps it nice and clean and don't have to use a brush, well hardly ever.

Great idea woof. I'm gonna give that one a try cuz I certainly don't like the stuff sticking to the plastic bowl.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
Ace Hardware sells these fireplace pokers for $6.49 that are excellent. I bought 10-12 of them and now my friends in my camping club all have one also.

They also sell these fireplace tongs for the same price that would be worthwhile having.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
Use dampened Bounce fabric softener sheets to get bugs off the front end.

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
This is one of my favorite's. Go to Lowes or HD and get an 18" piece of copper pipe about 3/8 or 1/4 diameter. Put a piece of tape around one end. You now have the greatest tool ever made to keep your campfire going if the wood is wet or a little to green. If you've ever spent the night blowing on a fire trying to keep it going or to get it to flare up again, you will love this. It will turn the smallest flame into a blowtorch in nothing flat.
edit: obviously you blow into the end with the tape

Could you hook it up to your portable air compressor and create a blow torch?:)
2017 Coachmen Galleria

Jaybird
Explorer
Explorer
I bought two of those draining soap holders that normally go in the shower, but two way taped them to the dash board to the dash board, perfect size to hold cell phones

jb
32' Fleetwood Southwind,
Chevrolet HHR with Stowmaster
"Wrong side of the fence for the rest of the State of California"