cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Bit_Bucket
Explorer
Explorer
Just Jeff wrote:
Makes me wonder if the reason it's not a sticky has to do with CW's profits. Whatever - their playground, their rules.

I Know! I'm tired of all these conspiracies! We have to stand up for our rights better... :W

dcmpfam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great tips! Just read through all 295 pages and have TONS of new ideas for hubby to start tackling this weekend when we pick up our "new to us" TT.

Hopefully after using our TT once or twice, I'll have some info to add to this thread.

Just_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Just read all 2944 posts! Took me a bit...

This thread has more sticky requests than most threads have POSTS! Makes me wonder if the reason it's not a sticky has to do with CW's profits. Whatever - their playground, their rules.

Here are a few things I did.
- Installed ball valves to isolate different parts of the plumbing...mainly the parts where the water lines run outside the rig and aren't compartmented. Now I can use only the "safe" parts when it's hovering around freezing and leave the other stuff winterized (like the outdoor kitchen and shower).

- Bought thermal-backed curtains from Walmart that match our interior. We had been hanging a fleece blanket from the cabover but these will just slide open and closed and look much nicer. Just have to find some decent looking cordage for the slider so the wife will approve. Also have a windshield cover that insulates all the glass around the cab...should make it a bit cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

- Replaced the 12v halogens with 12-panel LEDs from eBay ("G4 12-LED 5050 SMD Spotlight Lamp Warm White 12V 24V 2.4W For Boat Marine" for $32 per 10-pack). Not quite as bright as the halogens but plenty bright enough for what we needed and will save a lot of power. We're leaving the halogens in places where we need task lighting.

- Did some woodwork in the bedroom to make the TV more user-friendly and open up some storage. The way Jayco did it didn't make any sense. Here are some more details, and an rv.net discussion thread here.

- Just got a Trashbag Holder that hangs on the cabinet instead of using a normal trash can. This will let us recycle plastic shopping bags as trash bags, and are easier (and less conspicuous) to throw away at rest stops and such. I've read that some states consider RV trash to be household trash, and they can fine you for dumping if you use rest stop areas. Not sure how true that is, but this looks convenient anyway. Haven't actually had it on a trip yet.

- Just got the parts yesterday to make the stinky slinky holder. Gonna use a 5"x5" vinyl fencepost, but install it into the side of the RV instead of hanging it underneath. Pics to follow.

- Got an extra 8' length of the 5"x5" vinyl fencepost to store the GPL 7' folding ladder under the RV as well. Pics coming.

- Have a pretty major electrical upgrade in the works but that will have its own pic thread. 690 AH of AGM batteries, Magnus 2000 watt inverter, solar panels, etc.

- I didn't see anyone discussing dryer lint firestarters over the last 295 pages, so...just kidding. I'll let that one rest.

Lastly, I used Pinterest to keep track of mods I want to do. You need a picture to link directly to something, but you can use any pic and change the internet address. Here are the links to my RV things:
- RV Mods to Do
- RV Tips, Tricks and General Info
- Our Greyhawk RV with Mods
2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Buy two silver trays. Fill one with little use items. Rotate second one 180 degrees and put on top of first one. Double your storage.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
Any smell coming out of shoes just can't be good.

PGR_Skye
Explorer
Explorer
Ooops! Maybe I should have phrased it "fresh smelling" not sweet smelling.
Darrell & Madonna
Furkid, GSD Sigfried
2001 Patriot Thunder by Beaver
Jeep Grand Cherokee

PGR_Skye
Explorer
Explorer
Are we going to let this forum die? Don't know if this has been covered or not, but I'm going to put softener sheets in each of our shoes when not wearing them to keep everything sweet smelling in the RV. In fact, I'm doing it at home as well.
Darrell & Madonna
Furkid, GSD Sigfried
2001 Patriot Thunder by Beaver
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
debaets wrote:
This is an idea I learned about here or one of the other foums. We placed a small white dry erase board to the back of the cupboard. When we arrive at a new campground I write the name, address, spot number and phone number of the campground. If one of us need the paramedics in the middle of he night we know where we are.

I bought a dry erase board, took all of the frame and backing off so it was JUST the dry erase part. Hot glued some magnets to the back and stuck it to the refrigerator door.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
I used to do something similar. I glued a cork board to the inside of the cupboard & thumbtack the paperwork that the CG gives you.

Now I have a 5-section utensil holder that I "museum puttied" to the dining table, & I put the paperwork in the napkin holder portion. I like the utensil holder on the table because I also keep my computer mouse, glasses, salt & pepper, etc in the compartments. And since it's clear acrylic, I can see what's in it.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
debaets wrote:
This is an idea I learned about here or one of the other foums. We placed a small white dry erase board to the back of the cupboard. When we arrive at a new campground I write the name, address, spot number and phone number of the campground. If one of us need the paramedics in the middle of he night we know where we are.

Great idea. I was trying to think of a good place to put a small dry erase board just to make notes for a shopping list (constantly was loosing the little pieces of paper) and I did not think about putting it there. Also adding the information you outlined above makes it even better!
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
debaets wrote:

One more of many good ideas. I will use this one.
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT
2007 Honda CR-V as a toad
Vietnam Vets. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes you may get compensation.

debaets
Explorer
Explorer
Steve & Jeri De Baets
Manhattan Beach, CA.
2004 Dolphin 5342
79 VW Convertible, Triple Black

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
I cut hubby's hair and going outside to do it is not an option. For years the routine was to pull up all the rugs and have him seated on a little round camp stool with a round pad (so it stays put but hubby can swivel easily as I need him to turn....and then vacuum the mess up. The cleaning up afterwards was what I dreaded.

The light bulb went on when I spotted a CLOTH shower curtain in a bargain bin. The material was very light weight and very slick. Nothing clings to it. 70" x 72" 100% polyester. I lay it down on the floor and put the chair in the middle. I cut hubby's hair wet with an electric clippers. I use a hand vac to get what I can off his shoulders before he stands up. Then I just roll up the shower curtain and shake it off outside... far enough out of the way to not matter. Done.

Oh, and in the winter, I use that same shower curtain by the front door to keep the cold from coming into the rig. It's amazing what a difference it makes.
Kathy

kish73
Explorer
Explorer
HappyTrailsRVing, that is a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing it! Our Jay Feather is one of those who's mattress hangs over the platform! I'll have to give this a try!

Karen in Upstate SC

HappyTrailsRVin
Explorer
Explorer
One of my favorite hints.............sew a extra length onto the end of your flat sheet, they stay tucked in. Some RV mattress hang over the end of the platform. This extra length is a big help. I even have done this to my sheets at home.
Alicia and Roger
Mission, TX (winter)
Travel (summer)
94' Safari Motor Home